The Official Marshall DSL40c Information Thread

• Thread starter Micky
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I found it definitely worth trying I really liked it at home, playing with my band last night I found my self looking for more gain for some of the tunes we play. I had the gain as high as 7 and it still sounds good like that but Im probably going to stick the stock tubes back in with the 70/80... a total reboot lol I guess over all I want that more saturated compressed tone.

I'm finding it to be another favorable set up and kind of a revoicing at least compared to what I had. It wasn't just gain level that changed.

I'm sure I'll go back to my set up but for now I'm going to mess around with this...see what else I find. Still need to record it...

ken361

Reaction score
I found it definitely worth trying I really liked it at home, playing with my band last night I found my self looking for more gain for some of the tunes we play. I had the gain as high as 7 and it still sounds good like that but Im probably going to stick the stock tubes back in with the 70/80... a total reboot lol I guess over all I want that more saturated compressed tone.
Try boosting up front? works well with the right pedals

whitecloud

Reaction score
trying to avoid pedals in front of the amp, I like plugging straight in and use my guitars volume for controlling dirt!
I tell you, using the Bogner LA Grange with just the Boost side engaged can really tip it over in a very good way. And that can be with either Green or Red channel on this amp. Must be a Boost pedal out there that can accomplish the same results for less coin, meaning not paying for the MIAB package. But to be honest a good argument for the LG in that regard.

J.LaGrassa

Reaction score
I tell you, using the Bogner LA Grange with just the Boost side engaged can really tip it over in a very good way. And that can be with either Green or Red channel on this amp. Must be a Boost pedal out there that can accomplish the same results for less coin, meaning not paying for the MIAB package. But to be honest a good argument for the LG in that regard.

One pedal I have in mind if I were to try as a booster would be the Fulltone OCD set with gain off and volume boosted

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
One pedal I have in mind if I were to try as a booster would be the Fulltone OCD set with gain off and volume boosted

I had V4 of the OCD. Hated it cause it was either too little or too much. No sweet spot. However I've been told it works with SC guitars like Strats.

Some really like the OCD and it's various builds. I jus can't relate as it didn't with any of my amps where my other pedals do readily.

J.LaGrassa

Reaction score
I had V4 of the OCD. Hated it cause it was either too little or too much. No sweet spot. However I've been told it works with SC guitars like Strats.

Some really like the OCD and it's various builds. I jus can't relate as it didn't with any of my amps where my other pedals do readily.
Agree v1.4 wasn't my favorite either the latest rev v1.7 is much improvef, still don't see me using a drive pedal with this amp!

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agree v1.4 wasn't my favorite either the latest rev v1.7 is much improvef, still don't see me using a drive pedal with this amp!

Based on your clips straight in is serving you well.

I like to pedal the green side. The red either L1 or L2 I've been going straight in. I go both ways.

rlowe

Reaction score
I really love the Maxon VOP-9 (Vintage Overdrive Pro) with the Green channel, both Clean and Crunch. Best TS-based OD I've ever had and some folks say it even compares favorably to that certain mythical pedal...
I think you are referring to the mythical Klon centaur pedal. The original designer, or team member developed the Archer pedal which is supposed to be the most accurate circuit representation of the original Klon. Have this pedal and it is more transparent, and tone range from deep to high treble.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm finding I want more saturation too now. Also miss the mid texture I had before.

Still has been a fun experiment but I'm finding I prefer what I had.

I did boost it and it sounded great but switching the pedal off really showed how it was lacking and I'm playing with plenty of power tube mixed in to get a full tone. I don't do high gain either. Just made it sound and feel a bit limp.

Angus Rhoads

Reaction score
I think you are referring to the mythical Klon centaur pedal. The original designer, or team member developed the Archer pedal which is supposed to be the most accurate circuit representation of the original Klon. Have this pedal and it is more transparent, and tone range from deep to high treble.
Haven't tried the Archer yet but I've read great reviews. Do you have the silver or gold version?

The Maxon is not completely transparent and still has that tubescreamer mid-boost which I actually do like (also tightens up the bottom end). For clean boost I have an Xotic EP Booster but I'm not crazy about it with the DSL, tends to make things a little boomy in the bass.

rlowe

Reaction score
Haven't tried the Archer yet but I've read great reviews. Do you have the silver or gold version?

The Maxon is not completely transparent and still has that tubescreamer mid-boost which I actually do like (also tightens up the bottom end). For clean boost I have an Xotic EP Booster but I'm not crazy about it with the DSL, tends to make things a little boomy in the bass.
I have the Silver, as the gold is deeper more compressed I believe. I also have a Ts9 Ibanez on board this pedal adds good unique, old type texture to the tone.

MarshallDog

Reaction score
That was one crappy sounding demo but the Vintage 30 hands down over the 70/80. The brittleness of that speaker definitely shows up in that demo

Wow, my preference has been confirmed...the 70/80 sounds like a-s compared to the V 30 and I dont even care for V 30s...too much breakup not clear at all!!! Im a Greenback Creamback speaker guy!!!!

Last edited:

rlowe

Reaction score
A few years ago I tried the Fulltone OCD (not sure which version) at guitar center (I don't deal too much with GC nowadays, S&H/taxes), using the DSL40c and a wall hung Gibson LP studio. It was a shoot out between the Ibanez Ts9, and the OCD. The Ts9 won hands down (preference), the OCD was just too dark at any setting.

ken361

Reaction score
Tried a mini TS when I had a strat it colored the sound, took it back. Mini TC boost, too much volume and not enough gain, MXR compressor gave the strat more gain for sure and didnt color much at all.

I had a T-Rex Crunchy frog was very good when I had a Les Paul it was a OD on one side and a clean boost on the other side. Should of kept it! I was able add a slight boost to the red channel and still sounded natural. Soul Food can be transparent but havent tried it with a Marshall yet. These were 37.00 when it came out:) EP sounded good at the store but loud prb too much bass.

rlowe

Reaction score
I'm finding I want more saturation too now. Also miss the mid texture I had before.

Still has been a fun experiment but I'm finding I prefer what I had.

I did boost it and it sounded great but switching the pedal off really showed how it was lacking and I'm playing with plenty of power tube mixed in to get a full tone. I don't do high gain either. Just made it sound and feel a bit limp.
If more Saturation is what your after a certain compressor (dealers pick) can beef up the tone very well.

rlowe

Reaction score

Your new, and Welcome to the forum!