The Official Marshall DSL40c Information Thread

• Thread starter Micky
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

rlowe

Reaction score
during the recording
When I got back to playing a few years ago, I used that Mustang amp being impressive at first, but became harsh and too synthetic after awhile. I liked maybe one, or two channels then said no more for me. Maybe Dsp somewhere down the road, but today Tube is king!

H_Danger

Reaction score
I just noticed the other day that plexi pedal in a demo, how you like it?

Its a bit "thin" at lower volumes but I like it. I got it to use it on an old Marshall Vavlestate AVT20 combo that I had and it was good. It sounds even better on the DSL through the Creamback but you have to crank the volume a bit to hear it roar.

Bownse

Reaction score
Thanks again, guys. Been playing and practicing instead of nob twiddling. On the recent posts about tone shaping, I got motivated and switched around some settings on my D5L40c (that goes to 11).

Moved everything around to:

4,3,7,2,5,6,8,3,6,11,11 (adjust your dials as needed if using plebian number systems. ;) )

Great results!

Last edited:

MarshallDog

Reaction score
I'm hearing some pluses and minuses with the 12AY7 in V2.

I put a nice German 12AX7 in V 2 this morn. Gonna demo and see what it offers over the 12AY7.

I personally dont like a 12ay7 in any slots, just kills the volume and changes the ton and feel too much. I do like the Mullard EL34s combined with the EH 12ax7s in this amp. Makes her sound more juicy and I keep the gain on channel 2 about 2 on the dial. Give it a try if you have these tubes lying around. I bias at 2 mAs below hot also.

wolfpack

Reaction score
Just played mine through a Bogner closed back 2x12.
Wow, massive difference in feel & tone.
The combo sounds like a small old AM radio in comparison.
I'm converting to a head shell & will probably give away or toss the combo shell.

BanditPanda

Reaction score
Is there a difference in feel & tone between 1 x12 and 2 x 12 cabinets? Yes
Is there a difference in feel & tone between closed back and open back cabs ? Yes.
Is there a difference in feel & tone between playing thru a combo and a head / cab? Yes.
Has any fully functional DSL40C properly EQ'd sounded like a small , old am radio?
No. Nevah !!
BP.
p.s. Wolfie, will ya give me the shell please ?

Bownse

Reaction score
I have one, too. OEM 1x12 DSL40C cabinet. I sure as hell ain't paying shipping though. That's a weighty proposition. ;)

BanditPanda

Reaction score
I have one, too. OEM 1x12 DSL40C cabinet. I sure as hell ain't paying shipping though. That's a weighty proposition. ;)
From Ceti Alpha 5 that would cost a fortune plus I'd be long gone by the time it got here!!

wolfpack

Reaction score
Is there a difference in feel & tone between 1 x12 and 2 x 12 cabinets? Yes
Is there a difference in feel & tone between closed back and open back cabs ? Yes.
Is there a difference in feel & tone between playing thru a combo and a head / cab? Yes.
Has any fully functional DSL40C properly EQ'd sounded like a small , old am radio?
No. Nevah !!
BP.
p.s. Wolfie, will ya give me the shell please ?

I've been a 4x12 & head player for 35 years, so
Fully functional DSL40 ? Yes
Properly EQ'd ? Yes
Sounds like an old AM radio in comparison ? Yes

I'm in CA, you come pick it up, it's your's

Last edited:

BanditPanda

Reaction score
Well Wolfie, each to their own I guess however I can tell you without a doubt there is not a DSL40C owner on this forum that will say that amp sounds like a small old AM radio.!
Well at least you're keeping the DSL40 head so you or it can't be all bad.
You're in CA? I'll start driving tonight and be there by Sunday.
Wait..it doesn't have that Proposition 65 sticker on it does it?
BP

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
It don't matter if it's birch or MDF more speaker will sound awesome. I've plugged mine into my 5153 412 with G12M's and it sounded killer.

However this 112 gets full and loud for a 112 and I've got better cabs. My only complaint is the MDF is heavy.

BanditPanda

Reaction score
Come get your free MDF dumpster baby

Actually, if I remember correctly ( as told by a member of this forum ), the DSL40C cab is made with HDF ( High Density ) not MDF (Medium Density) Fiberboard.
I believe consensus is that cabinet material can account for up to 25% of tonal quality and although not insignificant I'm thinking that it is not enough ( in terms of HDF vs Baltic Birch loaded with 2 x 12 V30's to turn a really good sounding amp such as the DSL 40C into a small, old, a.m. radio sounding amp.
There is No Doubt that the above 2 x12 BBB cabinet will definitely enhance the tone of a stock DSL40C.
In any event Wolfie you're just trolling at this point so....lets move on.
BP

Last edited:

wolfpack

Reaction score
I'm kickin this shitbox out of my car like Pacinos TV in Heat