The Official Marshall DSL40c Information Thread

• Thread starter Micky
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
SCORPIONS!!! Love those guys, Mattias Jabs is criminally underrated. I was at this Day on the Green concert in Oakland back in 1985 (one of the best days of my life!):

Mattias still rocks it and the whole band delivered in Tacoma Wa. He got out front and did an instrumental that was rockn. Don't remember the tune.

They've got motorheads drummer and he did a drum solo that thumped the whole state! It was fucking long and never boring. I just want to know what his band mates were getting back stage? They had plenty of time for groupies and drugs...anyways the crowd went nuts over it.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh and let's not forget both bands unleashed Marshall's!:flex:

caiokiss

Reaction score

KraftyBob

Reaction score
I have found that the biggest source of noise for me were my OD pedals that I had running on wall wart power supplies. I installed a 1spot CS7 power supply on my very limited pedal board(Tuner, 2 OD pedals, reverb, delay & MXR 10 band EQ). My amp is now dead quiet with Lead1 gain around 4-5 and a Tubescreamer with Volume at 10 & Gain 0). I also upgraded the 1st cable to a Mogami Silver. I did swap pre-amp tubes from the stock Marshall(JJ's?) preamp tubes.

The M13 is pretty quiet but here's what I've tried so far:
  • Plugged the guitar into the Effects Loop return to bypass the preamp and it's absolutely quiet on Lead 2 with the Gain and Volume dimmed so I know the power tubes are good and the noise is coming before the effects loop.
  • Disconnected and powered off the M13 and VooDoo Lab Control Switcher so the guitar was going straight into the amp and there was no noticeable reduction in hiss - which tells me the hiss is coming from the amp.
  • I got a high quality 12ga extension cord and tried different outlets in my house that I know are on different circuits - no change. Also, where my amp is plugged in is the same outlet I used with my other amps and they don't have noise problems. Additionally, while my house was built in the mid-80's we gutted and remodeled it two years ago and the wiring in my office (where I play) is all new.
  • Do I have the highest quality cables - no. But they are not the cheap ones either and I use them with my other two amps and have no issues so I'm pretty sure I can rule that out.
  • I plug the amp, M13 and VooDoo Lab into a LiveWire "power conditioner" although for the price I paid I'm pretty sure it's just a glorified surge protector but no change when I bypass that either.

The only thing left that I can think of are the preamp tubes. This morning I found an Electro Harmonix 12AX7EH in my gig bag that came out of my Marshall VS100 a while ago. I don't have a tube tester so I'm not sure if this is good but tonight I'll swap V1 just to see if it makes any difference.

You mentioned that you swapped out the stock tubes - what did you change them to?

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
So did you unplug the guitar from the amp? Is the hiss there then?
If no, then the guitar/cables/pedals are the culprit.
If it has hiss with nothing plugged in, then yes, possibly a preamp tube...

KraftyBob

Reaction score
So did you unplug the guitar from the amp? Is the hiss there then?
If no, then the guitar/cables/pedals are the culprit.
If it has hiss with nothing plugged in, then yes, possibly a preamp tube...

Yes, tried the amp with nothing plugged in anywhere and the hiss is still there. I'll try the preamp tube swap tonight and report back.

I guess the question I have is do all of you have experience the same thing - an incredible amount of hiss on the red channel? Does anyone have a stock DSL40C that has minimal hiss on the red channel? I've seen YT videos of the same thing and some posts say it's normal and others say they swapped the amp out and the problem is solved?

Here are a couple of videos of the same issue I have. While it's hard to tell volume on a Youtube video if you compare the hiss relative to the clean channel that gives you an idea of how loud the hiss is. Granted I don't normally play with the gain and volume dimmed but even at 4, 5 etc. is very loud.

Last edited:

J.LaGrassa

Reaction score

ken361

Reaction score
Yes, tried the amp with nothing plugged in anywhere and the hiss is still there. I'll try the preamp tube swap tonight and report back.

I guess the question I have is do all of you have experience the same thing - an incredible amount of hiss on the red channel? Does anyone have a stock DSL40C that has minimal hiss on the red channel? I've seen YT videos of the same thing and some posts say it's normal and others say they swapped the amp out and the problem is solved?

