• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

The Official Marshall Dsl40cr Information Thread

• Thread starter Bownse
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mwaley

Reaction score
Hi Mark.
I am currently running my 40CR with a 1912 1x12" cab (closed back). I used to run it with my old DSL401 stacked on top and the amp overhung a bit either side of the cab. I changed out the original G12B-150 8 ohm for a G12T-100 16 ohm (the same speaker that came stock in my 401). I have limited experience with changing speakers and didn't really run the G12B to get a sense of it.
Now I've got a DSL40CR I tried to stack it the same but the overhang is now ridiculous and looks too unstable. So I have them side by side, raised off the floor on small side tables! The difference with only 1 extra speaker is an appreciable improvement over the combo alone. But as it is such an inelegant solution (tying up extra floor space and furniture) I am thinking of a 2x12" cab to stand the DSL on. The main problem is matching impedances to run 3 speakers. Most 2x12" cabs are 8 ohms in mono and the excellent V-type in the DSL is 16 ohm and have a big switcharoo!
My long term idea is to wait get either a second hand 1936 or an MX212 (a bit deeper, so more stable) and experiment with the 8 ohm G12B-150 in the DSL. I know this speaker comes stock in the JVM215 and it would be interesting to see how it sounds.
If that combination is no good tonewise then save up some more for 2 more V-types, one 8 ohm and one 16 ohm.
Any thoughts?

Well,

This is exactly what I do. I found an English Celestion Vintage 30 in the 8 ohm flavor. I put that into my DSL40cr combo. I put the 16 ohm V-Type from the combo into one of my 2x12 closed back cabinets, paired with a 16 ohm English Vintage 30.

I use the 2x12 cabinet as the base of my setup, it's a horizontal cabinet. (my other 2x12 cabinet is a Vertical Slant, and I have the overhang issue). I place the combo on the 2x12 and rock out with (3) speakers. With both a closed back 2x12 AND it being directly on the floor, the bright sound I get when playing just the combo in the basement without the 2x12 is gone. The sound is so full, rich, big and ballsy!

One thing you always have to remember - and I do it as I'm tearing down after a gig - put the internal speaker jack back into the 8ohm output jack.

Rock On!!!

mwaley

Reaction score
I've got spare tubes in my stash I bought a few for my DSL20C. Just got my tracking number. DSL40CR arriving Friday or Monday yeehaw!

I just popped a matched duet of 6CA7's into my DSL40cr. I haven't has a lot of time to play with them. So... the jury is still out.

These are supposed to be warmer and help tame the high end. So far, they seem to do the trick. They are JJ 6CA7's from Eurotubes.com. Bob and his team are really awesome there.

I also have a JJ ECC83s Gold Pin in the V1 position as well. I tried a 5751 in V1, thought it muzzled the amp a bit. I may try rolling it back in again. We'll see....

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
I just popped a matched duet of 6CA7's into my DSL40cr. I haven't has a lot of time to play with them. So... the jury is still out.

These are supposed to be warmer and help tame the high end. So far, they seem to do the trick. They are JJ 6CA7's from Eurotubes.com. Bob and his team are really awesome there.

I also have a JJ ECC83s Gold Pin in the V1 position as well. I tried a 5751 in V1, thought it muzzled the amp a bit. I may try rolling it back in again. We'll see....
Welcome to the forum
Cheers
Mitch

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yes they will warm it up. The EH 6CA7'S will turn it loose. Gold pin tubes empty your wallet. So do matched triodes on preamp tubes. Guitar amplifiers are not HIFI amps and usually do not require preamp tubes with extra money tweaks. Fucking waste of money.

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
I tried a 5751 in V1, thought it muzzled the amp a bit.
I have heard others like the 5751 to tame the Ultra channels too. I can't use the Ultras past ~6-7 without the gain mushing up.
Some have suggested the 5751 in V2. I'm not sure what difference that makes.
I am interested, but reluctant to try the 5751.
I run Classic crunch gain at 10 to get a nice crunch and still get a good Classic Clean tone.
I want to make the Ultra gain knob useable upto 10, but am worried that the Classic Crunch will change too.

