The Official Marshall DSL40c Information Thread

• Thread starter Micky
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Skylarkpilot

Reaction score
"My amp had a 494V Plate Voltage reading on both power tubes and 47mV on both bias pins.
I´d low them to 35mV."

Mmmh...
Today I double checked plate voltage on both power tubes
Yesterday 494V, today 499V
I kept bias on 35mV still.

I wonder how can this happen increasing from one day to another
There´s any risk having tubes running this hot or is safe enough having the 70% on biasing?
Any thoughts?

First thought is to check the settings you are using on your multimeter. If you are using the wrong scale the readings can look scary. If you can, get a mate to check independently. 499v just does not sound right.

CarlosPrex

Reaction score
Last week I turned 50, so last night was my Gig Party

I played my DSL40C for 3 hours straight with no problems at all.

Oh Man! this amps sings!!

There was two DSL40C on stage last night. My band mate bought his on the same order that me from MusiciansFriend.

Mine has C19 clipped, speaker swap (Veteran 30) and Ruby tubes on V1 & V2 (MartyStrat recommended). The other amp was completely stock

Well, well, well
Mine sounded much better, louder, rich and full using the EXACTLY same settings side by side (amps were 2 feet away from each other) so I had to slightly turn some knobs down in order to achieve the same stage volume.

The gig was a hit, both amps sounded really good, but every time he used the red channel I could hear the C19 asking to be taken off.

Studio270

Reaction score
Last week I turned 50, so last night was my Gig Party

I played my DSL40C for 3 hours straight with no problems at all.

Oh Man! this amps sings!!

There was two DSL40C on stage last night. My band mate bought his on the same order that me from MusiciansFriend.

Mine has C19 clipped, speaker swap (Veteran 30) and Ruby tubes on V1 & V2 (MartyStrat recommended). The other amp was completely stock

Well, well, well
Mine sounded much better, louder, rich and full using the EXACTLY same settings side by side (amps were 2 feet away from each other) so I had to slightly turn some knobs down in order to achieve the same stage volume.

The gig was a hit, both amps sounded really good, but every time he used the red channel I could hear the C19 asking to be taken off.

Glad you're liking the amp. I just ordered a Vet 30 hope it takes care of the harshness of the amp.

I did clip c19 and put in new JJecc803s and an ecc83.
How are you liking the speaker?

MarshallDog

Reaction score
Does anyone actually use the Resonance knob? I use all JJ tubes, a choke added, Celestion G12M-65 Creamback and C19 at 100 pf and C4 at 220 pf. It seems for me playing with LPS's that it sounds best completely off. Just wondering.

CarlosPrex

Reaction score
Glad you're liking the amp. I just ordered a Vet 30 hope it takes care of the harshness of the amp.

I did clip c19 and put in new JJecc803s and an ecc83.
How are you liking the speaker?

Short answer: I do

My improving tone list included:
-clipping c19
-test a celestion Vintage30
-find the best tubes set on my budget

so I clipped c19: perfect as expected
tested a vintage30: dissapointed, not the sound I was looking for. IN fact I think the stock 70/80 sounded better.
Installed Ruby tubes on V1 & V2: quieter amp, nice tone

Then I installed the Veteran 30 and the amp came alive in terms of best mids and response. Last night was the first time I use the amp for a long period of time and volume at 6 and I really liked the sounds I had when channel switching.

I think once the speaker breaks in I´ll liked more.

CarlosPrex

Reaction score
Does anyone actually use the Resonance knob? I use all JJ tubes, a choke added, Celestion G12M-65 Creamback and C19 at 100 pf and C4 at 220 pf. It seems for me playing with LPS's that it sounds best completely off. Just wondering.

I use Les Pauls, Presence at 9:00 and Resonance at full with great results to my taste

MarshallDog

Reaction score
@ MarshallDog, what did the C4 mod do for the clean channel?
I like the sound of the clean now.

It brighten it up just a touch, nothing major IMO BUT it the Crunch channel came to life but not over the top. I play with LPS's and with single coil guitars it might be too much unless you like a brighter amp, just my opinion and guesstimate because I have no single coil guitars.