Here are a couple of videos of the same issue I have. While it's hard to tell volume on a Youtube video if you compare the hiss relative to the clean channel that gives you an idea of how loud the hiss is. Granted I don't normally play with the gain and volume dimmed but even at 4, 5 etc. is very loud.

think mine does if you run the gain and volume that which I would never do! prb wouldnt worry about it:) is it bad plugged in gain at 7 and volume on 4 red 1? mines pretty quiet also use Mogami golds

MarshallDog

Reaction score
Mine had hiss but nit sure if it was/is the same level as yours because its just to hard to tell via a video post. However, if you pop in some EH or Tube Store Preferred Series 7025 12AX7s (both very low noise 12AX7's) it will reduce the hiss regardless of the original level. The RED channel is a noisy channel due to the extremely high gain when the gain is cranked up not to mention I feel the stock 12AX7's are junk IMHO.

KraftyBob

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys. My tube swap test was a failure - the 12AX7EH was bad (microphonic) and it's now in the garbage where it should have been a long time ago.

I'm going to call Sweetwater on Friday when I'm working from home and, assuming they agree the intermittent crackling noise is a bad tube, see if they'll cut me a deal on new tubes. Right now I'm thinking of going with the Mesa SPAX7 in V1 & V2 and Mullard 12AX7 in V3 & V4 to start with. Kill two birds with one stone: crackling and tame the hiss a little.

I have to say the more I play this amp the more I'm convinced I made a great purchase. Before I bought this I tested about a dozen other amps (Blackstar HT Club 40, Peavey 6505+, Laney Ironheart Studio, H&K Tubemeister, etc...) and almost pulled the trigger on a mint Mesa F50 for $700. While the Mesa was a great amp in the end it was't the tone I was really looking for (wasn't Marshall enough (duh) and wasn't rectifier-ish either). In the end DSL40C won and I'm certainly happy about that! I guess I'm just more of an EL34 guy vs 6L6.

Angus Rhoads

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys. My tube swap test was a failure - the 12AX7EH was bad (microphonic) and it's now in the garbage where it should have been a long time ago.

I'm going to call Sweetwater on Friday when I'm working from home and, assuming they agree the intermittent crackling noise is a bad tube, see if they'll cut me a deal on new tubes. Right now I'm thinking of going with the Mesa SPAX7 in V1 & V2 and Mullard 12AX7 in V3 & V4 to start with. Kill two birds with one stone: crackling and tame the hiss a little.

I have to say the more I play this amp the more I'm convinced I made a great purchase. Before I bought this I tested about a dozen other amps (Blackstar HT Club 40, Peavey 6505+, Laney Ironheart Studio, H&K Tubemeister, etc...) and almost pulled the trigger on a mint Mesa F50 for $700. While the Mesa was a great amp in the end it was't the tone I was really looking for (wasn't Marshall enough (duh) and wasn't rectifier-ish either). In the end DSL40C won and I'm certainly happy about that! I guess I'm just more of an EL34 guy vs 6L6.
Several of the tube amps I've owned over the years have occasionally developed an intermittent crackling/static noise (including the DSL40C). Most of the time this is because of dust, condensation, etc. that builds up within the tube socket. What I've always done, on the advice of an old amp tech I used to know, is take out the power tubes and spray the pins with electronic contact cleaner. Then, work the pins back & forth in the holes a couple of times. This has worked for me every time, no kidding. Anyway, it's worth a try before you go through the trouble of getting new tubes, you can find a can of contact cleaner at an auto parts store for about 10 bucks!

KraftyBob

Reaction score
Hi MartyStrat54 - are you out there? Based on all the comments it looks like you're the go to guy when it comes to tubes :) Just got a new DSL40C and it has a bad preamp tube. Sweetwater will either replace the one tube with a JJ ECC83, or cut me a deal on 4 new tubes. Here's what I have to choose from:
- Mesa: 12AX7, SPAX7 or 12AT7
- Mullard 12AX7
- JJ: 12AX7/ECC83 or 12AT7/ECC81
- Genalex: 12AU7 or 12AT7 - both Gold Pins
- Various Bugera, Groove Tubes

I'm thinking of going with the Mesa SPAX7 in V1/V2 and Mullard in V3/V4 for now. I've seen others on the DSL thread which at some point I might investigate, but thinking these would at least be better than what comes with the amp. Tone wise I'm not looking to change anything - I like it the way it is. I would like, however, to try and cut down on some of the hiss as it's really noisy - hence the SPAX7.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Angus Rhoads

Reaction score
KraftyBob - I have a late-90s MESA SPAX7 in my V1 slot, very low noise and has a nice, even tonal balance with good gain. Somewhere a few pages back I posted a clip of my Lead 2 channel with the gain around 4 and you can hear there's very little hiss - would be even quieter with Lead 1 or on the Classic Gain channel.

