• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

The Official Marshall DSL40c Information Thread

• Thread starter Micky
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

wolfpack

Reaction score
Half power/20 watt setting & 16 ohm speaker = can still use 16ohm tap or have to use the 8ohm ?

BluesTone

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm planning on getting a DSL40C Limited Edition Vintage, and I'm wondering how a 2015 Clapton Strat will sound through it. I play mostly blues stuff, is this a good choice of amp for my guitar?

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm planning on getting a DSL40C Limited Edition Vintage, and I'm wondering how a 2015 Clapton Strat will sound through it. I play mostly blues stuff, is this a good choice of amp for my guitar?
Yup. Great choice. Amp is incredibly versatile.

ken361

Reaction score
I just got a new American strat with the fat 50's pickups, cleans are amazing!crunch is real good. Lead 1 red was pretty bright so im going to put my old v1 tube to tame it some. Lead 2 even warmer for more high gain stuff just keep the treble and presence low at around 3. Your going to dig it!

saxon68

Just another voice in the mix.
Reaction score
Clean that room, mister! ;)

LoL it was in the process of being cleaned, bed was stripped and why there is a large blanket on the floor, and the hamper was pulled out of the closet for laundry also. I think I was getting a reaming after that for taking up space :)

rlowe

Reaction score
Pasting from another thread, fits here for new guys considering the amps. Couple years old on my DSL40C, recorded with my iPhone 4S:

All bone stock, after the 70/80 speaker broke in. The only change was an EXH 12AX7 to replace the one that blew 2 days after I got the amp. No pedals, just onboard reverb.

Glad you like it! I did too after break-in and tube changes until I installed a Vintage 30 and woops! my ears agreed V 30. :jam:

saxon68

Just another voice in the mix.
Reaction score
Glad you like it! I did too after break-in and tube changes until I installed a Vintage 30 and woops! my ears agreed V 30. :jam:

I have a V30 in my Jet City cabinet, use with my EVH 5150 III. BTW they make amazing cabs, real ply, recessed metal handles, etc. mine is one of the USA models. Anyhow, I have listened to a few side by sides with V30 and greenbacks, and I "think" my ears prefer the greenback for the music I like. I plan to get one at some point and A/B them, for a couple weeks at a time for each. Who knows, may end up getting a 2x12 and load both in there! I don't dislike what I have now, and it's a great sound to my ears. I think I'd also like to get another DSL40C at some point in the future.

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
The Celestion V30, the WGS Vet30 and other similar speakers are a great chouce for this amp. They allow for tight bass (not muddy or muffled) as well as great mids while taming the highs a bit. Personally I like this speaker in EVERY amp... I have one in my DSL5c and I love it.

I also would like to get another 40c sometime, just to have one that is stock. Mine is modded so heavy now it is nothing like the original...

ken361

Reaction score
I picked up a used Strat HSS FSR (Mexican) and it sounds great through my 40c.
Tweak the poles pieces on the humbucker raise them to each string sounds the smoothest! Not a bad sounding guitar. My new one really dynamic and resonates really good unplugged and plugged in.

ken361

Reaction score
Tweak the poles pieces on the humbucker raise them to each string sounds the smoothest! Not a bad sounding guitar. My new one really dynamic and resonates really good unplugged and plugged in.
But im using single coils now, until I can afford more gear:)

Notes69

Reaction score
I share a band room with another band (it's their room), so I volunteered to do some spring cleaning. There is a collection, as in dozens, of dead, dying, or destroyed equipment. I was given permission to toss it all. I noticed a Marshall MG100DFX. So I thought I would take it home and see if I can fix it. I was not familiar with the amp, so after reading such poor reviews I decided not to invest my time.

I cleaned it up, and put my DSL40 on top of it...a nice surprise , it's the same size. So I'm debating if I should use it as a single extension. The speaker works, but I wont use it. My plan would be to disconnect any power so there wont be any accidental destruction and put in a new speaker.

Just curious what others would do. If I used two different speakers, would I still get a good tone? (I'm partial to the V30) Would you put the new speaker in the DSL and use the stock speaker for an extension ? I know I need to pay attention to OHMS, I haven't got that far in the planning stage. I'm not as advanced as the experts here, so I just want to get the ball rolling. Otherwise, it will just be a shelf for my DSL. From a practical standpoint, I do need an extension, so this would fit my needs perfectly. My DSL is bone stock. Thanks for any input.

The Trash heap, with a hidden jem.

trash.jpg

A perfect fit for my DSL40c

trash extend.jpg

Tomteriffic

Reaction score
Greetings, folks! New old geezer on the block here. I've played, borrowed and "had the use of" a number of Marshalls, going back to the Plexi days, but the DSL40C is the first one I've actually owned. I've read through a bunch of posts (admittedly not all 300-something pages, but a bunch) And I have a couple of questions:

The first is really a couple of questions rolled into one. I'm confused by the manual with regard to extension speakers, speaker impedance and such. For one thing, it says that if you have something plugged into the 16 ohm jack, the other two (8 ohm) won't work. I gather from reading here that that isn't the case, that an extension speaker is just peachy. I've also gathered that the amp doesn't want to see a total impedance of less than 8 ohms. So... it seems to me that the only way to get an 8 ohm load on the amp is to plug a 16 ohm load into an 8 ohm jack. So far, I'm loving this amp and I'd hate to let all of its magic smoke out. So what's the deal back there? The reason I ask is that I have a 16 ohm 2 x 12 that is dying to get a piece of the action.

