The Official Marshall DSL40c Information Thread

• Thread starter Micky
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a set from Marty in mine, and haven't looked back.
They sound awesome.
Mullard NOS in V1, black plate in V2, etc. It is outlined earlier in this thread...

Solid one two punch combo on V1/V2 Micky.:yesway:

Right now I've got the stock V1 in and then the BP in V2. I haven't wanted to change any more yet. Also I ordered some 9th generation shugs for a listen in V1 and or V2. Thought I try some current Chinese production and see.

http://www.dougstubes.com/preamp-tubes/12ax7-ecc83-7025/ruby-12ax7-ac5-high-grade-1.html

http://www.dougstubes.com/preamp-tubes/12ax7-ecc83-7025/ruby-12ax7-ac5-high-grade.html

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had the C19 done, had my guy put in 100pf. On red 2 I still wanna back off my guitars tone to 5 for chords, single notes sound fine. Bite on green crunch just equals too harsh on red for me. Using a Monte Allums Blues Driver on green to get more gain for hard rock, it's working fairly well.

I PMed Marty about some tubes, but I thought I might throw it open on the preamp tubes thread to take advantage of the group wisdom, if you wanna come over.

I'm going to wait on the mod until I've got everything else done. Pretty much the speaker. I've got plenty Marty NOS tubes stashed and messing with some CP as well. Marty is an invaluable tube resource.

I find the same result adjusting enough bite on the EQ for the Crunch voicing. It makes the red way to trebly. I'm still predominantly playing on LEAD 2 and rolling back for rhythm and cleanish. I then roll up for lead but not always. Get'n a lot out of that channel with gain set at 2.5 only.

I love that you guys are stating the cap values when making changes cause I definitely like to know when a good sub is used.

lordquilton

Reaction score
I have a set from Marty in mine, and haven't looked back.
They sound awesome.
Mullard NOS in V1, black plate in V2, etc. It is outlined earlier in this thread...

Yes, I've read the whole thread a few times so I saw that. A clip is worth a thousand words, they say...

Just ribbin' ya! ;)

I've been putting it off cause I thought NOS would be prohibitively expensive, and I wanted to try the speaker change first, but the time has come!
And hang the expense, I don't have any other expensive vices!

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, I've read the whole thread a few times so I saw that. A clip is worth a thousand words, they say...

Just ribbin' ya! ;)

I've been putting it off cause I thought NOS would be prohibitively expensive, and I wanted to try the speaker change first, but the time has come!
And hang the expense, I don't have any other expensive vices!

You're in trouble now...:D

lordquilton

Reaction score
Tell me about it! I've had this 16 ft Whirlwind Leader for 15+ years now. Bought a 10ft planet waves for the overdrive pedal, can hear the goddamn difference whether the 10 ft (more presence) is before the 16 ft (woodier body)!
Can only be a few steps away from "EricJohnson-itis", and getting anal about Duracell vs Eveready..

But hey, at least I'm with similarly afflicted poor souls here on Marshallforum.com, right?

Good company methinks.

Coronado

Reaction score
Is there something in the room that could be vibrating while you're playing? My baseboard heaters do and make this weird ass noise. Just a thought. I wonder why the tech didn't notice it...yet as soon as you get it fired up and playing its right there? Weird.

Is there a certain volume level it does it at? You said you turned it up and it made that sound as opposed to not making it while the volume was lowered.

It doesn’t seem to be a vibration, it’s more of buzz sound - similar to what a speaker sounds like when it doesn’t work properly. When we were in his shop, at first he couldn’t hear it. After about 2 or 3 minutes or so, on the clean channel, he could hear it. That’s why he first thought it was the tubes. Here’s the thing, if you give it plenty of volume, its less pronounced and harder to hear, or, add some gain and you can’t hear the sound at all. He had the amp for 2 weeks - he may have forgotten that you have to turn the volume down a bit and make it as clean as possible, then you will hear that sound. When you turn it up, it’s harder to hear.

Try this - switch your DSL40 to the clean channel, turn off the clean crunch button, then turn your clean gain low enough that you still get some sound, but that it is as clean as can be. Strike your E, A or D string on the 12/13/14 fret. How clean is it? Any strange noise? On mine, when you do those same steps, there is this fuzzy thick tone that accompanies the sound of the normal sound. it is not crisp at all. Here’s another test I did: I turned on my delay and would strike a string and even the echo would cause that muffled buzzing baaaaawwww sound. Now imagine what it sounds like when I use the rhythm pickup... yuck.

