The Official Marshall DSL40c Information Thread

• Thread starter Micky
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ken361

Reaction score
IMG_0276.JPG

Loved this EF86 tube pedal! I bought it for a HW AC15 Vox but it squealed with that circuit. I did have a marshall class 5 at the time it gave it more balls and gain and low end without any coloration like a TS pedal. Increased the dynamics some and clarity but made it sound natural not fake lol! Fryette said they are supposed to make them again will see.

rlowe

Reaction score
You know what else sounds surprisingly good through green Clean is the Marshall Jackhammer in OD mode, very JCM800.
I did like the sound of those Marshall pedals when reviewed, and they do look snazzy! Anyway's I almost have too many drives too choose from.

Angus Rhoads

Reaction score
I did like the sound of those Marshall pedals when reviewed, and they do look snazzy! Anyway's I almost have too many drives too choose from.
You can never have too many pedals LOL!
Jackhammers pop up used on GC's website fairly often for pretty cheap, and they're built like a tank.

rlowe

Reaction score
You can never have too many pedals LOL!
Jackhammers pop up used on GC's website fairly often for pretty cheap, and they're built like a tank.
Yea, I might get one of those sometime down the road (decent sound, killer looks). Lotta pedals including OD's, or distortion to choose from in the Wide world of (sports) I mean pedals. I'm not necessarily promoting hard core metal, but if you do and as a harder alternative the MXR full bore metal can fill in nicely for certain parts. The pedal is as the name imply's: Full Bore

Last edited:

nikola

Reaction score
I have been using a ECC823 in v2 and I'm liking it.

Makes the red channel quite usable.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you tried an ECC832 (12DW7)? Tamed too much gain for me, but if you want to mellow out the Red channel you might like it.

I'm just experimenting. I'm not trying to tame the red side. I've had the amp 3 years and got it pretty dialed in for my needs but its always fun trying others set ups for me as far as tubes go.

I'm open to trying lower gain tubes. These are off the norm that I usually use.

Angus Rhoads

Reaction score
I'm just experimenting. I'm not trying to tame the red side. I've had the amp 3 years and got it pretty dialed in for my needs but its always fun trying others set ups for me as far as tubes go.

Ssme here. I like to tinker just for kicks but I always seem to come back to my core sound. It's funny man, I have all these amps with multiple channels & modes but I always end up finding one favorite setting on each of them and then hardly use the other channels.

rlowe

Reaction score

I tried a set of Dougs tubes preamp that he recommends and sells on his site a few years ago. I noticed that the tone was richer, and harmonically more complex. You can also get these in high gain etc. Link: http://www.dougstubes.com/guitar-amp-tube-kits/preamp-tone-kits/preamp-tonekit-12ax7-4.html I also tried Euro tubes JJ's a while back ECC83S (12ax7) and these ran a close second. I still have 2 of my original tin plate preamp tubes that came with the dsl40c now in my dsl5c. Tried the Marshall warranty replacements? good luck!

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Doug's is where I get a lot of my tubes.

I can see that kit doing the job though. I'm familiar with them each of them. Have used at one time or another.

Thanks for letting me know about it. I dig finding outabout this stuff. Sometimes I've been there and other times learn new stuff to try.

J.LaGrassa

Reaction score
A few years ago I tried the Fulltone OCD (not sure which version) at guitar center (I don't deal too much with GC nowadays, S&H/taxes), using the DSL40c and a wall hung Gibson LP studio. It was a shoot out between the Ibanez Ts9, and the OCD. The Ts9 won hands down (preference), the OCD was just too dark at any setting.

I've tried tube screamers over the years I just dont like them!