The Official Marshall DSL40c Information Thread

• Thread starter Micky
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
Index to this thread here:

Side Handle Photos: The Official Marshall DSL40c Information Thread
Gut Shot Photos: The Official Marshall DSL40c Information Thread
C19 Cap Mod Photos: The Official Marshall DSL40c Information Thread
ClassicTone OT Replacement: http://www.marshallforum.com/index....nformation-thread.53780/page-146#post-1232202
NOS Preamp Tubes & Photos: The Official Marshall DSL40c Information Thread

Feel free to post your mods & other DSL40c related content here.
This thread is for others to reference when looking for vital info.

Many of these posts should be relavent to the DSL100h as well as the DSL15, as all the newer DSL amps now share many common features & components. For example, the DSL100h uses the same chassis and internal board and components of the DSL40c, except it has 2 more output tubes as well as the extra related components.

I will start with a couple of photos in this thread, and add more photos in other posts as I don't want each post to be too 'pic-heavy'. If anyone has any requests for photos of specific components or areas of the 40c please let me know and I will shoot them next time I pull the chassis from the case.

I would also like to link all the other DSL40c threads here, as they contain some great posts as well as a lot of good information. Feel free to add whatever you want as long as it is related.

First I would like to state that I am NOT a great guitar player, and I WON'T be posting any clips. Although I used to play in a cover band back in the late '70s, my skill has not kept up with the times. Others are much more talented here and I am sure there will be a few to offer some demos. What I WILL post here is some relavent info, and a bunch of photos. So here goes.

The DSL40c is Marshalls newest DSL, along with the DSL100h head version and the DSL15h and DSL15c. These amps are made in Vietnam. Before you start to poo-poo this new line for being made overseas, rest assured these are built to Marshalls specifications. In my opinion, they are made as well, if not better than anything made in the UK or even in the USA. The boards inside appear to be wave-soldered hi-quality PC boards, and the components are well-spaced and symmetric.

The case appears to be HDF, not MDF. It seems much tougher and harder than MDF, although it is still not birch ply. Personally I don't think it matters much, I have seen ply crushed as easily as anything else, but the true test will be over time. I got a good look when I cut the sides of the case open for some new handles.

Yes, I have already drilled and cut the case, one of the first mods so far. Many of you wil notice this amp doesn't have any side handles, and because I am getting a bit older (and a bit wiser as well) I felt I needed to add some decent metal handles. It will allow for two people to carry the amp as well as allow easier placing of the amp on top of another cab. With the speaker replacement, this amp now weighs 55 pounds, and I feel that is a bit much for the top handle alone.

Here is a photo of the installed handles:
DSCN4176-L.jpg

You need to measure VERY carefully, as one might have a tendency to want to mount the handles high, near the top. The particular metal handles I uses have a bit of depth to them, I mounted them so the PT and OT clear them by about 1/4 inch. I can provide dimensions if anyone needs them.

Gut shots and other info to follow...

Last edited:

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
Here are some gut shots of my DSL40c.
Again, if anyone has any requests for specific photos let me know.
Here is a shot of the bias trimpots:
DSCN4005-L.jpg

Here is a shot of the bias test connector.
Remember, when checking/setting the bias, the left trimpot adjusts the right test point...
DSCN4182-L.jpg

I finally got the bias evened out at 38.xx and all seems very stable:
DSCN4180-L.jpg

I will post more as time permits...

trovador

Reaction score
Great idea. Thanks for sharing. I love my dsl40c. I've swapped the speakers for a V30 and unsoldered the c12 cap on the od2 channel to eliminate some of the brightness. These were not essential, but made it more to my liking...

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah, actually the very first mod I did was remove the rear-loaded Celestion Seventy-Eighty and replace it with an Eminence Texas Heat. As I said in another thread, it was a win-win, as the SF Princeton Reverb LOVES the Celestion, and the Texas Heat adds a bit of low thump that the semi-open back DSL40c needs.

C12 mod? Are you sure you don't mean C19 for the OD2 mode?

trovador

Reaction score
Yeah, actually the very first mod I did was remove the rear-loaded Celestion Seventy-Eighty and replace it with an Eminence Texas Heat. As I said in another thread, it was a win-win, as the SF Princeton Reverb LOVES the Celestion, and the Texas Heat adds a bit of low thump that the semi-open back DSL40c needs.

C12 mod? Are you sure you don't mean C19 for the OD2 mode?

Yep, that's it.

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
To remove the C19 cap makes all the difference in the world!
The OD2 mode on the 2nd channel was pretty much unusable for me as it came from the factory. It may be fine for some as it is stock, but I can only imagine extreme metal being played on hi-gain pointy guitars by angry young punks. (no disrespect) Lots of gain is putting it mildly...

It is a pretty easy mod, I did it without removing the main PC board. Here is a photo:
DSCN4177-L.jpg

I basically just touched a lo-powered soldering pencil (33 watts) to one leg and pried up the cap. It will be easy to return it to stock if needed. Here is another photo:
DSCN4187-L.jpg

The OD2 mode on the Ultra Gain channel is now my go-to mode for a boost even though I don't play lead. It has a ballsy feel to it now rather than a fizzy buzz.

