The Official Marshall DSL40c Information Thread

• Thread starter Micky
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

USAPatriot

In Memorandum
Reaction score
I believe that the PT output is very dependent on the load, i.e. a hotter set of tubes drawing more current will 'load down' the PT more than a cooler set.

This is why it is important to measure the voltage when biasing to insure you stay in a safe range. (50-70 %)

A more 'robust' or possibly bigger PT may not suffer the same effect.

I guess I'd have to agree with that, logically. It would seem that Marshall gave us "just enough" to do the job. But wouldn't a more 'robust' transformer simply start out at a higher VDC? There seems to be a paradox at work. You'd think that the hot set of tubes I had would draw more to feed themselves, yet they drew less. Or maybe it's resistance at work. Dunno. -Rod-

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
Think of a PT as the engine in your vehicle.

Now you have 2 vehicles, one is a 1000hp truck and the other is a 90hp car.

To climb the hill near your house, in the truck you can do that on an idle. No real load.
If you tried to idle up the hill in your car, it would stall. Huge load, and you need to compensate by stepping up the rpms in order to make it.

With the OEM PT, you can't step up the rpms, so something has gotta give.
The voltage drops.

If it was a more powerful PT, the voltage wouldn't drop so much.

Kind of a simple analogy, and there are other factors, but it all boils down to somethings gotta give...

mickeydg5

Reaction score
The middle east of the united states of America
th

J.LaGrassa

Reaction score
Anyone going to try or have tried this new tube from Eurotubes it's the JJ EL34 II, I may give these a shot soon but still a big fan of the E34L.

From there web page!

A brand new EL34 offering called the EL34 II. Its low mid focus is a little lower than the standard EL34 and it just sounds FAT!
It has all the high end and upper mids you would expect from a great EL34 but it just sounds BIG! It’s not as aggressive as the E34L,
but everyone who has heard it so far called it their favorite.
6480.jpg

frankyfal

Reaction score
Anyone going to try or have tried this new tube from Eurotubes it's the JJ EL34 II, I may give these a shot soon but still a big fan of the E34L.

6480.jpg
The power tubes are the only thing I have yet to change out on my dsl40. These look interesting.

J.LaGrassa

Reaction score
The power tubes are the only thing I have yet to change out on my dsl40. These look interesting.

I'm using the JJ E34L right now they have a very nice low end to them and headroom is a little higher compared to the stock power tubes!

Len

Reaction score
Ok, I need to ask you guys a slightly off topic question.
I have a very nice Gibson Les Paul Standard ’08 and I recently bought a Hofner acoustic to accompany my daughter as she learns guitar. I've been gassing for a Fender Stratocaster and Thomann (a music company near me) had an American Standard with custom shop Fat50 pickups and all the extras in a very beautiful metallic blue...... Should I give in to temptation or stay strong ? ?
I'm asking because I ordered it then decided to be sensible and cancelled it. I was a bit too late and it's now in my basement.........I can return it for a full refund ... But .....?

Yeah, that's off topic alright . Why not post it in a guitar forum where you'll get more replies?

So Cal Steve

Reaction score
JJ's are great for taking the edge off the highs, I use all JJ ECC83S and a pair of JJ E34L power tubes with excellent results. I prefer the Celestion V-Type over the Creambacks... I tried both G12H & G12M versions and they are still on the bright side but the G12M is still a nice speaker.

I agree - the V-Type is a great match with these amps.

I did mini-review a page or 2 back.

I'm trying to sell my amp locally and will be keeping the V-Type. I have a Vox AC15C1 on the way and will compare the V-Type with the stock Greenback in that amp or maybe sell them both toward a Celestion Blue.

BTW, nothing against the amp, I've just been playing Marshalls and clones for years and am going in a different direction. Instead of humbuckers into a dirty Marshall I'm going Tele into a Vox cleanish blues rhythm playing.

J.LaGrassa

Reaction score
You're not kidding!

This speaker sounds fantastic in this amp. It sounds more Marshally, if you can believe that - like the tone in my head. There is so much more detail and clarity and like someone at TGP said, to quote:

"The V-Types also seem to have a really awesome ability to clean up, and chime up with less gain, and sound thicker with more gain. Don't ask me how. But they do."

Money well spent!

Ended up buying another V-Type, I regretted selling the one I had and just reinstalled it today... sounds great right out of the box!

kingbee

Reaction score
Thanks for that! I dig the V-Type in my DSL40C. Fwiw, I put V-Types in my EVH 2x12 to go with my EVH 5150 III 50 watt. What a great speaker!

rpinon69

Reaction score
I agree - the V-Type is a great match with these amps.

I did mini-review a page or 2 back.

I'm trying to sell my amp locally and will be keeping the V-Type. I have a Vox AC15C1 on the way and will compare the V-Type with the stock Greenback in that amp or maybe sell them both toward a Celestion Blue.

BTW, nothing against the amp, I've just been playing Marshalls and clones for years and am going in a different direction. Instead of humbuckers into a dirty Marshall I'm going Tele into a Vox cleanish blues rhythm playing.

Watched the video comparison a few pages back I really digging the tone form the G12H 75 watt. Which was less bright the G12H or G12M?

Thanks

rpinon69

Reaction score
JJ's are great for taking the edge off the highs, I use all JJ ECC83S and a pair of JJ E34L power tubes with excellent results. I prefer the Celestion V-Type over the Creambacks... I tried both G12H & G12M versions and they are still on the bright side but the G12M is still a nice speaker.

Watched the video comparison a few pages back I really digging the tone form the G12H 75 watt. Which was less bright the G12H or G12M?

Thank

J.LaGrassa

Reaction score

Thank

I've had both the Creambacks and the CB 65 (G12M) was little less bright.

J.LaGrassa

Reaction score
Thanks! I am seriously considering putting one in. When you talk about the V-Type are you referring to

Classic - V-Type - Celestion - Guitar, Bass & Pro Audio Speakers

It's not as pricey as the G12M Creamback!

Yes thats the one, I love that speaker in the DSL40. For me I prefer it over the Creambacks it suits the music I play and the tones I like.

Here is a little sample of the V-Type I recorded this when i first got it, its with my PRS McCarty and the tubes I use are JJ ECC83S and JJ E34L using Lead 1!
[SC]https://soundcloud.com/j-lagrassa/dsl40c-v-type[/SC]

rpinon69

Reaction score
Yes thats the one, I love that speaker in the DSL40. For me I prefer it over the Creambacks it suits the music I play and the tones I like.

Here is a little sample of the V-Type I recorded this when i first got it, its with my PRS McCarty and the tubes I use are JJ ECC83S and JJ E34L using Lead 1!
[SC]https://soundcloud.com/j-lagrassa/dsl40c-v-type[/SC]

That sounds really good are you going straight in no overdrive? i am also curious on how you captured such a pure tone. SM57 on the cone?

Thanks

J.LaGrassa

Reaction score
That sounds really good are you going straight in no overdrive? i am also curious on how you captured such a pure tone. SM57 on the cone?

Thanks

Straight into the amp, I used a Tascam DR-05 digital recorder setup about 2' away from the amp so it captures the room as well.