• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

The Official Marshall DSL40c Information Thread

• Thread starter Micky
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MarshallDog

Reaction score
No I really didnt take the time to read all of it just wanted to say I ordered one and Im excited to put it in the amp. I like the tone I have but if it makes it that much better I was just curious.

Which brand did you order??

Bownse

Reaction score
If mine ate tubes every 2 months I'd be royally peeved. I biased my own amp, so I know exactly how well it was biased and I bought good tubes. If I find myself sinking $100 into it every 2 months I'll be getting rid of it.

My previous Marshall I replaced the tubes in it when I got it, then did 2 tours and never replaced the tubes ONCE. It was getting played 3-4 hours a night, 5 nights a week for several months on end! I checked them before I sold the amp and they were still showing excellent life.

There is no reason for the amp t be eating through the tubes that fast unless;
-the tubes themselves are bad - this might happen once but not all the time
-there is something wrong with the amp [bias drift, parts out of tolerance, etc etc]

And I don't disagree with that statement.

If you look at the printout, you'll see that I only went through that once. I also bias my own tubes to make sure they're done right. The luthier who hacks on amps grudgingly did a piss poor job when I had the amp checked after buying it used. I determined to do it myself and invest in an Eurotubes Pro One bias probe to make quicker (and safer) work of it.

I may have over-stated the issue by saying something like "every time" off the top of my head where the print out shows it was once. I'll attribute that to my reaction being the same as yours and the motivator to take it to a pro who builds and repairs tube amps (and mix boards for studios, etc.) as his ONLY job.

I figured that it might be a bad tube or it might be something in the amp (because I'd read about drift on some 40c units). I knew if I took it to a pro who went through it all while he had it, then at least my confidence level would be higher going forward.

tman

Reaction score
If you had taken the time to start at the beginning of the thread, you would realize that there are many others who have already done your homework for you. I am not saying this because I started the thread, but because there have been so many EXCELLENT contributors it is a travesty to have ignored them on purpose. There are many great photos as well, and you may actually find the read kinda interesting.

It is a tribute to all those who came before you, and required reading if you own a DSL40c...
Ill go back and read the thread thanks

krb813

Reaction score
I'm looking to install a Creamback speaker with 8 screw holes in place of the stock speaker which has 4 holes. Will there be a weight/support problem using just 4 of the screw holes on the Creamback?

Thanks

jlinde1973

Reaction score
I got the classic tones | 40-18025 | Marshall Style 50W Output Transformer and the choke is classictones | 40-18058 | Marshall Vintage Plexi Style 3 Hy Choke
The 3h will be a little saggier and less bass prenounced than the larger ones. 10h would probably be too stiff sounding..It should sound killer with the dsl. You'll definitely have that plexi vibe. Good choice man!

tman

Reaction score
The 3h will be a little saggier and less bass prenounced than the larger ones. 10h would probably be too stiff sounding..It should sound killer with the dsl. You'll definitely have that plexi vibe. Good choice man!
Thank you sir

c00lkatz

Reaction score
I got the classic tones | 40-18025 | Marshall Style 50W Output Transformer and the choke is classictones | 40-18058 | Marshall Vintage Plexi Style 3 Hy Choke
Well you bought the right parts. I did both to mine, along with changing several of the caps for Sprague Orange Drop and Mallory 150. Also did the C19 mod, changed out the tubes, and changed the speaker to a Vintage 30.

Let your own ears decide, but I wasn't impressed with the OT, choke, and caps. The tubes, C19 mod, and speaker did the trick for me. The rest of it I wouldn't bother with again if I were to do it over. You can see my thread about it a few pages back, and several others have posted more photos and such as well.

tman

Reaction score
Well you bought the right parts. I did both to mine, along with changing several of the caps for Sprague Orange Drop and Mallory 150. Also did the C19 mod, changed out the tubes, and changed the speaker to a Vintage 30.

Let your own ears decide, but I wasn't impressed with the OT, choke, and caps. The tubes, C19 mod, and speaker did the trick for me. The rest of it I wouldn't bother with again if I were to do it over. You can see my thread about it a few pages back, and several others have posted more photos and such as well.
Yeah I already did tube changes to old Mullard long plate and amprex bugle boys and speakers changes.I hook it up through 4x`12 cab and the c19 i cut out also. I put a Classic tones OP trans in another smaller 5 watt tbe amp I modded and it made that amp sound better it got punchier to my ears so Im hoping this op trans will do same thing and with the choke improve the sound and tone even ore then it already is.What didnt you like about the op trans how did it change the amp that you were not impressed??

MarshallDog

Reaction score
Anyone using the "Tone Shift" button on your DSL40C?? I tried it and it seems ti take away all those high harsh upper tones. Just curious??

Bownse

Reaction score
I'm looking to install a Creamback speaker with 8 screw holes in place of the stock speaker which has 4 holes. Will there be a weight/support problem using just 4 of the screw holes on the Creamback?

Thanks

I've had no problems even with the 75watt variant (heavier).

Snow and Steel

Reaction score
I don't like the tone shift - seems like all it does is suck out more mids and I don't think the amp needs any help in that!

MarshallDog

Reaction score
I don't like the tone shift - seems like all it does is suck out more mids and I don't think the amp needs any help in that!

Thats interesring, i have my mids set at 5 treble at 3.3 bass at 6 presence at 4 and resonance at 6 play with a less paul with treble on 5 and it still seems sreatchy when cranked up and i have a creamback and the darkest tubes I can find. I just dont get it other than i am losing the love for this amp and it may go down the road soon.

tman

Reaction score
Thats interesring, i have my mids set at 5 treble at 3.3 bass at 6 presence at 4 and resonance at 6 play with a less paul with treble on 5 and it still seems sreatchy when cranked up and i have a creamback and the darkest tubes I can find. I just dont get it other than i am losing the love for this amp and it may go down the road soon.
Not sure why brother I have same amp and I have no problems with what your expericing at all very strabge

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
So much of a players 'tone' has to do with subjective things it is sometimes hard to compare.
Also things like guitar, pickups, room acoustics and many other factors like playing style and string selection contribute to the differences we all hear. And than again, maybe the amp is not for you.

Personally I have always found Marshalls to be able to cut thru the mix because of their treble and scooped mids. Kinda nice really.
I just wish I was a lead guitarist...

Latest posts