The Official Marshall Origin 20 Thread...

• Thread starter Joe_Easy
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes Mitch I cant wait to get back into the local guitar shop and have a trial play if they have what i want to test run in stock. and I know ill come home with that DSL. On another note I've been catching up on the thread since I last looked in and very interested in and loving the clips Jeffb has shared with us. But id like to add that I actually love the the sounds I'm getting with the low power settings and keeping my Les Paul volume on 10 I vary the amp master and gain to suit the time of day and If the neighbours are home. I now find everything a bit to lively for my skill set when I get the chance to crank everything.
I had been running mine on the mid power setting, and just went back to full, at 3 on the dial I am getting loud enough for all my neighbors to hear. And I don’t feel the tone suffering much, I no longer use the boost function, but I dial the gain up to 8.
I am using the MXR10 band eq to run both heads, with either the SD1 or the Joyo ultimate drive in front of the amp’s . They get down an dirty just as I like to hear them.
Cheers
Mitch

jeffb

Reaction score
Welp.

I've been playing on and off for 7 hours. Got the initial break-in done for the 55hz.

I don't think it will save the Origin, for me- But it damn sure is an improvement, and especially so with the DSL. Really gets green crunch barking like 'Calling Dr. Love" or some other early KISS, like Alive, etc. Very 1975.

jeffb

Reaction score
UPDATE

I owe my Origin an apology. It wasn't the amp's fault for the trouble I've been having. Though I was correct, there was an issue in the signal path.

I started experiencing weird issues with nasty tones with my DSL too over the past few days, and I was damn near ready to throw everything out the window.:wallbash::scream::wtf: Same sort of issues I was having with the Origin- Fizzy, flubby, undefined but extremely bright/trebly tones I was hearing and a weird "feel" in the amps, like the speakers were starting to crap out (but the volume was fine). :(

I then tried my Class5. Same thing. Now I knew something was going on besides the amps....:hmm:

Did mad tube swaps. No changes.:shrug:
Did speaker swaps, no changes, though it was way more pronounced with some speakers.:shrug:
I re-did/touched up my guitar wiring. No changes.:shrug:
Swapped out my pickups- it actually became even worse with some brighter and thumpy A5 pickups. :shrug:
I tried a different guitar cord ( I plug straight in these days), nope, not it.:shrug:

If I had hair (I shave my head) I would have pulled every one of them out, so these little emoji guys are not too far off the real thing :mad::realmad::scream:

And then :idea:

The grinch got a wonderful, awful idea

:facepalm: Fracking speaker cable. I pulled it, and replaced with another that I have when I use my attenuator. :fever: :thumbs::dude:

All amps sounding healthy again- I'm guessing there's a cold solder joint or something else going on internally with the old speaker cable/plug.

Also G12M25 and H3055hz is a better mix than EVHM20 and H3055Hz- not just because of volume issues, the EQ's of each speaker are a better match too.

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow that’s cool you got it figured out.
I had a similar experience.
I rolled tubes and still was getting nothing, on a whim I changed the speaker cable and there it was lol

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score

RCM 800

Reaction score

L Newman

Reaction score
Does it do this with all guitars ??
That’s an odd dilemma, I have never had any thing like that sound.
Sorry I am of no help but it only takes place at the 12’th fret, makes me think it’s the guitar..
Cheers
Thanks. Only have the one guitar. Only on bridge pick up - have dropped it. Won't get another opportunity for a while to crank the amp and record it.

