• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

The Official Marshall DSL40c Information Thread

• Thread starter Micky
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ken361

Reaction score
The 40c sounds really good at low volumes just below the 1 mark, and loud enough to record also. I keep it at the 40 watt mode all the time.

Bownse

Reaction score
I used my in Triode (half power) mode for bedroom volumes. In Pentode (full power) mode the changes in volume are harder control because a slight move of the dial creates big changes. The controls are less sensitive at half power.

If playing with a band or in a larger room that difference is less noticable because you want bigger sound.

Reactions: IRG

rlowe

Reaction score
I wanted (and still want) to buy a CODE for practice, but it is getting delayed every month. Since I need an amp for apartment practice, I am thinking about getting a DSL. I tested a DSL15C at my local music store and liked it quite a bit. I couldn't get a good impression of how good the amp sounds at low volumes since the ambient noise in the store was too much.

My problem now is that I don't know which DSL to pick. There isn't a huge price difference between the DSL5C (~550€) and the DSL40C (~700€), so price is not really a deciding factor. The DSL5C should be better suited for apartment practice. However, I dislike that I'd have to buy a separate reverb pedal. The DSL15C has reverb but no effects loop. Finally, the DSL40C has everything, and it's big cab might produce the best sound. Does it work well enough at low volumes (= low TV volumes, normal conversation volumes)?
IMO the dsl40c sounds better at a tad bit larger volume and maybe not as suitable for say, an apartment dwelling where tenants can become annoyed (the dsl40c can produce substantial volume). The dsl15c and dsl5c can still get loud, whereas the dsl5c has a headphone jack for privacy. I believe other forum members own the dsl5c and maybe they can help. :iough:

WasStoNed

Reaction score
I play mine pretty quiet when the familay are around, I sit within 3 feet of it and the sound comes through well. It does sound alot better when I can crank it though.
It's wierd as I think I am being really loud but family say they can only hear the bassier bits.

I think i've broken the speaker in now as the sound is more consistent.

Toni

Reaction score
IMO the dsl40c sounds better at a tad bit larger volume and maybe not as suitable for say, an apartment dwelling where tenants can become annoyed (the dsl40c can produce substantial volume). The dsl15c and dsl5c can still get loud, whereas the dsl5c has a headphone jack for privacy. I believe other forum members own the dsl5c and maybe they can help. :iough:

What I find a bit annoying with the DSL5C is that when you add a reverb pedal and some patch cables you end up with a higher price than the DSL15C and almost at the same price as the DSL40C; at least at my store. Looking purely at price and what you get for it, the DSL40C seems to be the best deal. (I don't fully understand Marshall's pricing strategy here.) I'm just not sure if it would be the best idea to get the DSL40C and never be able to crank it up. I am living in a rented apartment and I am not gigging.

IRG

Reaction score
I agree with Toni, the DSL40C is the better all around value, but it comes to what you need and like for your situation. I find the 40dsl does well at home, that's where I use it, both at 20 and 40 w. Probably if it had a 1 watt mode it might be even more suitable for apartment dwelling, but not sure how feasible that would be. The included reverb sucks, just being honest. It beats not having anything though, especially if you just want a touch. But the effects loop imo is worth the upgrade over the other two. And I have a Digitech Polara and some analog delays in the loop which sound wonderful with this amp. I had a Boss RV6 reverb pedal, and it wasn't a good match for this amp, or my ears, not sure why.

IRG

Reaction score
If I could have a "different" version of the DSL, it might be just the green channel, with footswitchable clean and crunch modes. Two totally different volume/gain for each channel, and separate EQ for each too. Might only need bass and treble, with switches for a mid boost for each channel if desired, or something along those lines.

I like how both the clean and crunch sound with a Les Paul, and don't have a drop a bass, unlike the red channel. I understand why though, with lots of gain and volume, too much bass can sound flubby, hence the reduction. But for home use, it just sounds a bit anemic, unlike the green channel at any level.

I use a ThorpyFX Muffroom fuzz with the green channel, when I need a good dose of heavy - with it, no need for the red channel.

Bownse

Reaction score
I'd agree with the above. I could easily see getting the 40 as being much more flexible to different needs. I'd run it at 20 with the volume down (maybe on a stand if in an upstairs appt so that it wouldn't transmit through the floor as much). Plenty do-able while avoiding the need to buy another amp if you living situation changes.