Since that post I changed the V-Type to a G12 Century Vintage neo speaker (V30-ish but with tamed mids).
I have now got a 2nd hand Zilla Compact 112 cab for the DSL to stack with, and put the V-Type in there.
It still overhangs by 10mm each side, but is far more stable.
20200422_170717-1900.jpg

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have heard others like the 5751 to tame the Ultra channels too. I can't use the Ultras past ~6-7 without the gain mushing up.
Some have suggested the 5751 in V2. I'm not sure what difference that makes.
I am interested, but reluctant to try the 5751.
I run Classic crunch gain at 10 to get a nice crunch and still get a good Classic Clean tone.
I want to make the Ultra gain knob useable upto 10, but am worried that the Classic Crunch will change too.

Since that post I changed the V-Type to a G12 Century Vintage neo speaker (V30-ish but with tamed mids).
I have now got a 2nd hand Zilla Compact 112 cab for the DSL to stack with, and put the V-Type in there.
It still overhangs by 10mm each side, but is far more stable.
View attachment 72969

A 5751 is a weak 12AX7. So if you want a less gain preamp tube try it. However Grab that neck. Play. Fucking play.

Last edited:

Razzle1980

Reaction score
hi everyone,

I know this may be a questions that's been asked before. I have the prior DSL40c (not cr). Are there any pedals other than the original footswitch with the channel and reverb switches (PEDL-00009) that are compatible with this amp? I'm looking for ANY alternatives, including a single switch selector or one that allows me to switch the effects loop on and off. TIA

Last edited:

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
I know this may be a questions that's been asked before. I have the prior DSL40c (not cr). Are there any pedals other than the original footswitch with the channel and reverb switches (PEDL-00009) that are compatible with this amp? I'm looking for ANY alternatives, including a single switch selector or one that allows me to switch the effects loop on and off. TIA
As far as I'm aware, the Mk II DSL40C switching is controlled by a programmed chip. There isn't anything that a different pedal can do to make the FX loop switchable.
I have seen you post similar questions on this subject recently.
The best alternative I can think of is to get a multi effect unit that can do the 4 cable method and has amp control.
A 2nd hand Boss GT-8 or GT-10 would do the trick.
Set it up in 4CM with AMP CTL to switch the channels (not modes, nothing can do this on the 40C).
With the GT you can change upto 8 parameters at once with the press of a CTL footswitch.
This would enable you to turn all the effects off at once (I think).
It would also enable you to add OD or distortion to the modes you can switch and get you as close as possible to the mode switching a DSL40CR can do.
Disclaimer* There is a chance that APM CTL will switch the reverb on/off instead of changing channel.
You would have to scour the forums to find the answer to this.
Here is a link to the GT-8 manual: https://www.boss.info/uk/support/by...manuals/66442cbd-dab7-4b67-8035-df6bd4db3d68/

Or trade in the 40C for a 40CR.

Last edited:

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
Just tried my DSL40CR with a momentary single footswitch that I had laying around (TS, not TRS).
It changed channel, not FX loop.
So hopefully AMP CTL would do the same with a DSL40C (as would any single footswitch).

Last edited:

Bownse

Reaction score
hi everyone,

I have the channel/reverb dual switch pedal on mine; along with a bunch of effects pedals in the effects look at in front of that loop.

Mines a C and not a CR (which each has their own threads). This is what I did to mine.

http://fjr-tips.org/misc/amp/DSL40C_Mod/A_Project.html

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

also I like your approach at this amp.

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
I've messed around with 12Ay7's in V1 also as well AT7's. Found some cool tones. Changed the feeling too. In a good way.
I had to just stop at what I got, because it seems to work out well with my ears.
I know the IPhone doesn’t show its tone that well, but I am hearing it.
Cheers