• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

The Official Marshall DSL40c Information Thread

• Thread starter Micky
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Notes69

Reaction score
G the Wildman, I haven't done any research as to what speaker I would use. I have an old single combo, which I have been thinking about turning into a single extension. My drummer is a heavy hitter, so I'm debating on my situation.
If you are just jamming at home, I would think you are fine without it. I think the DSL sounds great, and is plenty loud for home use.

Hippie29

Reaction score
My 2 month old dsl40c is busted. Drifting bias. I only use it 30 minutes a day. Any advice guys? I bought it as an overstock so returns is not possible, no warranty either

Hippie29

Reaction score
It is possible if you just hook up the Seventy/80 and sit it on the floor or lean it somewhere good, that you will be able to test it without actually mounting it; at least for the buzz/fuzz tone that you were hearing.

The speaker could have been not tightened down well, or possibly it was not seated exactly right on the baffle, or some other actual mounting problem that caused a sympathetic resonating buzz. It might actually still be good.

I did exactly like Micky did and put my Seventy/80 in another amp and the amp now sounds "way" better. I use it in my drum room.

On the other hand I got a Crate Palamino V32 two twelve combo, brand new from Crate and one of the speakers had a big, like five inch long, tear in it. It sounded terrible. I salvaged that speaker using the Elmer's glue and half water mixture, and the dipping sheets of toilet paper in it and then carefully applying the lightly soaked toilet paper sheets over the rip in the cone. I applied several sheets of the glue covered toilet paper sheets on the cone and let them dry. This turned out to be a great solution and the speaker sounds great, believe it or not. It has been very durable as well. It takes some practice to get the toilet paper sheets just barely covered with the glue so that it doesn't disintegrate into "pulp". You want the sheets to maintain their formation so you can sheet them out over the rip. It works very well.

Good luck with that speaker. I wouldn't give up on it. It is actually a very good, inexpensive, Celestion speaker.

Ive done this to my v30 worked like magic.

Hippie29

Reaction score
My bias jumps from 38 to 170 after playing it for just 10 minutes then followed by a loud hum, then no more signal from my guitar. Any solution? My amp.is only 2 months old and i couldnt return it, no warranty neither. Sad sad

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
My bias jumps from 38 to 170 after playing it for just 10 minutes then followed by a loud hum, then no more signal from my guitar. Any solution? My amp.is only 2 months old and i couldnt return it, no warranty neither. Sad sad
Put in you spare set of finals and try again, to see if there is a bad tube...

G the wildman

Reaction score
Hi guys,

My DSL 40c started to sound a bit flabby and harsh. So I checked the bias and it was 37 and 35. I equalised it at 35 an checked that the pre amp tubes were seated properly. It sounds fine now. Is such a small difference in bias capable of spoiling the sound.

If so how often should I check it. Or is it only necessary when the sound changes for the worse?

G

saxon68

Just another voice in the mix.
Reaction score
Pasting from another thread, fits here for new guys considering the amps. Couple years old on my DSL40C, recorded with my iPhone 4S:

All bone stock, after the 70/80 speaker broke in. The only change was an EXH 12AX7 to replace the one that blew 2 days after I got the amp. No pedals, just onboard reverb.

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
Hi guys,

My DSL 40c started to sound a bit flabby and harsh. So I checked the bias and it was 37 and 35. I equalised it at 35 an checked that the pre amp tubes were seated properly. It sounds fine now. Is such a small difference in bias capable of spoiling the sound.

If so how often should I check it. Or is it only necessary when the sound changes for the worse?

G
That doesn't seem like it should really affect it that bad.. I wouldn't check it unless it sounds poo, they aren't known for bias drift...

Len

Reaction score
My 2 month old dsl40c is busted. Drifting bias. I only use it 30 minutes a day. Any advice guys? I bought it as an overstock so returns is not possible, no warranty either
I'd take it to a tech.

rlowe

Reaction score
So, are you using it's affects loop and bypassing the one in the 40c?
I believe you can do that as I just got mine in and need a little time to adjust. In a 10 minute session (man have I been busy), the inline kills noise dead and $60.00 aprx. not too bad!

Bownse

Reaction score
After much Youtube viewing, my Amazon same-day delivery arrived last night. As with most of these things, explicit instructions are lacking in detail.

1. There's an input and output.
2. There's an effects loop (send and return).

Can you take the loop and route it through the loop of the amp? I suspect not. It would appear that the loop leaves the pedal, comes back in and then routes out through the output.

Guitar into INPUT
OUTPUT to Amp (and ungated pedals)
SEND to the chain of noisy pedals and then back into the RETURN of the gate

The issue is that one of the noisiest pedals I have is a phase shifter but I like it's impact best on the amps affects loop (instead of the mains). Since it needs gating, it will have to go into the front of the amp.