Dizzyg12

Reaction score

I run presence at 10:00, resonance at 9:00. Truthfully as a starting off point with my settings, I stole the default SCOM settings from amplitube slash. surprisingly it gets pretty close, but not spot on which is why I like it....it's a decent rock tone without sounding like a copy if anyone in particular. Flame me if you want but I like it. Lol

Pasloade74

Reaction score
Here are some gut shots of my DSL40c.
Again, if anyone has any requests for specific photos let me know.
Here is a shot of the bias trimpots:
DSCN4005-L.jpg

Here is a shot of the bias test connector.
Remember, when checking/setting the bias, the left trimpot adjusts the right test point...
DSCN4182-L.jpg

I finally got the bias evened out at 38.xx and all seems very stable:
DSCN4180-L.jpg

I will post more as time permits...

Hey Micky, are these numbers still good? I've been pulling my hair out as to why my amp sounded so lifeless lately. I've been swapping out different od pedals hoping to get better tone. Yesterday I had band rehearsal and the amp sounded like crap. Very muddy and lifeless.

So I started rereading this thread in hopes to find a solution. I came across your bias info and decided to check mine. Come to find out it was at 28.5ish. So I bumped it up to 37ish and the amp just came to life. Finally getting that 3D sound I was looking for. I just wanted to know if you are still using the bias setting. Thanks

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes, I use anywhere between 38-40 mv. Last I checked, I had set it at 40, and it settled in at 39.5 or so.

But I am not the only one setting the bias here... others have had good experiences. A lot depends on the power tubes you use. For me, I have settled in on the TAD EL34b STR and for preamp tubes I use NOS stuff from Marty.

With a low bias, you should have excellent clean tone with lots of headroom. Crunch might sound a bit bright, but then again, you didn't say what speaker you are currently using. I found low bias leads to less gain when you DO crank the gain at a low bias setting, it might become a bit muddy.

Anyway, I am glad you are getting it sorted out! Since I got my DSL5c, I have to admit I haven't been playing my 40c a lot. It sits downstairs where it is cold during the winter...

wangchung

Reaction score
My replacement/re-stock 40c is holding bias. The first thing I did after I pulled the
chassis was check the bias on the JJ's that were in there. One was 48.8 ma, which
is 90% for the voltage the tubes measured, the other was 55.8ma. Red plate zone.
Of course I thought oh no, but I set them at 32+ and left it on all day yesterday,
playing off and on. Turned it on this morning and let it warm up, bias had settled
in around 31.6-8 on both tubes. Re-set it at 33ma and have been playing, and it's
holding. Also after trying a V30 and a Weber G1230/55 in it, I've decided to give
the 70/80 a chance to break-in, so I put it back in. A 100pf C19 should affect
directly the frequency spike apparent on the freq. chart of this spkr.. I didn't give
this a listen when I had the previous example, but data suggests it.

MarshallDog

Reaction score
If all goes well, I am planning on trying all Mullard glass just to check out the tone, I am curious as to how they will sound as compared to all JJ's...:hmm:

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a NOS Mullard in my V1 slot and I love it.

Clean tones that makes Fender jealous...

Pasloade74

Reaction score
Yes, I use anywhere between 38-40 mv. Last I checked, I had set it at 40, and it settled in at 39.5 or so.

But I am not the only one setting the bias here... others have had good experiences. A lot depends on the power tubes you use. For me, I have settled in on the TAD EL34b STR and for preamp tubes I use NOS stuff from Marty.

With a low bias, you should have excellent clean tone with lots of headroom. Crunch might sound a bit bright, but then again, you didn't say what speaker you are currently using. I found low bias leads to less gain when you DO crank the gain at a low bias setting, it might become a bit muddy.

Anyway, I am glad you are getting it sorted out! Since I got my DSL5c, I have to admit I haven't been playing my 40c a lot. It sits downstairs where it is cold during the winter...

I guess I'm asking you because you have pretty much started this thread. But I like to hear what other people are see setting their bias at as well. I'm using the stock power tubes. I have a couple jj's in the v1 and v2. V3 and v4 are still stock. I swapped the 70/80 for a vintage 30 and have a 1X12 cab loaded with an Eminence Wizard.

My main problem with this setup is finding a smooth, low gain setting for rehearsals. Sounds a bit harsh for some of the tunes we do. The best that I came up with was running my OCD at 18 volts on the green, clean channel. Perhaps I'm not setting up the eq correctly. I play a Les Paul studio with bb pros.

Anyways, bumping up the bias definatly adds life to the green channel. I'd like to be able to use the green crunch channel and eliminate the ODs.

