• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

The Official Marshall Dsl40cr Information Thread

• Thread starter Bownse
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Drouhard

Reaction score
After owning the DSL40CR for awhile I decided to check the bias on the tubes, out of curiosity. One was around 40mV and the other 38mV. I adjusted both to 35mV. I dunno, maybe it's a placebo effect but it just seems to have a little more clarity. Is this possible? Not really versed well in tubes and biasing. Could be all in my mind. In any event, it was a learning experience and successful.
Do you run your dsl40cr with the Master volumes wide open? On mine, I found that is how I get clarity out of mine

mwaley

Reaction score
So, I'm baffled here. Why do these great DSL40CR threads die on the vine like they do? 13 great pages then the last post was May 29, 2021.

I just don't get it.

tincbtrar

Reaction score
When I had the DSL40CR it sounded better with the master at around 7, IIRC. That is when the power amp was engaged. Anything more than that just added noise - but the gain/volume/eq all worked better as a result. In theory I should have used an attenuator, I might have kept the amp.

Even the stock speaker was pretty good (the V-Type). I think a Marshall vintage speaker (not the V30) would be a good match too. When I think of the DSL, I think of Jubilee/900 but with more scooped mids (I would keep those pretty high at all times, at least 7 instead of 5). Tube wise, anything low noise in v1,v2 was ideal with the chinese driver tubes in v3,v4. Really great amp, but I sold mine and the Origin at the height of gear madness and got quite a bit back.

Cooltouch

Reaction score
Okay, here's a totally nontechnical post, and one that I think most everyone here can get into.

I just bought a DSL40CR a couple weeks ago, and I haven't had a whole lot of time to spend with it. I've just done the obvious -- checked out the clean channel, and then overdrove the amp and tried it out that way. But what I'm after are more basic, sort of pure Marshall sounds. I think of a Les Paul through a Marshall and I can hear the guitar's wood. I think of a Strat through a Marshall and I hear Hendrix and that Super-Strat neck pickup sound.

I'm part of the way there, especially with my Strat. I'm getting to where I can coax some nice sounds out of the amp, but I would like more. Far as my Paul is concerned, I'm not even close to getting the wood sound.

So, assuming these settings are even possible with the DSL, are there any you'd care to share? TIA.

thesunship

Reaction score
Reviving this thread. I have a stagecraft head conversation of the dsl40cr. I didn't convert it myself. I'd like to get another as a backup. Does anyone know how difficult it is to convert a combo into the stagecraft shell? Is it IKEA- like easy? I can get a combo for around 400 used and the shell for 300. Not ideal price compared to a100hr, but still much lighter and less tubes to change. Thanks 🙏

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
Can't a 40CR combo just be 'cut 'n' shut' to take out the speaker section.
Might need a bit of re-tolexing though.

Otherwise, a purpose built headshell should only require the chassis to be unplugged from the speaker, unbolted from the combo, slid into the headshell, and re-bolted in.

I imagine. :hmm:

They look a bit odd though.

dsl40cr-plexi-frontjpg-600x362.jpg

thesunship

Reaction score
Can't a 40CR combo just be 'cut 'n' shut' to take out the speaker section.
Might need a bit of re-tolexing though.

Otherwise, a purpose built headshell should only require the chassis to be unplugged from the speaker, unbolted from the combo, slid into the headshell, and re-bolted in.

I imagine. :hmm:

They look a bit odd though.

View attachment 140291
Thanks yeah I contacted them, it seems idiot proof. It looks fine to me, and it's only 37lbs when converted, so to me that's perfect.

Last edited:

ramparts

Reaction score
Does anyone know the Part Number for the On/Off Switch (The red one )?