The controls over release, thresh(old), and reduction mean that it can be dialed in to be less intrusive (time-based decay into the clamp allows for a longer sustain if that's your goal).

I can see some play time with this today to go back through my current chain config and moving pedals around for the new config.

---update---

That was easier than I expected. Put it in line right after the Sonic Research Turbo Tuner ST-300 so the tuner cut-out will work the whole chain without any coloration from anything else.

Guitar-tuner-Silencer-amp

Everything else through the loop and back into the Silencer.

Silencer Send-pedals-Silencer Return

After turning on each pedal and listening only for it, there was some noise in each one. The worst 2 were the SP400 Super Phase Shifter and the Metal Muff. When I went in, I thought it would be the SP400 that would be loudest but it was the MM instead. Seems the sine wave style of the noise from the SP400 made it more noticable to me than the constant noise of the MM. The other pedals had their own (lower) contributions too (TC Electronics Dreamscape and a Behringer Hellbabe HB01 Wa). The Dreamscape had the least noise of the lot with the HB01 second. Because of my lack of (couldn't find) short patch cables, I left the HB01 out of the semi-final config (after testing) because I use it least. The Dreamscape adds a great bit of "shine" when needed.

Current settings are:
Release: 12 o'clock
Reduction: 10 o'clock
Thresh: 11 o'clock

Nothing is going into the DSL40C affects loop now.

Last edited:

DreamTommy

Reaction score
Hello everyone! been a long time since i have been here. I am still EXTREMELY happy with my DSL 40C. I did end up replacing all the tubes and Martimus Maximus took great care of me. Amp sounds amazing! I use it plugged into my ext cab with 2 cream backs and 2 V30's. Space has been an issue for me and i thought about converting my DSL to a head. I did some searching and sure enough other members had already done it. So I just thought i would share my results for others and add my 2 cents to the community. I ever so carefully sliced my cabinet in half and glued it back together. I also used 6 flat metal bracket to attach the two halfs back together so i could work on it while the glue was drying. The only other thing i needed was a piece of wood to fill the void below the panel as the original front piece didn't provide spare wood without the speaker hole in the way. I painted the wood black and wrapped it with the cloth and mounted the Marshall logo to it. The back piece i ended up cutting 5 1/2 inches from the top and screwed it right back on - it looks perfect and i have the elongated hole in the back - not the mesh grill half. I left a total of 7 1/2 inches (Inside diameter) so i can just pull the tubes out. I am extremely happy with the results and the space saving. Project took me about 4 hrs total.

Here is a shot of my DSL40H:

IMG_0777_zpstqkohojb.jpg

Until the next time

masap
Hello, so interesting what you did to the DSL40C. It looks like the head is sitting on a 1960V (Straight cab), but the 1960V straight cab is 770 mm wide and the DSL 40C is 620 mm wide. But in this shot, it looks like the cabinet is just a little wider, rather a lot wider, like the picture in my profile image. So interesting! Very cool looking too!

DreamTommy

Reaction score
I wanted (and still want) to buy a CODE for practice, but it is getting delayed every month. Since I need an amp for apartment practice, I am thinking about getting a DSL. I tested a DSL15C at my local music store and liked it quite a bit. I couldn't get a good impression of how good the amp sounds at low volumes since the ambient noise in the store was too much.

My problem now is that I don't know which DSL to pick. There isn't a huge price difference between the DSL5C (~550€) and the DSL40C (~700€), so price is not really a deciding factor. The DSL5C should be better suited for apartment practice. However, I dislike that I'd have to buy a separate reverb pedal. The DSL15C has reverb but no effects loop. Finally, the DSL40C has everything, and it's big cab might produce the best sound. Does it work well enough at low volumes (= low TV volumes, normal conversation volumes)?

Hello, I have the DSL40C and really enjoy it. I purchased the DSL40C after much research and test-drives. The effects loop sold me! I would have purchased a DSL40H if it existed, because I do have a 412 cabinet. Aside from The 5 and 15 watt units having lower wattage and not a huge price difference going from the DSL15C to 40C, the loop is important if you want to use effects after the pre-amp stage (typically time-based effects) or Amp Models in a 4-cable method, that also avoids stacking pre-amps and coloring your sound. As you can see, by my profile picture, the combo sits on top of the cabinet and the 40C was the choice. The DSL100H was too much power and the cost seemed a little extravagant for me personally. I am using the amp combo as a 5x12. I get sound out of the cab and combo and it sounds big. You just have to be concerned about the correct ohm load. I also am testing pedal boards. A unit like the Digitech RP1000 (not only an effects unit with stompbox styling, but an amp modeler and full-blown switching system) gives you the ability to use your amp sound, the modeler and all kinds of effects in a flexible system. Check out 4 cable method with an item like RP1000 on youtube.