Second, and I know that this is subjective but... The Stock 70/80 speaker strikes me as being pretty fizzy. It's not broken in yet (I've only had the amp for a couple of weeks), but I'm looking into options for smoothing out the top end. I've seen recommendations of a V30 and a WGS Veteran and an Eminence Texas Heat (which kind of surprised me) as options. Any others? Alas, I have any number of 12's around here but they're all 8 ohm.

Any and all advice welcome, thanks for letting me into the club.

Oh, and Micky, having seen your admonishment in some earlier posts, I went straight from here and checked in at the front desk. :agreed:

Last edited:

rlowe

Reaction score
Greetings, folks! New old geezer on the block here. I've played, borrowed and "had the use of" a number of Marshalls, going back to the Plexi days, but the DSL40C is the first one I've actually owned. I've read through a bunch of posts (admittedly not all 300-something pages, but a bunch) And I have a couple of questions:

The first is really a couple of questions rolled into one. I'm confused by the manual with regard to extension speakers, speaker impedance and such. For one thing, it says that if you have something plugged into the 16 ohm jack, the other two (8 ohm) won't work. I gather from reading here that that isn't the case, that an extension speaker is just peachy. I've also gathered that the amp doesn't want to see a total impedance of less than 8 ohms. So... it seems to me that the only way to get an 8 ohm load on the amp is to plug a 16 ohm load into an 8 ohm jack. So far, I'm loving this amp and I'd hate to let all of its magic smoke out. So what's the deal back there? The reason I ask is that I have a 16 ohm 2 x 12 that is dying to get a piece of the action.

Second, and I know that this is subjective but... The Stock 70/80 speaker strikes me as being pretty fizzy. It's not broken in yet (I've only had the amp for a couple of weeks), but I'm looking into options for smoothing out the top end. I've seen recommendations of a V30 and a WGS Veteran and an Eminence Texas Heat (which kind of surprised me) as options. Any others? Alas, I have any number of 12's around here but they're all 8 ohm.

Oh, and Micky, having seen your admonishment in some earlier posts, I went straight from here and checked in at the front desk. :agreed:
Here is a fairly decent video speaker comparison.

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
_{de3fr4

I am glad SOMEONE is reading other parts of this thread... Not just the new stuff.

Yes, when you plug something into the 16-ohm jack, the others are disabled. This is by design.
A 16-ohm extension cab as well as the 16-ohm combo speaker can be used simultaneously when plugged into the 2X8-ohm jacks. (8-ohm total load)
An 8-ohm only speaker can be used by plugging into one of the 8-ohm jacks.

And I don't admonish anyone, I might bully them a little. When you formally introduce yourself, it gives others on the site who do not frequent this thread a chance to learn a little bit about you. Believe it or not, there are members here who have NEVER ventured into the darkness of this thread...

Just about any speaker will work well in this amp, it is extremely versatile and sometimes very dependent on the guitar and pickups you use. For some the stock speaker brightens up a dull and heavy guitar. Others with let's say, a Strat or Tele may find it too bright and are unable to tame the treble or even what some might call 'ice-picky fizz' that a single-coil might deliver. This is where changing the speaker may help, speakers such as the Celestion V30 and the WGS Veteran 30 allow the bass to punch right thru, as well as the mids and can actually roll off or better define the highs. This is an extremely subjective aspect of the tone this amp can produce, and there are many other ways to tweak or fine-tune things to your liking.

You can easily swap speakers in this amp, and to use 8-ohm speakers isn't too much of a disadvantage, especially if you can find one that you like. With a 16-ohm speaker in the combo, you can easily plug in an extension and use both at the same time. With an 8-ohm speaker you can't. You are limited in that respect, but you never know, you might like it. Sounds like you have some to test. I will bet you can easily find a combination you like, especially if you take the time to dial in the EQ to your liking. Have at it and let us know!

Tomteriffic

Reaction score
Thankee kindly! As it happened, I plugged in a Strat-ish thing last night, but it's equipped with supermegamongo hot rail type pcikups and is pretty much on the dark side, tonally. The opposite of what you'd expect out of a Strat, really. The 70/80 liked it lots better but the Treble and Presence controls were still pretty well all the way to the left. Still some more break-in is in order. Taking it to a little outdoor folk 'n' roll thing this evening. I want to hear it at some distance in a group setting as well before I make any kind of decision.

Muchos thankyous for setting me straight on the speaker impedance!

ken361

Reaction score
Here's my new strat started of on the bridge and went into the neck and then lead 2, the cleans got cut off I didnt have enough space but sounds awesome. Little sloppy though:)

G the wildman

Reaction score
Here's my new strat started of on the bridge and went into the neck and then lead 2, the cleans got cut off I didnt have enough space but sounds awesome. Little sloppy though:)

Same colour scheme as mine Ken. I have the delux. Try Albatross on Green clean or light crunch on neck. Awesome.