• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

The Official Marshall DSL40c Information Thread

• Thread starter Micky
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SlickTide1

Reaction score
EH tubes are a bit darker sounding...try a brighter tube in V1 BUT that will affect the Other channels a bit.

You are correct Dog, it is darker which is fine for the dirty channel but I miss my cleans. What tube would you suggest in V1 to clean it up a little. Will order today and bias a little lower when it comes in. BTW my plate voltage was 449.

Bownse

Reaction score
From post #3052 of this thread (and maybe others)

Carefully measure the voltage on pin 3 of the power tube it should be around 450-455Vdc then use the formula below to find the bias current usually 70% idle current is used. EL34 is a 25 Watt tube

watts/Plate Voltage x .7= idle current (70%)

25/455=.054mA x .7 = .038mA

so 38mA would be the idle current set at 70%

[tube V]/[plate V]x%=[bias target]

So, if your plate V is 449, you figure the 25 watts of the tubes, and your target is 70%, then:

25/449x.7=0.0389 mA (rounded up to 39 for 70%)

If you calculate for the V of the amp (20) then it's

20/449x.7=0.0311 mA (rounded to 31 for 70%).

If you want to figure a higher/lower % then sub .6 for 60% or .8 for 80%. This is where Mickey and others' comments about biasing to what sounds best to you comes into play. The calculation will get you "on paper" and you can then dial in what sounds "best" to you more quickly from there.

astr0z0mb1e2k14

Reaction score
pTRKiLr.jpg

I found the right 1x12 extension cab for my DSL40c. A Peavey 112-6. 18mm plywood construction, from baffle to backboard. the biggest plus, came loaded with a Celestion 12M greenback.

Didnt like the grill cloth on the BlackStar 1x12 cab that others have used, plus would have had to put a different speaker in it, as well.
Now, I am running a 2003 MIE 12H30 70th anny in the combo paired with the 12M greenback in the peavey. Now, just need to break in the greenie but am enjoying the sound, so far.

Snow and Steel

Reaction score
Today I have some free time, so I'll be installing new tubes and the Vintage 30 today. I'll hopefully have a review/report tonight, perhaps with an audio clip or two If I can get away with it.

Msharky67

Reaction score
J20404006000025-00-250x250.jpg

Here is my new baby! There is a small gouge on the top back panel but no big deal. Just a quick touch up of paint can fix. No foot switch too but that can wait for now. For $447 shipped I think I stole this! The wait was worth it! Can't wait to get it. Don't plan on modding it. May switch tubes and swap a speaker from one of my other cabs.

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
It is about time!
You have suffered long enough without one...

Patrick1959

Reaction score
Happy to report after a 20 hr. constant burn in on the new tubes and 24 hrs. since the last bias, the tubes have not drifted, guessing they needed some time to acclimate. I also un soldered one side of the c19 cap and I like it! I can get everything from decent clean to that sweet Marshall crunch we are all addicted to.No question, this is just a badass amp. One thing I've noticed, ceiling fans have an effect on the sound. Thanks for the suggestions.

c00lkatz

Reaction score
J20404006000025-00-250x250.jpg

Here is my new baby! There is a small gouge on the top back panel but no big deal. Just a quick touch up of paint can fix. No foot switch too but that can wait for now. For $447 shipped I think I stole this! The wait was worth it! Can't wait to get it. Don't plan on modding it. May switch tubes and swap a speaker from one of my other cabs.

I like the way those look...kinda wish I had waited out for one! You got a heck of a price on that thing!

BanditPanda

Reaction score
Yes I got me the CV also. Couldn't resist what they call the " vintage "look which I presume refers to the grill cloth.

Snow and Steel

Reaction score
Tubes installed, Vintage 30 loaded - wow, what a world of difference!

So the cats behind here is the green crunch channel, gain on 10. Rolling back my guitar volume to 6 or so gives me clean, at around 7-8 I've got a medium drive [very bluesbreaker-ish], at '10' I can have solo boost for that medium drive OR kick on a tubescreamer type for a solo boost to that. Alternately, the tubescreamer into this sounds like instant JCM800 to my ears.

I'm VERY pleased.

G the wildman

Reaction score
pTRKiLr.jpg

I found the right 1x12 extension cab for my DSL40c. A Peavey 112-6. 18mm plywood construction, from baffle to backboard. the biggest plus, came loaded with a Celestion 12M greenback.

