The official 1 watt thread.

• Thread starter Georgiatec
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jakeboy

Reaction score
Well I picked up another 1x10...a David Laboga oversized 1x10....now it sits on the other 1x10 so I have a cool stack running them in series at 16 ohms with the JMP1.

Ran vintage low-wind P90s into her tonight hitting a treble booster on the way in. OMG what a great sound.

With buckers I am finding that a Lovepedal OD11 just rules with a White Zendrive a close second....oh hell yeah, my Colorsound Overdriver clone, the Tree of Life Pedal Co. Big Blue also just rocks in the JMP1h.

KelvinS1965

Reaction score
I got my JMP1H out at the weekend as I haven't used it for ages (pretty much since I got my Mini Jubilee head). I'm going to have a proper side by side test, but I'm thinking that I can get close enough to the JMP1H from my Jubilee/Xotic SL drive pedal that the 1 watt is redundant.

However my JMP1H is one that I bought about 2 years ago, long after the original anniversary range was launched. It doesn't have the '50th' label on the back like the 'originals', so I wonder if this will make it less collectable?

Pricing also seems to be all over the place: One shop reckoned that they would sell it for £300, so based their trade in offer as 2/3 of that (which I feel would be giving it away). I've seen asking prices of £500-600 on eBay/Gumtree and even over £900 on Reverb (though as it's still for sale months later, perhaps that is a bit optimistic).

I'd sell the cab with it, but I guess some buyers wouldn't want it if they are just collecting the heads, so I could be left with a cab that no one wants but wasn't cheap to have made. I already have the matching 2x12 cab for my Mini Jubilee.

What do you all think is reasonable to sell it for (given the lack of 50th label) and do you think there would be much interest in the matching cab?

daiku

Reaction score
I have to join in here. I'm not only a new member for the 1 Watt Club, I'm a new member of the Marshall family.

My DSL1CR is my first ever Marshall amp. I'm a middle aged guy, and my current amp needs are strictly living room only, so I couldn't resist grabbing the DSL1CR, which just debuted this year. I'm not a huge overdrive player (more of a clean and mild OD player), but I am having an absolute blast with this little guy. All tube, two channels ("Classic Gain" and "Ultra Gain") and a very useable digital reverb, with an 8 inch Celestion speaker.

This thing just sounds so REAL at low volumes. I'm getting a really nice clean, wonderful light grit, and Who-like overdrive. And with my Reverend Flatroc, I can play the contour knob off the OD level and get all kinds of flavors. Really having fun with this!

Dkv3tMPWwAU1udR.jpg

Last edited:

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well l haven’t been here for a while....

I just received a DSL1HR last week, but the 1-12 cabinet, (MX112R), I bought with it won’t be in till the end of the month. :(

I’m dying to try it out but my only other cab is 8ohm. Oh well, I just gotta wait 3 more weeks! :noplease:

Sailindawg

Reaction score
:shrug:Reading the manual clearly shows only 16 ohm output.

To hit the price point of the amp they cut out the 8 ohm tap.

Last edited:

slagg

Reaction score
extra tap coming out of the OT can it be 8 ohm tap? How do you check this ?
I would guess it may be.

Attachments

• dsl1_05.jpg
    dsl1_05.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
:shrug:Reading the manual clearly shows only 16 ohm output.

To hit the price point of the amp they cut out the 8 ohm tap.
The original didn't have a separate tap. The amp has an L-Pad attenuator. Maybe they changed something, but, the original 50th Ann amps (JVM1 & DSL1) were both ok w/ either/or. They said min 8 ohm, but, IIRC, I was told 4 would be ok too.

Here's the original manual:

https://www.americanmusical.com/ItemFiles/Manual/Marshall_DSL1_manual.pdf

upload_2018-9-7_18-41-44.png

Note the single speaker out. Not sure why they changed it. While 1 watt can seem pretty loud, you're still only pushing 1-3 watts.

Speaking for the 50th Ann, they are pretty robust. I've talked to Santiago quite a few x's & just about everything I threw at him, he said that the amp could take it.

Read this a couple x's & gather all it entails:

Question for Santiago (YJM100)

The thread is talking about running the 1 watt amp, as a pre-amp, using the speaker out as a line signal.

Note: speaker out - line in, means that there is NO speaker load - period.

Maybe they totally went cheap on the new DSL model, IDK, but, generally, the low wattage amps can handle a lot. I even talked to Steve about the C5, & he noted that he spent many hours in testing, w/o any speakers hooked up, plugging in, unplugging & he never had any problem w/ one.

Maybe Santiago will chime in, if he has time. He designed the original DSL1 (50th Ann). He might know what they are doing now - maybe not... But, he could give you some sound advice...

Sailindawg

Reaction score
Dogs, the 50th Anniversary DSL 1 was pretty pricey. The new DSL1 CR & HR are about half of what the 50th's cost. As you pointed out, all the 50th's could take 8 or 16 ohm cabs. I don't think the new 1 watt CR's & HR's are built the same as the 50th's.

I still think it's cool that the new DSL 1 watters are being made. And the price is excellent for a 1 watt amp.

santiall

Reaction score
Maybe Santiago will chime in, if he has time. He designed the original DSL1 (50th Ann). He might know what they are doing now - maybe not... But, he could give you some sound advice...

I'm afraid I don't 100% know... The current DSL series were started while I was still there but I'm sure the design was changed after I left. It's got a ECC82 push pull output and probably it has a solid state phase inverter but that doesn't matter. In any case I don't see any problem using an 8ohm cabinet with that amp, I'm sure it can tolerate the mismatch without any issues.

The mismatches aren't a big deal, the real problem with tube amps are intermittent loads like a faulty jack vibrating and not making proper contact, a speaker cable with soldering issues or continuity problems and so on.

Latest posts