The official 1 watt thread.

• Thread starter Georgiatec
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Sailindawg

Reaction score
Thanks Dogs of Doom! That's an interesting read. I had been searching the forum a bit and that thread never popped up. Maybe I won't be using the JMD as a slave for the JTM afterall without a level control. Running the 8 ohm tap of the JTM into the FX return of the JMD seems to be less voltage than the 16 ohm tap. Not quite so straightforward.

Last edited:

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't necessarily dismiss it altogether, just keep that in mind. It might work perfect for your needs, you never know...

Georgiatec

VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks Dogs of Doom! That's an interesting read. I had been searching the forum a bit and that thread never popped up. Maybe I won't be using the JMD as a slave for the JTM afterall without a level control. Running the 8 ohm tap of the JTM into the FX return of the JMD seems to be less voltage than the 16 ohm tap. Not quite so straightforward.
It will work but....the JCM1 with its master volume works better. The DSL and JVM one watters have a balanced output and work the best. It's a matter of balancing the output from the JTM1 with the FX level and master volume of the JMD1, to get the best balance between tone and noise. The speaker load attached to the JMD1 is irrelevant.

Sean Christie

Reaction score
In my search for the "least powerful amp" in the world (I play or try to do it in my house in a small room) I have definitely found my partner in a combo Marshall JVM1C 50th anniversary edition. The fact is that being satisfied I see that his 8-inch speaker is no wonder ... although for me it is not bad.

I've been thinking about buying a complementary cabinet, but for space reasons I would prefer to upgrade the original speaker.

In some Internet video and in some opinion of a German internet store, I know that there are people who have installed a 10-inch speaker in a Marshall 8-inch (the JVM1C and the DSL1C/DSL1CR). Therefore, I understand that it’s possible.

In particular, I'm thinking of a Celestion G10 Greenback.

But I have doubts about the depth of the reform ... usually putting a new speaker is “screw and unscrew” but having a change in size ... the question is if it's necessary to make a larger hole according to the new diameter which make necessary to completely disassemble the ampli ... something that I am not willing to do.

Have any of you with an 8-inch amp installed a 10-inch speaker? Or with a 10-inch amp installed a 12-inch speaker and can share the experience?

Regards

Hey, I’m in the same situation, except with a 50th DSL1C. Did you or anyone else attempt to install a 10” speaker?

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve read where folks have increased speaker size in the Dsl5,...from a 10” to a 12”,.....but I haven’t seen anything about going from an 8” to a 10”.

The Dsl5 cab is just barely large enough to stuff a 12” in, but in most cases I’m pretty sure the owners had to rout out the bottom of the cab a bit to make the fit.

I went the other way with my 1 watt amp. I bought the head and a 12” cab. It’s more expensive but to me it’s worth it. I’ve got a Dsl1 head playing thru a Marshall MX112R cab with a G12M-65 Creamback,....it sounds phenomenal!

Sean Christie

Reaction score
I’ve read where folks have increased speaker size in the Dsl5,...from a 10” to a 12”,.....but I haven’t seen anything about going from an 8” to a 10”.

The Dsl5 cab is just barely large enough to stuff a 12” in, but in most cases I’m pretty sure the owners had to rout out the bottom of the cab a bit to make the fit.

I went the other way with my 1 watt amp. I bought the head and a 12” cab. It’s more expensive but to me it’s worth it. I’ve got a Dsl1 head playing thru a Marshall MX112R cab with a G12M-65 Creamback,....it sounds phenomenal!

Very nice! I’ve got a JCM1C that I have put a G10 Greenback into and it sounds amazing! I was hoping I could fit a 10” in the DSL1C, the Greenback is amazing and Celestion is releasing a 10” Creamback in May. I’ve contemplated a cab with larger speakers but the benefit of my two combos is the portability and small size, thus the desire for speaker changes. The 8” in the DSL1C is fine, but a bit weak.