I don’t play out much at all, I'm really getting in to recording. I gotta tell ya, listen to that sound for about a 30 minutes and it will start to drive you crazy. It has new JJ EL 34s and JJ preamp tubes. I ordered a couple different Celestion speakers, so I'm going to see if its the speaker perhaps. I keep telling myself that I'll just turn up the gain and use my other amps for the clean stuff. But, a little bit of obsessive disorder in me keeps me going back to the amp trying to figure out why it is making this sound. I may have just let it be and say that’s just how the amp sounds, but I played 2 other DSL40s at 2 different stores and they didn’t make that sound. I’ll try the other speaker - if that doesn’t fix it, I'll ask the tech to see if we can try it again and see what’s making that lovely sound.

Thanks again for the suggestions - let’s hope that new speaker does the trick.

Skylarkpilot

Reaction score
So what about the Classic Lead 80, are they good in a combo ?
I was leaning towards a Texas Heat, then I listened to a Texas Heat v Man 'o' War comparison and now I don't know what I think. The only good thing is confusion is saving me money......for now.

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
So what about the Classic Lead 80, are they good in a combo ?
I was leaning towards a Texas Heat, then I listened to a Texas Heat v Man 'o' War comparison and now I don't know what I think. The only good thing is confusion is saving me money......for now.

Saving money? Stop wasting big bucks on Celestion Chinese stuff then.

Eminence Texas Heat, Swamp Thang, even a WGS Vet30 are all under $80 each with free shipping at MF... And they are MADE IN USA.

Pumpkin88

Reaction score
Here is a vid of the 70/80 compared to the G12-65 in an open back 112 using a Marshall amp. What Marshall I don't know. Excellent vid using parts of songs we all know to orientate from.

Let's hear which speaker tone/character you like best...

Guitar Speakers comparison - Celestion: Seventy 80 vs G12-65 - YouTube

That was a good comparison. I liked both, ideally I think I would keep the 70/80 in the combo and have an ext. cab with the g12's I think that would make for a nice balanced sound.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Eminence has some good offerings. I've got my choices down to 2 specific speakers I really like and they are Celestions. Good ones.

I also have a Veteran 30 from WGS which is a warmer V30. Sounds good.

I like the GB 128 Eminence cause its a Greenback like speaker and Eminence usually have high SPL's which translates to higher volume or headroom.

Lots of great choices out there...good luck choosing though. Hard to roll speakers unless you have money to burn.

Last edited:

lordquilton

Reaction score
Saving money? Stop wasting big bucks on Celestion Chinese stuff then.

Oh, Chinese Schminese!

Eminence Texas Heat, Swamp Thang, even a WGS Vet30 are all under $80 each with free shipping at MF... And they are MADE IN USA.

That maybe doesn't mean as much to us in Australia or Sweden. On Ebay Australia, the Eminence are generally up there in price with the mid range Celestions. e.g. I got my (UK made) Creamback delivered for $169 (AUD)
The Cannabis Rex 12" I can get for $159 (AUD).
Likewise the Vet 30 and the Vintage 30 can be had for about the same price.

I live in a rural area, it would be several hours drive to try out speakers in person. So I'm stuck with the web to help make a choice in speakers.
And I'm gonna say it- in a lot of the web research I did, the Eminence sounded weird to me at first. I think it might be because the "Celestion" sound is what a lot of people associate with rock. That's my theory anyway.

It's hard for me to say this, because I respect you guys and your opinions.
Like I know Marty loves the Black Mountain in one of his amps. I wish I could hear it, cos' when I hear it with other Alnico's here-
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPPMiZeYMVo"]12 speakers compared 8 alnico's & 2 ceramics jensen vs blue vs gold vs scumback vs Celestion - YouTube[/ame]
it sounds like it's inside a box or something. I can hear (now), how the underlying tone is really quite nice and rich. So with the amount of listening I've done in the last few months, I can imagine that would probably be great to add bottom to a bright Marshall maybe?

But then I hear the Vintage 30 later on in that video, and it's like it gets the blood going! I don't know, it just sounds like the experience of live music somehow.

And the Celestion Gold...just wipes the floor with lot of them for me. Gotta stop watching it.

I don't think I'm a Celestion fanboy, I'd try anything I could get my hands on if I could afford it. The "celestion sizzle " just seems to get peoples attention somehow.