If you're wanting a practice amp for an appt (only), then get a little Pignose with an A/C adapter and go to town.

rlowe

Reaction score
The 40c sounds really good at low volumes just below the 1 mark, and loud enough to record also. I keep it at the 40 watt mode all the time.
Glad you like it Ken361, but i've gots to have a little more meat on the bone!

LckydevL

Reaction score
Added a MXR 10 Band EQ a few months ago. Main reason for purchase was the ability to take the volume down to as much as -12db. Also get the cool little knobs that go up and down that makes me sound a lot better than I really am.

To give an example of its effectiveness, these numbers are smallish bedroom numbers. MXR - volume -12db, gain 0bd, everything else to taste.

Red channel Lead 1:

Vol - 7
Gain - 4
Treble - 3
Middle - 3
Bass - 6
Presence - 0
Resonance - 4

Don't know if this has been discussed as an alternative to an attenuator or not. But it works for me. And I feel like I can dial any sound I need to with the MXR EQ.

Gibson Les Paul Standard (Burstbucker Pro's) straight in with MXR EQ and a TC Electronice HOF in the loop.

Last edited:

G the wildman

Reaction score
Added a MXR 10 Band EQ a few months ago. Main reason for purchase was the ability to take the volume down to as much as -12db. Also get the cool little knobs that go up and down that makes me sound a lot better than I really am.

To give an example of its effectiveness, these numbers are smallish bedroom numbers. MXR - volume -12db, gain 0bd, everything else to taste.

Red channel Lead 1:

Vol - 7
Gain - 4
Treble - 3
Middle - 3
Bass - 6
Presence - 0
Resonance - 4

Don't know if this has been discussed as an alternative to an attenuator or not. But it works for me. And I feel like I can dial any sound I need to with the MXR EQ.

Gibson Les Paul Standard (Burstbucker Pro's) straight in with MXR EQ and a TC Electronice HOF in the loop.
I like this. Who else uses pedasl with the DSL40c. Please tell us about them. E.g. Why you use them and what they do that the amp can't.

rlowe

Reaction score
I would suggest using an overdrive to drive the green clean, or crunch channel mix and match. I use a an Archer overdrive to boost a Rothwell hellbender overdrive running thru the clean channel with gain at mid. The Marshall dsl 40c sounds great on rhythm and some classic lead, but IMO if you use this, or a similiar setup your harmonic content will sound better and stronger! :realmad:

G the wildman

Reaction score
I would suggest using an overdrive to drive the green clean, or crunch channel mix and match. I use a an Archer overdrive to boost a Rothwell hellbender overdrive running thru the clean channel with gain at mid. The Marshall dsl 40c sounds great on rhythm and some classic lead, but IMO if you use this, or a similiar setup your harmonic content will sound better and stronger! :realmad:
Is the volume too low on green without crunch or do the pedals raise the volume?

luis henrique

Reaction score
13179447_1014449241925848_1286660451182716613_n.jpg

rlowe

Reaction score
Is the volume too low on green without crunch or do the pedals raise the volume?
If you have a high output overdrive like the Rothwell, or Archer pedal using one or both combined with the gain set at noon their will be plenty of volume and gain. Using the Archer to boost the Rothwell on the clean channel can give you unlimited possibilities depending on how you set it. The point of using the clean channel is that it gives you a cleaner, more of a harmonically distinct tone, yet plenty of gain.

Paul_pedro

Reaction score
Im planning to buy a dsl 40c this summer, anything i should know about it? Quite a new guitar player, only started a few months ago. Also what pedals should i have? Ive already purchased a fullbore metal distortion and a wah pedal. I play guns and roses, metallica, led zepellin, avenged sevenfold and etc.

Paul_pedro

Reaction score
Also id like to buy a cab simulator for when im playing with headphones. Are there any cheaper ones because the ones i saw where too expensive for me :/

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
Im planning to buy a dsl 40c this summer, anything i should know about it? Quite a new guitar player, only started a few months ago. Also what pedals should i have? Ive already purchased a fullbore metal distortion and a wah pedal. I play guns and roses, metallica, led zepellin, avenged sevenfold and etc.
You need to start at the beginning of this thread.
All your questions will be answered...