Hiss

Reaction score
Hi Guys
after i send the 4DSL20 back cause of Hiss i got an HT5 MK2 and i like it but i miss the Dirt in the Tone which the DSL20 made.
Now a Friend of me got the DSL1HR. I tested it with my 2x12 and i liked it and pulled the Trigger ^^
So now its here the DSL1HR, an old Modell from 12/2017
The crazy Thing with this is, if i have the Treble at 12oclock and turn the Treble lower to the left, the Highs went but the Volume of the Tone increase.
Is that normal? This is only on Classic Gain, on Ultra Gain it works like it should. Left > Highs low, Right > Highs high with no Change in the Volume of the Tone.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys
after i send the 4DSL20 back cause of Hiss i got an HT5 MK2 and i like it but i miss the Dirt in the Tone which the DSL20 made.
Now a Friend of me got the DSL1HR. I tested it with my 2x12 and i liked it and pulled the Trigger ^^
So now its here the DSL1HR, an old Modell from 12/2017
The crazy Thing with this is, if i have the Treble at 12oclock and turn the Treble lower to the left, the Highs went but the Volume of the Tone increase.
Is that normal? This is only on Classic Gain, on Ultra Gain it works like it should. Left > Highs low, Right > Highs high with no Change in the Volume of the Tone.
Are you saying that,....in the Classic gain channel,....when you turn the treble knob lower, the volume goes lower?

If that’s what your saying I’m not sure I’ve ever noticed that in mine. But here’s what I’ll do. I’ve got some things to do today but latter in the afternoon I’ll have a chance to fire up my Dsl1hr and check this situation out. So st least we’ll know if it’s just yours or not.

Are you in the states @Hiss? Just wondering about the time region you live in.

Hiss

Reaction score
@scozz
When i turn the Treble Knob lower, the Volume goes up, it went louder.
Knob is on 12oclock, it starts to get louder on ca. 10oclock and goes louder and louder until the end left side.
Only on Classic Gain Channel.

That would be very nice from you, thank you!
I hope you have this also, i dont want to have again a faulty DSL :)

BytheWay, are your two Transformators in the DSL1HR also Black?
Mine are glossy black, and i only saw Pictures on the Net where they are
grey, like in the DSL20HR.
Has nothing to do with that Treble Thing, but i am interested why mine are black ^^

I am from Germany

Last edited:

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
@scozz
Knob is on 12oclock, it starts to get louder on ca. 10oclock and goes louder and louder until the end left side.

Mine are glossy black, and i only saw Pictures on the Net where they are
grey, like in the DSL20HR.
Has nothing to do with that Treble Thing, but i am interested why mine are black ^^

I am from Germany
I’ll be in touch with you a little later with answers to all your questions. I’m not at home right now, I should be home in a couple of hours or so, I’ll be in touch with you then. I guess that would make it about 11:00 pm your time. Also, I’m happy to help out!

Oh, and I’ll remember to check the transformers.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very nice! I’ve got a JCM1C that I have put a G10 Greenback into and it sounds amazing! I was hoping I could fit a 10” in the DSL1C, the Greenback is amazing and Celestion is releasing a 10” Creamback in May. I’ve contemplated a cab with larger speakers but the benefit of my two combos is the portability and small size, thus the desire for speaker changes. The 8” in the DSL1C is fine, but a bit weak.
I also have a G10 Greenback in my JCM1C... amazing.View attachment 58919 View attachment 58920
I have put a 10" Greenback in my JTM1 Offset also, great improvement
Well, I like what I’m hearing about the Greenback 10, sounds like it’s a good match for a 1-10 combo. I’ve got an old Marshall AVT20, a 20 watt 1-10 combo,.... I’ve had it for almost 20 years. I’m thinking about upgrading to this speaker!

Quite a number of years ago I changed the stock speaker to a G10 Vintage It was a nice improvement, the amp sounds good, but I think I’d like to make another change.

One of the speakers I’ve been thinking is a 10” Greenback, maybe that would be a nice replacement for the G10 Vintage. The G10 Vintage is simply a 10” Vintage 30.

There’s another speaker I’m interested in and considering for this amp, the new 10” Creamback, I’ll be checking into this one too!

Sean Christie

Reaction score
Well, I like what I’m hearing about the Greenback 10, sounds like it’s a good match for a 1-10 combo. I’ve got an old Marshall AVT20, a 20 watt 1-10 combo,.... I’ve had it for almost 20 years. I’m thinking about upgrading to this speaker!

Quite a number of years ago I changed the stock speaker to a G10 Vintage It was a nice improvement, the amp sounds good, but I think I’d like to make another change.

One of the speakers I’ve been thinking is a 10” Greenback, maybe that would be a nice replacement for the G10 Vintage. The G10 Vintage is simply a 10” Vintage 30.

There’s another speaker I’m interested in and considering for this amp, the new 10” Creamback, I’ll be checking into this one too!

I’m still waiting on the G10 Creamback, Dr. Decibel said Celestion was hoping to roll it out in May but nothing yet, not in Canada at least. Doesn’t look like any other online shops in the UK of US have it either, so it’s release has probably been delayed. I will definitely be purchasing one to put into my 50th DSL-1C, it currently has a G10 Greenback in it, and while it sounds great, I’m thinking the G10 Creamback may be a better fit. I’m very happy with the G10 Greenback I put into my JCM-1C - that’s truly a match made in heaven!

tce63

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m still waiting on the G10 Creamback, Dr. Decibel said Celestion was hoping to roll it out in May but nothing yet, not in Canada at least. Doesn’t look like any other online shops in the UK of US have it either, so it’s release has probably been delayed. I will definitely be purchasing one to put into my 50th DSL-1C, it currently has a G10 Greenback in it, and while it sounds great, I’m thinking the G10 Creamback may be a better fit. I’m very happy with the G10 Greenback I put into my JCM-1C - that’s truly a match made in heaven!

Thomann in Germay have them in stock since June.

https://www.thomann.de/se/celestion_g10_creamback_16_ohm.htm

https://www.thomann.de/se/celestion_g10_creamback_8_ohm.htm

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
@scozz

Mine are glossy black,
Ok @Hiss, I fired up my Dsl1hr and set everything on noon. I played a chord and I slowly turned the treble knob from 12:00 down to about 9:00.

I did this a few times listening closely. I heard a slight increase in volume as I turned the treble knob down. It is very subtle and one has to listen very closely.

I don’t think the volume is actually being lowered,....but I also think that we seem to hear it being lowered, (slightly in my case).

Ears are curious things the way they work. Sometimes we hear things that didn’t happen. Have you ever heard of the Fletcher Munson Curve? I think that’s what might be going on here, google it. Maybe someone with more knowledge on this phenomenon will weigh in.

In regards to your second question,....are the transformers gloss black on my amp. Rest assured mine are shiny, gloss black too, just like yours!

Here’s a pic,.....

Hiss

Reaction score
@scozz
thank you very much. So then i think this is normal.
If i sit in front of the Amp with my Speaker i hear it directly, dont need to put my ear cloesly in front of the speaker.
The Maximum of the Volume-Increase i have when in put the Treble Knob all the Way down(to the Left)

I first thought also about this Curve, i know it, but i tested it again and again and also asked my wife "Hey what do you notice when i turn this Knob"
She: It goes louder. and she was 2-3Meter away from the Speaker.

You wrote : I don’t think the volume is actually being lowered,....but I also think that we seem to hear it being lowered

Lowered? Do you mean Increase?

Thanks for the Picture, looks like mine, is your DSL1HR also from 2017?

Awesome Support from you!:thumb:

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
@scozz
You wrote : I don’t think the volume is actually being lowered,....but I also think that we seem to hear it being lowered

Lowered? Do you mean Increase?
Yes I meant increase,.....that’s a mistake on my part. :shrug:

The increase I hear is very, very subtle. I don’t know if I ever would’ve heard it if I was not listening for it.

I know you’ve returned 4 Dsl20s, but if this volume increase in the treble knob bothers you,...you should exchange it for another one.

I know you probably don’t want to do that, but keeping an amp that you perceive as not working properly,......well let’s just say it’ll always be on your mind.

Latest posts