• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

The Official Marshall Dsl40cr Information Thread

• Thread starter Bownse
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
This may be a silly question but my eyes are getting old, does anybody know what identification is on a DSL40CR that shows that it is actually a CR? The only thing I can find is a white bar code sticker on the side of the shipping box that it came in, it says DSL40CR-U. The front face plate on the amp just says DSL 40.
The definitive at-a-glance identification is the location of the model number on the faceplate.
If 'DSL40' is to the left of the Power Switches it's C.
If 'DSL40' is under the Power Switches it's a CR.

Apart from that, look for the 2 Master Volumes on the CR.

Marshall aren't too specific with how they have labelled them, which has caused some ID issues in some threads.

Last edited:

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
This may be a silly question but my eyes are getting old, does anybody know what identification is on a DSL40CR that shows that it is actually a CR? The only thing I can find is a white bar code sticker on the side of the shipping box that it came in, it says DSL40CR-U. The front face plate on the amp just says DSL 40.
I'd imagine @SkyMonkey is correct, he owns one. The way I tell the difference, especially when looking at pics, is the number of knobs on the front panel. The 40c has 11 and the 40cr has 13.

Bownse

Reaction score
The definitive at-a-glance identification is the location of the model number on the faceplate.

Marshall aren't too specific with how they have labelled them, which has caused some ID issues in some threads.

My C has the DSL40C to the left of the power/standby switches (between them and the Ultra knob).

7e94138d-cb7c-5742-8e2b-37167401bf71__20864.1560277080.jpg

Last edited:

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

Bingo!!!

Thanks @SkyMonkey, I never noticed that! You know when you look at something a million times but you don’t see everything?

That’s me, I never noticed the placement difference of the moniker between the two! It’s right in front of me all the time and I’m counting knobs!! :lol:

JoeRockHead

Reaction score

Thank you!

Reaction score
After owning the DSL40CR for awhile I decided to check the bias on the tubes, out of curiosity. One was around 40mV and the other 38mV. I adjusted both to 35mV. I dunno, maybe it's a placebo effect but it just seems to have a little more clarity. Is this possible? Not really versed well in tubes and biasing. Could be all in my mind. In any event, it was a learning experience and successful.

tygr1

Reaction score
Hey Kids. New here. Picked up a very nice used 40CR just yesterday. Sounded a bit fizzy to me, just like the 40C I had before. Threw in the G12T-100 from my old DSL401 and cured the fizzies. Replaced V-1 and 2 with UOS GE 12AX7s. Now I've got a sweet, useable amp again! This CR model rocks!

Where do you find the serial number on these things?

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
Hello @tygr1 and welcome to the MF :welcome:

I had the DSL401 too a while back.
I decided to pair it with a 1912 cab, so I pulled out the 8 ohm G12B-150 and put in a 16 ohm G12T-100 to match the 401.
Great speaker. I now have a VS65R running two G12T-100s, one in the combo and one still in the 1912.

The serial number on a DSL40CR is on the bar-code sticker, next to the speaker jacks.

5stringsdown

Reaction score
:jam:Hello all!
I am new to this forum but before covid I was gigging and recording constantly with my cr and I wanted to post a couple things that work well for me as far as the dsl40cr goes.
My last Marshall was a JCM900 and I just put an SV20H on layaway so I am looking forward to that very much!
I personally prefer the dsl to the jcm900.......for the simple reason it just sounds better overall imho.
I did a lot of gigging and recording with the 900 and it was a great amp, but I prefer the dsl....again just my humble opinion.

For me, these three things work especially well with the dsl40cr.....

1) Scumback H-75
I know this may not be the first speaker you think of to pair with this amp (My first thought was an M type speaker) but it sounds phenomenal. The high end is so open without ever being harsh......it’s great.
I had to dial back my delay and verb setttings because the high end is so clear!
The low end is there without being muddy.......I never get along well with guitar speakers that have a pronounced low mid hump.....they always sound muddy to me.
It has great crunch, breaks up nicely and the touch sensitivity is probably the best I have experienced. Very hi fi sounding in a good way.
Worth checking out if you are considering a speaker swap and I also really like the V Type, it’s an excellent speaker, one of my favorites, but the Scumback just did it for me.

2) Clinch FX EP Booster
This pedal complements the dsl really nicely.......it fattens the signal when driven and just sweetens the overall tone in a very organic, non obtrusive way.
It’s not the kind of boost you use to get more volume like an SHO or a TC Spark it’s basically an always on tone/gain enhancer and I find myself using it constantly, especially when recording.

3) Barber Gain Changer v3 and Barber Direct Drive v3
I mostly prefer this amp without an overdrive, that having been said both of these pedals work great with it. They also work great for late night practicing when you want more gain but less volume.
The Gain Changer has more of a Plexi edge to it and the Direct Drive is a bit fatter in the mids with more gain on tap.....the Direct Drive will sing when cranked. I have tried many overdrive pedals but these have become my “go to” drives while the others sit in the closet.........
The tone controls are very useable and musical and these two don’t mush out when you get into crunch territory, very authentic tone all around.

I play mostly blues and blues rock style stuff and this signal chain is my favorite (so far).
I’m very much looking forward to getting the SV20 (and getting a Scumback....maybe an “m” or “j” type) but I doubt it will replace my dsl......awesome amp.

I will try and post some clips over the weekend.
Thanks for reading!

J.LaGrassa

Reaction score
Hi Guys its been a while, use to have a DSL40C and always liked it but went and tried some other gear for a bit. Well i'm back in the DSL club I just picked up a brand new DSL40CR and so far so good I really missed playing Marshall this amp sounds amazing with with my Tele, I tried a Origin 50C as well but that amp is not really what I like. Anyway I've got an amp to break in and will check back later!!

full

Last edited:

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys its been a while, use to have a DSL40C and always liked it but went and tried some other gear for a bit. Well i'm back in the DSL club I just picked up a brand new DSL40CR and so far so good I really missed playing Marshall this amp sounds amazing with with my Tele, I tried a Origin 50C as well but that amp is not really what I like. Anyway I've got an amp to break in and will check back later!!

full
Congratulations on your new amp !
Mitch

J.LaGrassa

Reaction score
I took me forever to find the 5 button foot switch when I got mine in mid 2019. Everyone should have one. Especially going between the Master 1 and 2 volume controls.

Should have mine on Saturday, I think this will help me keep the clutter off the floor. Im only going to use a Boss dd3 delay in the loop so I can just leave it on top of the amp and just have the Ft Switch on the floor.

Bownse

Reaction score
Went to SW yesterday and ordered the 5-switch pedal. The 6 (they claim) doesn't work with the C (mine's before the CR replaced it). I like that it keeps me from heading to the amp for the extra controls. It's really wide though, so my pedal board will have to be rearranged.

Anyone have an LED mod for the shell so we can tell which is on and which off?