• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

The Official Marshall DSL40c Information Thread

• Thread starter Micky
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
With your post, on my system here it went to 300.

This is really a testament to everyone else who has contributed, it is not just me.
Threads come, and threads go. I am surprised this one has lasted as long as it has.
It has SOOOO much info it is kinda unweildy, but the search function works and if you dig deep you can find things.

My hat is off to everyone who has contributed to this epic thread!

Notes69

Reaction score
Congrats on 300. This thread won me over. I was in the market for something small...something I could practice with, and maybe jam if needed. I was intrigued by the CODE, which led me to this forum. I lurked for a while, then I found this thread on the 40c. Well, long story short, I'm now the proud owner of a DSL40c and I love it.

I read the first 50 pages very carefully and am picking up some great info....Wow, just 250 more pages to go. It's like a mystery novel, and there are some great characters. Micky, your the Man! I wish I had half the knowledge of the masters here...and I probably will by the time I get caught up. And for that, I thank you, ALL.

As it turns out, I don't even lug the head and cabinet to band practice anymore. This little thang Ripps. I doubt Ill be making many mods other than speaker selections, but I do like the idea of adding a single 12, or maybe a pair.

CODE What??

CIAO!!!

Bownse

Reaction score
No new changes for mine in months. It's settled in and there to do the job. The mods to my Lester and the addition of a used strat have dialed in the sounds I wanted.

BanditPanda

Reaction score
I;ve dug up an older EH Linear Power Boost and have read that it is better being run thru the effects loop.
Does that essentially mean that it hits the power tubes whereas in front of the amp it would hit the preamp tubes , thereby providing power tube O/D as opposed to Preamp O/D ?

Just as a follow up to say that the Power Boost didn't do what I wanted running thru the Effects loop so its now resting before my last OD pedal in front of the amp.

Reno D'Santie

Reaction score
I...AM...SPARTAN!!!

300 strong treads, Congrats to everybody.
I still have mine fully stock, I'm pretty sure a speaker upgrade will do wonders, but after 2 years and a 4 Ibanez (ART100, AX120, DarkStone DN500 and Jem7vWH) and a squire FrankenTELE (undergone quite of surgery), still find it to have a killer tone.
I complement my classic cruch (gain 5, bass 4, treb&mids 6, res 4, press 6 & TS out) with a TC darkmatter for fat saturated leads or TC spark mini for bluesy classic rock leads.
same gain level on OD1 for my Hairy tone...

cheers everyone

rlowe

Reaction score
I...AM...SPARTAN!!!

300 strong treads, Congrats to everybody.
I still have mine fully stock, I'm pretty sure a speaker upgrade will do wonders, but after 2 years and a 4 Ibanez (ART100, AX120, DarkStone DN500 and Jem7vWH) and a squire FrankenTELE (undergone quite of surgery), still find it to have a killer tone.
I complement my classic cruch (gain 5, bass 4, treb&mids 6, res 4, press 6 & TS out) with a TC darkmatter for fat saturated leads or TC spark mini for bluesy classic rock leads.
same gain level on OD1 for my Hairy tone...

cheers everyone
A new speaker upgrade will open the ears! IMO the V 30 Celestion does a really good job! :blah::blah:

Hippie29

Reaction score
Hi guys..so my 1 month old dsl40c suddenly is making a loud hum noise when i power on, like the kind of noise when your instrument cable is not plugged into the guitar.. so i pulled out the tube closest to the jack and the noise disappeared. Whats wrong with it? Tia

stringer

Reaction score
Just checked my plate voltage 455
Bias was 41.0 and 40.0 from factory..less than 1 hour play time.
I adjusted bias to 38.41 and 38.2..
Is this good.

CarlosPrex

Reaction score
Hi
I´ve just started a new thread about this, but on a second thought maybe this could be a faster way to get the info I need.

Today, while my band was rehearsing, my DSL40C stopped sounding. Everything seemed to be fine, power led on, preamp and power tubes normal glow...just no sound.
Took my amp home and found FS1 was blown.

Any suggestions, what should I do or check before installing a new fuse?

Thanks in advance

Carlos

Attachments

• FS1 blown.JPG
    FS1 blown.JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 8

rlowe

Reaction score
Just checked my plate voltage 455
Bias was 41.0 and 40.0 from factory..less than 1 hour play time.
I adjusted bias to 38.41 and 38.2..
Is this good.
Google Ted Weber bias calculator Yep, thats it! :realmad:Your bias from factory was actually not too bad as, some dsl 40c's have ranged in the mid 50's

Last edited:

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
Hi guys..so my 1 month old dsl40c suddenly is making a loud hum noise when i power on, like the kind of noise when your instrument cable is not plugged into the guitar.. so i pulled out the tube closest to the jack and the noise disappeared. Whats wrong with it? Tia
Sounds like that first preamp tube, V1, is defective. Put in a new one and see.

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
Hi
I´ve just started a new thread about this, but on a second thought maybe this could be a faster way to get the info I need.

Today, while my band was rehearsing, my DSL40C stopped sounding. Everything seemed to be fine, power led on, preamp and power tubes normal glow...just no sound.
Took my amp home and found FS1 was blown.

Any suggestions, what should I do or check before installing a new fuse?

Thanks in advance

Carlos
Could be a power tube has died, they can still light up. Something killed the fuse. You could try replacing fuse and see but if it goes again, there's issues. Or try a new set of power tubes or try the current pair in a different amp. Maybe a tech type person has better knowledge of what FS1 is for...

G the wildman

Reaction score
Congrats on 300. This thread won me over. I was in the market for something small...something I could practice with, and maybe jam if needed. I was intrigued by the CODE, which led me to this forum. I lurked for a while, then I found this thread on the 40c. Well, long story short, I'm now the proud owner of a DSL40c and I love it.

I read the first 50 pages very carefully and am picking up some great info....Wow, just 250 more pages to go. It's like a mystery novel, and there are some great characters. Micky, your the Man! I wish I had half the knowledge of the masters here...and I probably will by the time I get caught up. And for that, I thank you, ALL.

As it turns out, I don't even lug the head and cabinet to band practice anymore. This little thang Ripps. I doubt Ill be making many mods other than speaker selections, but I do like the idea of adding a single 12, or maybe a pair.

CODE What??

REPLY FROM G THE WILDMAN
What 12 inch speaker would you add. I have the stock speaker as a spare and might put it in a single cab. What do you think? Where can I get a cab. Should I speak to Marshall? I only play at home will an extra speaker improve the sound at home or would it be superfluous?
CIAO!!!