The Outlaw

Reaction score
joined just for this thread. im still only halfway through reading but had a questions.

is the loop in this amp known to be crappy? i've been using the same 2 digitech delay and chorus pedals in the loop of all my amps for about 2 years now and have been perfecty happy with them but since i've gotten this amp (about 3 months ago) i havent been happy with my sound with the loop button on. as soon as i turn the effects loop off it sounds alot better but i loose my delay and chorus. with the loop on it sounds muffled a bit and darker.

is this a problem with the amp? if so is there a fix for this besides running everything right through the front of the amp?

my whole experience with this amp has been hit and miss, it took musiciansfriend 3 tries to get me one that works. each of the first 2 had atleast 2 faulty knobs. it took me almost 2 months from the time of ordering the first one to gettting one that works. i made due with each one for a day or 2 before sending back while trying to decide if i wanted to try again or not and each time it sounded better and better. the current one just seems hit and miss, it either sounds great or sounds like garbage. no in between, and thats without changing anything just plugging in the guitar and flipping the switch so its not environment. on a good day i think of selling off some of my other amps, on one of its bad days i regret letting it kick my old blackstar ht-5 mini stack out.

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
I guess I'm asking you because you have pretty much started this thread. But I like to hear what other people are see setting their bias at as well. I'm using the stock power tubes. I have a couple jj's in the v1 and v2. V3 and v4 are still stock. I swapped the 70/80 for a vintage 30 and have a 1X12 cab loaded with an Eminence Wizard.

My main problem with this setup is finding a smooth, low gain setting for rehearsals. Sounds a bit harsh for some of the tunes we do. The best that I came up with was running my OCD at 18 volts on the green, clean channel. Perhaps I'm not setting up the eq correctly. I play a Les Paul studio with bb pros.

Anyways, bumping up the bias definatly adds life to the green channel. I'd like to be able to use the green crunch channel and eliminate the ODs.

I almost exclusively use Classic channel Crunch mode with this amp. For this particular channel/mode, I first adjust gain to where I need it. Then I adjust volume to suit the situation. I have a tendency to add too much bass, so I have to be careful, but generally have treble & mid about halfway, and bass on 3/4. I don't use and external cab yet.

Now I am certain you will have different EQ settings, but the methodology for the crunch gain for me was the critical thing to get the sound I want. Since I don't gig much anymore, I don't play at loud volumes much and this is the only way I have found to keep things consistent. Kinda like taking the gain control and marking it for different bands/songs.

I can then hit the Ultra channel for a lead (rare) or some single-string riffs if I need to. The settings I use I dial in similar to the Classic channel, gain to taste and then volume to suit.

Hope that helps. Probably will work different for you...

Dizzyg12

Reaction score
joined just for this thread. im still only halfway through reading but had a questions.

is the loop in this amp known to be crappy? i've been using the same 2 digitech delay and chorus pedals in the loop of all my amps for about 2 years now and have been perfecty happy with them but since i've gotten this amp (about 3 months ago) i havent been happy with my sound with the loop button on. as soon as i turn the effects loop off it sounds alot better but i loose my delay and chorus. with the loop on it sounds muffled a bit and darker.

is this a problem with the amp? if so is there a fix for this besides running everything right through the front of the amp?

my whole experience with this amp has been hit and miss, it took musiciansfriend 3 tries to get me one that works. each of the first 2 had atleast 2 faulty knobs. it took me almost 2 months from the time of ordering the first one to gettting one that works. i made due with each one for a day or 2 before sending back while trying to decide if i wanted to try again or not and each time it sounded better and better. the current one just seems hit and miss, it either sounds great or sounds like garbage. no in between, and thats without changing anything just plugging in the guitar and flipping the switch so its not environment. on a good day i think of selling off some of my other amps, on one of its bad days i regret letting it kick my old blackstar ht-5 mini stack out.

I wouldn't say it's a problem but I noticed some difference in volume/tone with the loop on. I've accommodated for it. It's not a bad sound or a
Problem at all because I usually have the loop on and some delay or chorus running anyway. Just need to adjust the eq and pedals til you find the sweet spots.

The Outlaw

Reaction score
I wouldn't say it's a problem but I noticed some difference in volume/tone with the loop on. I've accommodated for it. It's not a bad sound or a
Problem at all because I usually have the loop on and some delay or chorus running anyway. Just need to adjust the eq and pedals til you find the sweet spots.

guess i'll just have to get used to it. most of the problem is probably that i never used it without the loop on until recently and once i heard it with the loop off it just never sounded that good again lol