KraftyBob

Reaction score
KraftyBob - I have a late-90s MESA SPAX7 in my V1 slot, very low noise and has a nice, even tonal balance with good gain. Somewhere a few pages back I posted a clip of my Lead 2 channel with the gain around 4 and you can hear there's very little hiss - would be even quieter with Lead 1 or on the Classic Gain channel.

Page 421 :)

Great tone and awesome playing. Thanks for pointing out that post to me. I set my amp to the same settings that you have and there's a good amount of hiss at that point. Good to hear from someone that has the SPAX7 in V1 and be able to hear how quiet it is. I'm not expecting a miracle - just hoping it will cut down on the hiss somewhat.

On my way home from a customer today I passed a Guitar Center so I stopped in. I turned up a DSL40C with nothing plugged in and it was pretty noisy too. I guess that's the nature of this beast. There happen to be Blackstar HT Club 40 right next to the DSL so I did the same. When turned all the way up it had what seemed about the same amount of hiss. The difference was the Blackstar's hiss wasn't noticeable until maybe 6.5/7 - then it ramped up quickly. Oh, and don't worry - it was simply an unscientific test. I have no intention of downgrading...

SteelLucky

Reaction score
I have the MESA SPAX7 in V3 and V4, RFT in V1 and V2. Ruby EL34BSTR power tubes. V-type speaker. I really like the sound of the amp as setup. I have some pre-amp hiss on Lead 1 and 2 but nothing out of normal for a tube amp.

The reverb is very there and usable now compared to when the amp had the stock tubes. It seemed that changing v3 or v4 had the big effect on the reverb. But honestly I did both at the same time so I can not tell you which one made the reverb more pronounced, but it is night and day better.

My amp basically failed 3 stock tubes within the first few months I had it. No failures since retubing it over a year ago.

Angus Rhoads

Reaction score
I have the MESA SPAX7 in V3 and V4, RFT in V1 and V2. Ruby EL34BSTR power tubes. V-type speaker. I really like the sound of the amp as setup. I have some pre-amp hiss on Lead 1 and 2 but nothing out of normal for a tube amp.

The reverb is very there and usable now compared to when the amp had the stock tubes. It seemed that changing v3 or v4 had the big effect on the reverb. But honestly I did both at the same time so I can not tell you which one made the reverb more pronounced, but it is night and day better.

My amp basically failed 3 stock tubes within the first few months I had it. No failures since retubing it over a year ago.
I had the same experience with the reverb - it was almost non-existent with the stock tubes but when I swapped out the 4 preamp tubes all at once it suddenly came to life. When my PI crapped out not long after buying the amp, I popped in my current preamp setup - MESA SPAX7, two regular MESA 12-AX7s and a Sovtek 12-AX7LPS in the PI slot (later added Groove Tube EL34Ms as well).

Angus Rhoads

Reaction score
Page 421 :)

Great tone and awesome playing. Thanks for pointing out that post to me. I set my amp to the same settings that you have and there's a good amount of hiss at that point. Good to hear from someone that has the SPAX7 in V1 and be able to hear how quiet it is. I'm not expecting a miracle - just hoping it will cut down on the hiss somewhat.

On my way home from a customer today I passed a Guitar Center so I stopped in. I turned up a DSL40C with nothing plugged in and it was pretty noisy too. I guess that's the nature of this beast. There happen to be Blackstar HT Club 40 right next to the DSL so I did the same. When turned all the way up it had what seemed about the same amount of hiss. The difference was the Blackstar's hiss wasn't noticeable until maybe 6.5/7 - then it ramped up quickly. Oh, and don't worry - it was simply an unscientific test. I have no intention of downgrading...
You're always going to get some level of hiss from the Red high-gain channel, but with a good V1 tube you can certainly cut down on some of it. The stock tubes were definitely a little noisier on the Red channel - I was using my Decimator noise gate in the effects loop until I swapped the preamp tubes, now I don't feel much need to do so unless I'm playing at fairly high volume.