Ahh, Celestion Gold. Soo desirable, so financially unjustifiable!
Is there like a GAS anonymous? I think I need help. :p

JEB

Reaction score
And the Celestion Gold...just wipes the floor with lot of them for me. Gotta stop watching it.

I don't think I'm a Celestion fanboy, I'd try anything I could get my hands on if I could afford it. The "celestion sizzle " just seems to get peoples attention somehow.

Ahh, Celestion Gold. Soo desirable, so financially unjustifiable!
Is there like a GAS anonymous? I think I need help. :p

I've put the Gold in mine and haven't regretted it. It does have a revved-up sizzle to it and it brought back the good part of the top end that was tamed after I did the C19 mod.

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
In the end, it is all about what sounds good to you. To me, it doesn't matter what brand or where it was made, it is more about saving money and exploring all options.

The whole purpose of this thread was to relate each others experiences, knowing full well that they would be different. A veritable encyclopedia of information all in one spot about the DSL40c. Having said that yet again, personally I feel it is wonderful that so many have decided to post their mods and settings, and I truly hope this can become yet another epic thread here at MF...

Sometimes we forget this is a global community, with players and techs from all over the globe. What is inexpensive and practical for one, is sometimes prohibitively expensive and difficult to obtain for others who may live in a different part of the world. This is why it is so important for us to all understand that while tone and the quest for the ultimate tone is subjective, it is also very individual and unique.

I often forget that people in other areas of the world do not have the same opportunities as we do here in the States. Things produced here are naturally less expensive because of the shipping costs NOT associated with manufacturing. The other problem that arises is that of taxes and other import duties that sometimes make purchases of certain brands prohibitively expensive. This is why it is SO important for us to relate our experiences and tip each other off about bargains and other advantages.

With a little understanding I am certain we will ALL benefit from each other, just keep posting no matter how trivial or unimportant you might think it is!

lordquilton

Reaction score
Amen.
Hard to get a bad sound out of this thing, stock or modified!

Messing around with settings again today, gave the resonance a good turning up with the master just above 2 on both channels. Previously never set resonance past noon. Presence quite low; I doubt it's news to anyone here that presence seems like the most sensitive tonal control on this amp (any tube amp?)
Like turning it up 2 millimetres at a time to just keep the bite in against bass/resonance.

Apart from the almost scary (but great) augmentation in chest thump, there was something about this setting that seemed to balance the green and red channels more. Swamp those pesky highs with monster bass, then back off resonance a little to keep things tight. :mad:

Did notice what sounded like glass rattling when some lower notes were let ring. Silicone power tube dampeners are on order from ebay. Seems like this amp is coming out of it's corner tomorrow, literally and figuratively!

Ye Gods, what a beast!

I do hope the neighbors appreciate it. :wave:

lordquilton

Reaction score
I've put the Gold in mine and haven't regretted it. It does have a revved-up sizzle to it and it brought back the good part of the top end that was tamed after I did the C19 mod.

So the three way generally lives at 100pf, JEB?
Wangchung was saying a little while back that 220pf is perhaps the sweet spot as far as retaining the mids. On paper anyway. Playing with the idea of convincing my tech friend it would not be splitting hairs to go between 100, 220 and 470.

Also, can I ask everyone their opinion of ceramic vs silver mica at C19?
I imagine for live the difference would be imperceptible for most?
Maybe that's a question better asked over at the Workbench/ Joeys mod thread.
Sadly for the untechnical like me, they appear to be speaking another language most of the time :D

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wangchung was saying a little while back that 220pf is perhaps the sweet spot as far as retaining the mids. On paper anyway. Playing with the idea of convincing my tech friend it would not be splitting hairs to go between 100, 220 and 470.

Sadly for the untechnical like me, they appear to be speaking another language most of the time :D

I've been reading up on this mod and what users have been experiencing and I think I would go with a 100pf first...for a reference point. I'm seeing these guys use the ceramic version.

My issue is I don't solder and my hands aren't real steady...sometimes they jump. I'd like to learn to do it though so I could do cap changes.:hmm:

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score

Not untechnical at all! I mean really, a non-tech person would not know or even care about the difference between silver mica (what is in the DSL40c OEM) and ceramic disc caps.

I would imagine in this application very minimal difference would result.

I hope others will chime in here about this...

JEB

Reaction score

For the lower volumes that I typically play here at the house, it is usually set on 0pf.

I'm not a very good guitar player, but if I get motivated, I'll record something to show the difference between the 3 different settings and hack my way through something.