Didnt like the grill cloth on the BlackStar 1x12 cab that others have used, plus would have had to put a different speaker in it, as well.
Now, I am running a 2003 MIE 12H30 70th anny in the combo paired with the 12M greenback in the peavey. Now, just need to break in the greenie but am enjoying the sound, so far.

Hi, is that extension for gigging or home use? How does it sound at home. What are the benefits?

G

krb813

Reaction score
Can someone give me some feedback on the DSL40C at Sweetwater with the Creamback speaker? I've heard the regular DSL40C. Is there a big difference?

Thanks

G the wildman

Reaction score
Can someone give me some feedback on the DSL40C at Sweetwater with the Creamback speaker? I've heard the regular DSL40C. Is there a big difference?

Thanks
I bought stock and then upgraded. To my ears the 65 Creamback softened the harsh sound. It has also got better over time.

For me it was worth it. But many but many musicians herein like the 70 80 stock.

You need try it out.

G

Snow and Steel

Reaction score
So the playing here isn't special in any way, and the mic is rather low quality, but this is a recording of the DSL40c after the speaker and tube change. Being able to compare it to the earlier one, this is much clearer and more defined, and more classic "Marshall" to my ears.

Reaction score

Thanks

If you were going to buy new, this would be the way to go. Chances are you would change the stock Seventy 80 anyway.

Willie

BanditPanda

Reaction score

I believe that Sweetwater is offering the creamback at no extra cost. Go for the creamback if that deal is still on.

astr0z0mb1e2k14

Reaction score
Hi, is that extension for gigging or home use? How does it sound at home. What are the benefits?

G

It is for gigging purposes. At reheresal, jamming with a bassist and drummer, its sounds great to our ears. Benefits?......its louder than just a 1x12 combo. is that what you are asking?:confused:

68nova

Reaction score
Hello everybody, long time reader, first time posting (except the introducing myself post). I started out reading this thread back in Oct. 2015. I was doing research on the DSL40c and found this. After reading off an on for about a month, I pulled the trigger and ordered one from Sweetwater. Came with the Creamback 65 already installed.
2015-11-11%2017.47.48_zpszfddfck3.jpg

After about a month and a half of owning the amp, it started making popping noises and was really staticky and just didn't sound right. Being new to tube amps I wasn't sure what was wrong with it. After more reading of this thread, decided that I should change out the tubes and see if that helped. A lot of you had posted your tube choices, so I made a decision and bought these:

TAD-EL34B-STR Power tubes, TAD-7025WA in the first slot, Ruby 12AX7HG+ in the second, Mullard 12ax7 reissue in the third, and a Sovtek LPS in the fourth. When I first installed the power tubes and checked the bias (thanks for the info on doing that), they were way hot at like 58. Set them back to around 38.

Doing more reading on this thread, I learned that this amp sounds really good plugged into an external speaker. So I decided to build another cabinet for it. Doing some research on speakers, I settled on a Celestian Creamback 75 for the extension Cabinet. This is what I set out to do.

Well I had some wood left over wood from making that cabinet, so I thought what the heck, lets just make a small stack.

Here is the head cabinet:

And here is the finished product:

About a month and a half ago, switched it over to half power and turned it on and it just squealed like crazy. Turned it right back off and switched back to full power. Turned it back on an it was fine. Pulled out the chassis to check the bias. Checked the plate voltage first, one tube had no reading at all, other was in the 450 range. So doing some more research, settled on a pair of Svetlanas. Biased them again to 38 and put it back together. Decided last night to check the bias as it wasn't sounding right again. Plate voltage was 428, both tubes. Bias was at 32, both. Weber bias calculator said to bias them at 40.8. Tried that for bit, but lowered back to 38. Then as I was looking at the circuit board, I decided to try the C19 mod. WOW, what a difference it makes. Thanks to all who suggested it. I really enjoy this amp, makes playing that much more fun. Oh and by the way, I have read this whole thread from start to finish. Actually just finished it about 3 weeks ago. So those are my mods to this great amp, sorry for the long post.

Snow and Steel

Reaction score
that head conversions looks great!

How frequently do you use the amp? Burning through tubes at a month and a half of use seems awful fast unless you are using it for 8 hours a day every day.

68nova

Reaction score
Thanks for the compliment on the head conversion. The original power tubes are Marshall branded TAD's and I still have them for back-ups. I don't play for extended periods of time, usually about 1-2 hours, but unfortunately not daily. There were a couple times I forgot to turn off the amp when I went to bed, it stayed in stand-by all night. That may have played a role in the demise of the power tubes. I also may have to look into some modifications to the head for better air flow. It has a vent on the back, but not sure if its enough.

Latest posts