• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

The Official Marshall Dsl40cr Information Thread

• Thread starter Bownse
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Roag Jones

Reaction score
0121211534_HDR_435546_SP-9065.jpg
J.LaGrassa,

That's a perfect fit for the DSL40CR!. Looks like the Seismic 1x12 is an oversized cabinet, just like the DSL. Here's my DSL40CR atop my Marshall Clone 2x12 (Avatar Traditional 2x12). The DSL is almost as wide as the 2x12!!!!View attachment 85083

On my mg cab, I love that pos(added 2 vin30, 2 creamback75)

J.LaGrassa

Reaction score
Got a new toy today, Epiphone 50s Les Paul Standard Gold Top. The Epiphone is surprisingly good with a nice chunky neck... it sounds great with the Marshall,

full

Last edited:

J.LaGrassa

Reaction score
bought some new preamp tubes to try, got a couple of JJ ECC83MG to use in V1 and V2 and replaced the Chinese tubes in V3 & V4 with JJ ECC83S, kind of subtle but my initial responce was it sounds clearer and a touch more open. I'm pretty much using just OD1 with the gain between 10-12:00 thats plenty for me these days. But glad I got the ECC83MGs they sound sweet in the DSL40CR.

J.LaGrassa

Reaction score
Not really an Issue but every once in a while I dont have Reverb, if I shut the amp off and turn it back on its back. Anyone else have this happen? I havent pulled the chassis yet Im thinking maybe a loose connector.

Max Gahne

Reaction score
Not really an Issue but every once in a while I dont have Reverb, if I shut the amp off and turn it back on its back. Anyone else have this happen? I havent pulled the chassis yet Im thinking maybe a loose connector.

Just by chance, when this happens have you unplugged the guitar cable from the input jack when it was on? That's the only time I've had my reverb dissappear on my DSL1 - different amp but similar if not the same DFX unit. And turning it off and on brought the reverb back same as for you.

J.LaGrassa

Reaction score
Just by chance, when this happens have you unplugged the guitar cable from the input jack when it was on? That's the only time I've had my reverb dissappear on my DSL1 - different amp but similar if not the same DFX unit. And turning it off and on brought the reverb back same as for you.
no the cable was in place, i did pull the chassis and checked all connections and they were all fine as well as the Digital board. I do use the 6 Button ft switch, it hasn't happened a lot but it does bother me a little.

Max Gahne

Reaction score
no the cable was in place, i did pull the chassis and checked all connections and they were all fine as well as the Digital board. I do use the 6 Button ft switch, it hasn't happened a lot but it does bother me a little.

I don't think there's anything wrong with my amp but rather a quirk in the design. I don't know but I suspect the DFX IC has the capability to turn the reverb on and off like the JVM's IC can, but that they didn't provide footswitch capability to use that function in the DSL. I think the DSL DFX IC can pick up a voltage ripple from somewhere, in my case from when the input jack ground switch closed when I removed the plug, and interpreted that as the signal to turn the reverb off. The default setting must be on which is why it came back on after turning it on and off. That's just my theory based on speculation. Mine hasn't dissappeared again since I've been careful not to unplug the input jack when it's on.

J.LaGrassa

Reaction score
I don't think there's anything wrong with my amp but rather a quirk in the design. I don't know but I suspect the DFX IC has the capability to turn the reverb on and off like the JVM's IC can, but that they didn't provide footswitch capability to use that function in the DSL. I think the DSL DFX IC can pick up a voltage ripple from somewhere, in my case from when the input jack ground switch closed when I removed the plug, and interpreted that as the signal to turn the reverb off. The default setting must be on which is why it came back on after turning it on and off. That's just my theory based on speculation. Mine hasn't dissappeared again since I've been careful not to unplug the input jack when it's on.
That sounds logical

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
Were both reverbs turned up?
Another switching error could be switching reverb, but not channel, to a reverb that is turned down.
Never heard of this but maybe a possibility.
I never use the onboard 40CR verbs so wouldn't notice reverb errors.

Bownse

Reaction score

Tom Drouhard

Reaction score
Just wanted to say that I got my dsl40cr vintage model with the rectangular Marshall faceplate today. I played my Squier Telecaster custom with dual humbuckers and my Les Paul tribute and my Charvel San Dimas with Seymour Duncan JB and 59 pickups through it and had fun twiddling the knobs to find the different sounds. This is my first Marshall amp and I like what I've been hearing even though the speaker's not broken in yet.

Tom Drouhard

Reaction score
Part 2: It definitely had more grunt, push, and kerrang and the magic that Marshalls and el34 tubes produce when I had the Masters all the way up. I wasn't able to crank it as loud as I wanted to because I live in an apartment, but had it loud enough to enjoy some power tube kick.
I tested the bias points after I had played through it for about 3 hours and they were pretty close, one tube at 35.0 and the other at 35.8 After adjusting, I settled on 35 .3

Tom Drouhard

Reaction score
I hope this amp holds up as I'm going to enjoy it even more after the tubes and the speaker have had a chance to get a good 20 to 30 hour workout.
Does anybody know which model j j el34 tubes the dsl40cr amps come with? There is a JJ stamp on the base and red Marshall stencil on each tube.
30 years ago I owned a 4 x 10 Music Man 130. It has a switch for low and high power. The tech that worked on it told me the low power was 45 Watts and the high power was 130 Watts. I liked the 45 watt setting the best as far as Distortion and compression from the amp. It had a Chinese Groove Tube 12ax7 in the phase inverter and he installed Groove Tube Russian el34R tubes. They had a cool compression to them.