• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

The Official Marshall Dsl40cr Information Thread

• Thread starter Bownse
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

calzone

Reaction score
I got my 5751 and 12AT7 preamp tubes few hours ago... and just finished playing :)
1. 5751 into V1 - not much difference in gain, bearly noticeable.
2. 12AT7 into V1 - more difference in gain but not what I was after. I liked the tone anyway.
3. 12AT7 into V1 and 5751 into V2 - there it is!

Now I can actually use gain knob after noon position and have more control on breakup. The green clean channel started to sound clean as it was crunchy with louder sounds. This setup works for me.

I'll consider modding V1B cathode resitor and bypass capacitor to get rid of lowest frequencies in highest gain settings (red ultra channel) as the mud is still there.

Ross MacGregor

Reaction score
I have the 40CR and the 91016 too.
If you cannot find the 6-button footswitch, I can recommend finding a 2nd hand Boss GT multi effect and hooking the 40CR up in MIDI 4CM.
A Boss GT-8 should be available for less than a new 91016 (especially at import prices).
The GT-8 will switch channels in much the same way, and you can set up user patches specifically tailored to the voices of each channel.
The numbered buttons on the GT-8 will correspond to the channels:
1: Classic Clean
2: Classic Crunch
3: Ultra OD1
4: Ultra OD2

I have my 40CR set up with a GT-100 in 5CM (second amp slaved) and MIDI control.
If you find a 91016 in the future, it will function alongside a MIDI controller (the 2-button doesn't).

View attachment 75011

Thanks for that.

It looks like it might be hard to source a GT-8 at a reasonable price here in Australia from a quick google, but I'll keep looking. Very much appreciate the info!

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
It looks like it might be hard to source a GT-8 at a reasonable price here in Australia from a quick google, but I'll keep looking. Very much appreciate the info!
No problem. Works for me.
If you get the GT-8 or GT-10 then you can edit the patches in a PC app called an FX Floorboard via USB.
https://sourceforge.net/projects/fxfloorboard/files/
They work pretty much like the Boss Tone Studio app that edits the GT-100 & GT-1000.
There is also a feature in the GTs from GT-8 onward where you can set upto 8 'Assign Variables' to a patch (GT-8 manual p.53).
These Assign Variables can be simultaneously triggered by the CTL footswitch (onboard or external).
So you could switch off delay, switch on chorus, switch on phaser, change solo boost level, etc. with one CTL press.
Also the MIDI switching repeats with each Bank change, i.e. 1 is still Classic Clean and 3 is still Ultra OD1 with any Bank set of patches.
If you are programing your own User patches in 4CM, don't forget to switch the GT Loop ON and set to Normal (i.e. series) (p.50).

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
Last edited:

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
Last edited:

Ross MacGregor

Reaction score
It is looking increasingly like the PEDL-91016 might be discontinued already!
The Marshall website has removed them from their Footswitch page.
Not sure why this should be.
https://marshall.com/marshall-amps/products/footswitches
Andertons UK say they have 10+ in stock though.
https://www.andertons.co.uk/marshal...qgaiGorPVAf-onOpem_inwxnDz9IETkxoCqKgQAvD_BwE

I was just reading that and also noticed Andertons with 10+ in stock. Here in Australia? Impossible to find. Not even one available :( Why would they discontinue a pedal for an amp they are still selling? Makes no sense.

Actually, I'm just going to order one from Andertons and be done with it. It's not that much more expensive than if I were to buy it here (were it available). Just the extra postage to pay is all.

Last edited:

jwoods986

Reaction score
So on Sweetwater the 91016 pedal says more on the way, we'll see.

There is also a cover for this amp (COVR-00116), but it is $80! What are some other (i.e. cheaper) options that fit and you guys are using?

Martin Adams

Reaction score
The cover sells for about £25 in the U.K.

I just got one for mine

it’s interesting seeing Marshall prices high out of the U.K. a bit like the outrageous Mesa Boogie prices we see here !!! ( UK )

JoeRockHead

Reaction score
This may be a silly question but my eyes are getting old, does anybody know what identification is on a DSL40CR that shows that it is actually a CR? The only thing I can find is a white bar code sticker on the side of the shipping box that it came in, it says DSL40CR-U. The front face plate on the amp just says DSL 40.

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
This may be a silly question but my eyes are getting old, does anybody know what identification is on a DSL40CR that shows that it is actually a CR? The only thing I can find is a white bar code sticker on the side of the shipping box that it came in, it says DSL40CR-U. The front face plate on the amp just says DSL 40.
I don’t have your amp, but I do trust Micky’s advice.
Welcome to the forum.
Cheers
Mitch