The Official Marshall DSL40c Information Thread

• Thread starter Micky
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ken361

Reaction score
I have found the amp sounds best when the bass treble and mids are around the5 position my les Paul really growls and get a wicked tone but I do love the scooped sound of metallica and such so I will have to keep experimenting only had this amp since just after Christmas and really only had a chance to play it about 4 times as I said time is an issue wish it had a headphone jack

Same here 4+:) mines new though.

manofsteel2397

Reaction score
Here is clip I recorded just playing to a backing track, its the DSL40C with the Creamback 65. I used my PRS McCarty straight into the amp and a little delay in the loop. Never played to this track before so there are a few clams but it was fun playing to it, I recorded it with my Tascam DR-05 about 2 feet away from the amp and the backing track was coming out of a speaker next to my amp. only thing I did was normalized the level and added some compression after it was recorded.

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/jlagrassa-1/slow-jam[/SC]

Hey, don't mean any offense, but I'm just curious why the lack of punctuation? It makes it hard to read your posts. So I added periods and commas.

Yea, sorry grammar is not my best subject lol, plus typing on a smart phone.

atrox

Reaction score
Hi all. Just got my DSL40C with Creamback last week and it smokes. Did the C19 mod first thing (i've owned a few of the JCM2000 heads and always did this mod on them. Though on those heads it's C12). I also slapped tung-sol's in V1 and V2. Have Ruby's on the way for power. I use it for an indie project as traveling with my stack to coffee houses was overkill.

I gotta say, i love this little guy. It sounds big. Doesn't have that combo boxiness that many have. It cuts right through. Using crunch mode with my Green Rhino boost really can get close to my 2203's tones. Nice amp. Im'ma keep it.

rig shot
IMG_1214.jpg

practical shot
IMG_1215.jpg

J.LaGrassa

Reaction score
Hi all. Just got my DSL40C with Creamback last week and it smokes. Did the C19 mod first thing (i've owned a few of the JCM2000 heads and always did this mod on them. Though on those heads it's C12). I also slapped tung-sol's in V1 and V2. Have Ruby's on the way for power. I use it for an indie project as traveling with my stack to coffee houses was overkill.

I gotta say, i love this little guy. It sounds big. Doesn't have that combo boxiness that many have. It cuts right through. Using crunch mode with my Green Rhino boost really can get close to my 2203's tones. Nice amp. Im'ma keep it.

rig shot
IMG_1214.jpg

practical shot
IMG_1215.jpg

Welcome to the club!

Swede

Reaction score
Hey all, just checking back in to report that I have found this setup to be just stellar in this amp. Super wide range of tones, and sounds just beautiful...

V1 Ruby 12ax7ac7 HG+
V2 Mullard Reissue
V3 TAD 7025 WA
V4 Ruby 12ax7acg HG

Groove Tubes GT-EL34M matched pair

WGS Invader

Pretty damn close to how my DSL40 is set up too.....:hbang:

atrox

Reaction score
Welcome to the club!

:wave: Thank You!

How is it next to the 800?

The 800 is beefy and a tad smoother. Mid structures a tad different, but they are close. You know. The 2203's are beasts.

I only got rid of my old DSL's because the 2203 just had a certain something that i could not get out of a DSL. That said, should my 2203 ever die, it would get replaced with a DSL100.

I actually like the vietnamese DSL's a bit more than the old JCM2000's. The new ones are a bit more articulate and the resonance is a nice feature.

One thing i never touch on the DSL's is the mid scoop button though. I'm surprised they kept that feature. In the bedroom, it sounds OK, but in a band situation, i can imagine getting lost in a mix quickly.

ken361

Reaction score
All the tubes handwired to the chassis on the 2000's? least they did the power tubes on the new ones. Could of used plywood at least;)

atrox

Reaction score
All the tubes handwired to the chassis on the 2000's? least they did the power tubes on the new ones. Could of used plywood at least;)

If i remember correctly, they were on their own board on the 2000's

ken361

Reaction score
RFT's still popular on here? I have I tried in the V1 seems pretty nice on the lead and cleans. Not really that dark on lead channel at least at low volume it might be a keeper!

rpinon69

Reaction score
Hello

What type of disasters can you expect if you run the 16 ohm jack connected to a 8 ohm speaker?

As we all know everything you read on the internet is true (ha ha), but I did read on another forum that if the head or amp can handle it you get more volume or punch.

Gentlemen could you please clarify!

Thanks

Dizzyg12

Reaction score
Well....still loving my dsl40. I'm going to have to open her up though. She's getting a bit noisy. I though it was something on my pedal board since I added a couple things but I took the board complete out of the equation today and plugged straight in it's the same noise level. Just a buzz with the high gain channel. Clean is fine. Crunch is fine. The other channel though is bothersome. Still sounds great but the noise when I'm not playing is a pain.

I have spare tubes for every spot so I'll roll em and check the bias.

Party on.....

Greatwhitenorth

Reaction score
Well....still loving my dsl40. I'm going to have to open her up though. She's getting a bit noisy. I though it was something on my pedal board since I added a couple things but I took the board complete out of the equation today and plugged straight in it's the same noise level. Just a buzz with the high gain channel. Clean is fine. Crunch is fine. The other channel though is bothersome. Still sounds great but the noise when I'm not playing is a pain.

I have spare tubes for every spot so I'll roll em and check the bias.

Party on.....

I had the same issue. It ended up being a bad pre-amp tube. Problem is, I didn't chuck it and now it's in my tube box. It'll probably be the first one I try to put back in.:lol:

twd2550

Reaction score
Quick question: I was checking the plate voltage which I have done a few times in the past and in a stupid move the probe slipped off of pin 3 and touched pin 4 it sizzled for a couple of seconds then the amp went dead. Any thoughts on what happened?

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
Your clumsiness has initiated the creation of a singularity.
Thank you for the warning.
We only have a couple days before the Earth implodes in the gravity of a black hole....

All you can do is check all the fuses and replace any blown ones.
Better hurry, humanity hasn't much time left...