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
Micky the handles look great! You might be interested to know that the more I play mine the better it sounds and I'm going to have a hard time letting it go. I know I know, but damn!...it does sound good and besides, I'm used to eating my words by now. ;) we'll see. If I do keep it I'm going to try some of these mods.

Here are some shots inside the 40c cab if anyone's interested...

PA280004.jpg

PA280002.jpg

PA280006.jpg

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
Nice shots Steve! And I know now why you want to keep it...
If you can justify it, keep it in the collection. I know mine fits a spot that had been empty for a while, I wanted an all-in-one combo that could first, fit in the small car I have, and second, have enough punch and versatility I could use it without a pedal if needed.
No regrets in eating your words, you were smart enough to grab one in the first place.
If you had sold it to me, you certainly would have regretted it!
Here are some more random shots similar to yours, please forgive the out-of-focus stuff...
DSCN4036-L.jpg

DSCN4040-L.jpg

DSCN4042-L.jpg

DSCN4045-L.jpg

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey! you guys should post some stuff here too!
I wanna post links to all the other threads here, might as well combine them onto one huge post. This isn't my thread, it is for everyone. Don't be shy, post some DSL40c info here. We could use some demos, links to other videos, photos, threads on other sites, etc.
Don't be shy, post it up!

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
To remove the C19 cap makes all the difference in the world!
The OD2 mode on the 2nd channel was pretty much unusable for me as it came from the factory. It may be fine for some as it is stock, but I can only imagine extreme metal being played on hi-gain pointy guitars by angry young punks. (no disrespect) Lots of gain is putting it mildly...

It is a pretty easy mod, I did it without removing the main PC board. Here is a photo:
DSCN4177-L.jpg

I basically just touched a lo-powered soldering pencil (33 watts) to one leg and pried up the cap. It will be easy to return it to stock if needed. Here is another photo:
DSCN4187-L.jpg

The OD2 mode on the Ultra Gain channel is now my go-to mode for a boost even though I don't play lead. It has a ballsy feel to it now rather than a fizzy buzz.

That's pretty cool and nice pics too!

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks SB. This kind of stuff comes really easy for me, and if I can help others it gives me a great sense of pride. The pix are shot with an older Nikon L100, it has a nice Macro mode that allows for some good, but not great close-up photos.

I have been tempted to get the big Nikon out, but haven't really had the need since this little camera does an adequate job. Maybe next time I pull the chassis I will do a little better...

Here are some shots of some other areas of the main board:
DSCN4001-L.jpg

Here is the DSP/Reverb board:
DSCN3998-L.jpg

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
I think Steve has rolled a few.
Now that I have a baseline, I have a couple old Sylvania and RCA I wanna try.

Rocktane

Reaction score
I have an NOS Sylvania in V1 and I like it. Used have one in V2 as well but in went tits up. I'm looking to try some other NOS preamp tubes as soon as I can.

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
I will need to order a spare set of power tubes, other than JJ EL34's is there another I should be looking at? I am not interested in exotic stuff, this is a players amp and will be used and abused...

caiokiss

Reaction score
Hey! you guys should post some stuff here too!
I wanna post links to all the other threads here, might as well combine them onto one huge post. This isn't my thread, it is for everyone. Don't be shy, post some DSL40c info here. We could use some demos, links to other videos, photos, threads on other sites, etc.
Don't be shy, post it up!

I've posted a few clips in the other thread. Since the idea is to combine all information in this one, here are the links again:

The guitar is a Gibson Les Paul Studio with Burstbuckers Pro. The amp is in the half-power mode and at bedroom levels.

Just a few riffs:
http://www.soundclick.com/player/sin...=12114192&q=hi

Using backingtracks:

Clean:
http://www.soundclick.com/player/sin...=12136081&q=hi

Classic Gain - Clean mode
Gain - 6 (7 on the solo)
Treble - 3
Mid - 4
Bass - 6
Tone shift - out
Presence - 6
Resonance - 6

Low Gain:
http://www.soundclick.com/player/sin...=12119484&q=hi

Classic Gain - Crunch mode
Gain - 6
Treble - 5
Mid - 7
Bass - 2
Tone shift - out
Presence - 5
Resonance - 3

Mid Gain:
http://www.soundclick.com/player/sin...=12119493&q=hi

Ultra Gain - Lead 1 mode
Gain - 4
Treble - 2
Mid - 5
Bass - 5
Tone Shift - out
Presesnce - 5
Resonance - 5

High Gain
http://www.soundclick.com/player/sin...=12121758&q=hi

Ultra Gain - Lead 2 mode
Gain - 8
Treble - 7
Mid - 4
Bass - 4
Tone Shift - in
Presence - 7
Resonance - 8

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
Here are some links to other threads concerning the DSL40c:
Old Links Used To Be Here...
(no longer working with the new forum software...)

These are just selected threads from over 5 pages of search results.
If this isn't enough reading for you, then go join Harmony Central.

Last edited: