The Official Marshall DSL40c Information Thread

• Thread starter Micky
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

frankyfal

Reaction score
I stripped the nut off the chassis when I opened mine. I had to use a clip nut and a different screw to put chassis back. Colored the screw with marker so it didn't look like shit

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a NO-NO.

Can anyone tell me why? (Apart from the broken tube...)

IMG_3455.jpg

Well in this pic he has 2 speaker cables plugged in to amp taps(jacks). That's a load problem problem.

Swede

Reaction score
Hey Solar....Im not sure if you saw the pic on the last page, how i biased it (1 speaker only btw)

But why would it be an issue with 2 speakers when biasing?

That is how I run my amp?

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey Solar....Im not sure if you saw the pic on the last page, how i biased it (1 speaker only btw)

But why would it be an issue with 2 speakers when biasing?

That is how I run my amp?

I saw you biased with one speaker or tap on the other pic. As long as the OT is loaded correctly or proper impedance is connected you're fine while biasing. In the first pic I thought you forgot to unplug the internal speaker while using the other cab creating an improper load.

I'm not a tech though. I like how you are questioning info. Good.

Swede

Reaction score
All done and put together....All is well in the household:)

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
In the initial photo he has connected his bias probe to the amp WITHOUT plugging it into the meter FIRST.

In that photo there is 465 VDC on that red banana plug just 2 inches from a grounded speaker plug.

Is the amp turned on? Hope not.

My point is that people need to follow the instructions for a bias probe EVERY time EXACTLY.

I am embarrassed none of you saw that right away... huge disappoint...

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
To be fair to me, my probe has no meter, it reads PV and bias voltage.:D I see what you mean, though, running that kind of voltage to a meter contact hanging around...:ugh:
Glad it worked for you! :shred:

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the initial photo he has connected his bias probe to the amp WITHOUT plugging it into the meter FIRST.

In that photo there is 465 VDC on that red banana plug just 2 inches from a grounded speaker plug.

Is the amp turned on? Hope not.

My point is that people need to follow the instructions for a bias probe EVERY time EXACTLY.

I am embarrassed none of you saw that right away... huge disappoint...

Did you pm swede and tell him right off what harm may come? That he could electrocute himself left undone? You cared enough to mention it so I'm assuming you cared for his well being. I know some would pass it off as stupidity but I believe you are more helpful than that. The reason I mention this a lot of time passed.

I can see testing peeps and teaching especially for safety sake but also telling someone right off if indeed a hazard like this may happen to them if not corrected immediately. No one needs to have this consideration assigned them. Would be a decent thing for us to do for one another. Good job Micky.:yesway:

Embarrassed and huge disappointment? Sorry Dad...good thing you were here amongst us embarrassments.lol

Probes used correctly are fine unless the probes a piece of shit. Especially for us guys that have shaky hands or tremors.

Swede

Reaction score
Did you pm swede and tell him right off what harm may come? That he could electrocute himself left undone? You cared enough to mention it so I'm assuming you cared for his well being. I know some would pass it off as stupidity but I believe you are more helpful than that. The reason I mention this a lot of time passed.

I can see testing peeps and teaching especially for safety sake but also telling someone right off if indeed a hazard like this may happen to them if not corrected immediately. No one needs to have this consideration assigned them. Would be a decent thing for us to do for one another. Good job Micky.:yesway:

Embarrassed and huge disappointment? Sorry Dad...good thing you were here amongst us embarrassments.lol

Probes used correctly are fine unless the probes a piece of shit. Especially for us guys that have shaky hands or tremors.

Love the bias probes....Amp was never turned on in the first place.......I might not know electronics very well, but I am certainly not born yesterday:wave:

I do appreciate your concern though as this indeed is potentially very dangerous stuff

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Love the bias probes....Amp was never turned on in the first place.......I might not know electronics very well, but I am certainly not born yesterday:wave:

I do appreciate your concern though as this indeed is potentially very dangerous stuff

Yeah I've been using probes since holding to a testing point became hazardous for me.:D

I'm not scolding you swede. I know Micky was trying to see if we could figure it out too. Just consideration to letting someone know right away so they don't take a bad bite or fatal hit while the rest of us are guessing.

I have learned a great deal from the techs here especially from a few that left us. Really great assets to have and appreciate the direction given freely. Techs aren't cheap and some real Jack offs. I know some good ones.

frankyfal

Reaction score
Swede do you notice a sound difference with the new power tubes??

Hopefully the next new amp I buy will have bias test points and a potentiometer easily accessible on the back panel. Even better. A digital display next to the pot with an on off switch so you can see the voltage when needed and just slip a small screwdriver in and adjust.

lordquilton

Reaction score
Swede do you notice a sound difference with the new power tubes??

Hopefully the next new amp I buy will have bias test points and a potentiometer easily accessible on the back panel. Even better. A digital display next to the pot with an on off switch so you can see the voltage when needed and just slip a small screwdriver in and adjust.

Sound like you're buying a Mesa, you lucky dawg! :D

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score

I knew Swede would be OK. No worries there.

It is just the other thread about probes where I said they really weren't necessary when you have a meter and the test points already available. Besides, to adjust the bias you need to pull the chassis anyway...

Yeah, Mesa could teach Marshall a lot...

J.LaGrassa

Reaction score
I stripped the nut off the chassis when I opened mine. I had to use a clip nut and a different screw to put chassis back. Colored the screw with marker so it didn't look like shit

lol I did the same thing I had 2 of them fall out!

j-lagrassa-albums-my-gear-picture10882-dsl-clips.jpg

J.LaGrassa

Reaction score
I have a bias probe but don't use it with the Marshall, since I have the chassis out I just use Marshalls test points.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I knew Swede would be OK. No worries there.

It is just the other thread about probes where I said they really weren't necessary when you have a meter and the test points already available. Besides, to adjust the bias you need to pull the chassis anyway...

Yeah, Mesa could teach Marshall a lot...

Yeah I had assumed he wasn't ready yet cause he hadn't pulled it from the chassis.

Even with the test points I have to use alligator clips. I get random tremors in my hands that bounce the test lead around. So for me the probes help although I also test their reading to the test pin readings just to make sure numbers are there.

Oh and wish bias test points were outside the chassis easily accessible with all my amps. I hate moving around the inside of a high voltage amp with shaky hands!

Last edited: