• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

The Official Marshall Dsl40cr Information Thread

• Thread starter Bownse
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
Beautiful and beasty! I'm guessing you use them for a stereo configuration? What exactly are those 4x12? So you can plug them and use both the amp speaker and the cabinet together?
The 4-12 cabs are MG cabs, I have loaded a couple of them with better speakers, but I have a long way to go, the cabs are 8 ohm, and the combo is a 16 ohm, so I have been running the mismatch of 5. ?? Through them for 3 years now but never ran really hard.
So far so good.
Cheers
Mitch

Bownse

Reaction score
Wouldn't that make the 40CR 50W or the 100HR 80W?

Is there some "overhead" in the circuits? Something where a doubling of potential means only about an 80% increase in output? I know it happens in some digital applications.

Randy Rhoads

Reaction score
Alright, I've got a Gibson Les Paul loaded with a classic 57 and a super 57 and a dsl40cr. With just those two, can i get a decent Appetite for Destruction tone? I do have a tubescreamer and other various overdrives, but i'd like to be able to just use guitar and amp. i like the idea of being able to roll off the volume on my guitar to around 8 for rhythm tones and then roll up for leads, but i just dont know how to set up my amp to do this properly. Should i also look into biasing the amp to be a hotter than standard?

Bownse

Reaction score
Hotter Bias = Shorter tube life.

Approach with caution. I don't know if you can distort that much right out of the amp. It does a pretty good job though. Start cranking up the gain until it's too much, then back off.

You might be able to set up channel 1 and channel 2 to be your different tones between rythm and lead.

Randy Rhoads

Reaction score
T
Hotter Bias = Shorter tube life.

Approach with caution. I don't know if you can distort that much right out of the amp. It does a pretty good job though. Start cranking up the gain until it's too much, then back off.

You might be able to set up channel 1 and channel 2 to be your different tones between rythm and lead.
Channel 1 doesn't have anywhere near enough gain to pull off hard rock or heavy metal. If you crank everything on channel 1, the most you can get is like led Zeppelin with a little less gain. I find it odd that it's called the "Crunch" channel...is my amp okay?

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
T

Channel 1 doesn't have anywhere near enough gain to pull off hard rock or heavy metal. If you crank everything on channel 1, the most you can get is like led Zeppelin with a little less gain. I find it odd that it's called the "Crunch" channel...is my amp okay?
My older C’s are like that on the crunch channel, but that is where the tube screamer, or OD pedal of your choice would make it happen, experimenting is the best way to find what your amp can and can’t do.
Welcome to the forum.
Cheers
Mitch

Bownse

Reaction score
Good point. Based on recommendations here, I went with a tube-based overdrive. The Fryette SAS gives the amp a distortion that sounds very much like the analog overdrive you'd expect from a tube amp.

Rick Ramirez

Reaction score
Alright, I've got a Gibson Les Paul loaded with a classic 57 and a super 57 and a dsl40cr. With just those two, can i get a decent Appetite for Destruction tone? I do have a tubescreamer and other various overdrives, but i'd like to be able to just use guitar and amp. i like the idea of being able to roll off the volume on my guitar to around 8 for rhythm tones and then roll up for leads, but i just dont know how to set up my amp to do this properly. Should i also look into biasing the amp to be a hotter than standard?

Not sure you can get that tone with this amp and not use a pedal to help. The best you can do is use the red channel on Ultra Lead with gain around 4. When we cover Sweet Child of Mine, I use the green channel on Ultra with gain at 4 and add an OCD to increase gain and give it more of a JCM 800 tone. If you have an OCD, or similar pedal, give that a shot.

jwoods986

Reaction score
Footswitch question. The 2-button one that comes with the amp is for Channel and FX loop (which I don't use). The 2-button switch for the Blackstar HT Club 40 does Channel and Voice, which makes much more sense (for me). I have the Blackstar footswitch (long story -lol), could I use it with the DSL40? I know I could just try it and see what, if anything, that it does, but is there any risk of damage to my amp? And let's say it does what I want it to, any risk of damage long-term?

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
To get the full switching options (but not reverb, it can't switch that) you need the 6-button PEDL-91016.

BTW If you want to space-save on a pedalboard, I tried a 1-button footswitch (Tip Sleeve) with my 40CR and it changed the channel.
Either that or use a Boss FS-7 in latching mode, with a TRS (Tip Ring Sleeve) cable in the B socket (also tested).

Last edited:

jwoods986

Reaction score
To get the full switching options (but not reverb, it can't switch that) you need the 6-button PEDL-91016.

BTW If you want to space-save on a pedalboard, I tried a 1-button footswitch (Tip Sleeve) with my 40CR and it changed the channel.
Either that or use a Boss FS-7 in latching mode, with a TRS (Tip Ring Sleeve) cable in the B socket (also tested).

Thanks for info! Oh, I'm well aware of the 6-button f/s, just trying to avoid the $150 it costs -lol.

BTW - I see in your sig that you have the JHS little black amp box. I got one last week (along with a DOD Carcosa fuzz) and just tried it the other day for the first time, it works pretty well from what I could tell so far (I actually have a jam this Sunday with drums and bass, and will compare with and without). What do you think of it?