L Newman

Reaction score
Is that delay/reverb on your board or post? Maybe try plugging straight in? I think I hear what youre talking about but might be easier to hear with a dry signal.
Thanks. Delay and reverb from the board. Won't get another opportunity to crank the amp and test it for a while.

acosta

Reaction score
Hoping someone might explain the Tilt knob relative to the two channel plexi. I get that the Tilt knob allows combining both normal and high treble channels. But I don't know that it allows differential gain settings from both channels, as there is only one gain knob. so my question relates to how configure the origin at the settings I use on my SV20. 1 and 10 are easy to figure out. But again, relative to the two channel plexi, does 5 on Tilt therefore mean both channels at 10? and therefore 3 on Tilt is 1/3 N and 2/3 HT? and therefore 7 on Tilt is 1/3 HT and 2/3 N? Thoughts and insights on this would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

RCM 800

Reaction score
Hoping someone might explain the Tilt knob relative to the two channel plexi. I get that the Tilt knob allows combining both normal and high treble channels. But I don't know that it allows differential gain settings from both channels, as there is only one gain knob. so my question relates to how configure the origin at the settings I use on my SV20. 1 and 10 are easy to figure out. But again, relative to the two channel plexi, does 5 on Tilt therefore mean both channels at 10? and therefore 3 on Tilt is 1/3 N and 2/3 HT? and therefore 7 on Tilt is 1/3 HT and 2/3 N? Thoughts and insights on this would be greatly appreciated.

I thought it was MV takes the place of VI and VII and that the tilt was a blend knob. I might be wrong though.

OriginOfTheSpecies

Reaction score
Hoping someone might explain the Tilt knob relative to the two channel plexi.

I'm pretty sure it's more a tone control that "simulates" the effect of blending channels rather than replicating the plexi circuit. The idea is full tilt is like high treble channel and no tilt is normal channel, but I get the impression the Origin is an overall brighter amp. With just the one preamp gain it's something you'd have to approximate by ear (overall listening with ears rather than eyes is best approach with it).

The tilt is very handy for taming the harshness of dirt pedals and compensating for the differences in power modes. I rely on it more than the tone stack for dialling it in.

acosta

Reaction score
OTTS, Thanks for this insight: to understand tilt *as* the HT circuit itself. That is, It blends HT *into* the default Normal channel. Meaning that Tilt at 10 is Normal channel at 0, and Tilt at 9 is Normal at 1, so on. Awesome. thanks a million.

OriginOfTheSpecies

Reaction score
That is, It blends HT *into* the default Normal channel. Meaning that Tilt at 10 is Normal channel at 0, and Tilt at 9 is Normal at 1, so on. Awesome. thanks a million.

Yeah that seems the gist of it. FWIW I rarely have mine up more than half way, and leave presence off or barely on.

Still digging this amp a lot 4 months on. I've noticed they don't come up on local classifieds so either no one's been buying them or most people are happy.
I've had a lot of fun experimenting with pedals and gear, but more often than not I just use the amp straight up.

Some opinions:
The power scaling, even the low/0.5w mode is well done, and sounds/feels better to me than my two notes reactive load attenuator.

It's a bright amp with my G12T75s.
As mentioned above I don't use much if any presence and tilt rarely more than half. It gets a bit brighter on full power mode too, so I use the tilt to compensate. Although with tilt, treble and presence controls it offers a lot of control for the high end, its possible some could find the amp too bright for their personal gear/sound.

Master volume on full isn't a bad starting point for finding good tones. The amp probably could have nearly done without a MV but I could see that scaring off buyers.

You can get the amp to do great high chugga chugga with pedals, but volume get's a but limited if you want to keep it tight (high gain pedals into crunching Origin starts to get a bit messy). May not hold up to a loud band scenario for that context.

I've run a few preamp tubes through after one of the originals were bad, and I really like the JJ ECC803s (longplate vs their regular ecc83) in V1 (with stock chinese tube in v2 and sovtek lps in v3).
Most of the effects of swapping around was pretty subtle but the ecc803s seems to add a nice lower mid growl and less tendency for harshness with gain up.

Last edited:

Mike Cheli

Reaction score
Any call for an official Marshall Origin 20 Thread here? If so, I just created it! If not, I created it anyway...

Recently took delivery of one. Loved it. Replaced all stock tubes with premium Groove Tubes. Loved it even more. :wub:

Any other recommended upgrades, Etc? I was thinking of swapping the stock Celestion for a Greenback, or maybe a Creamback. I have a 12” Creamback I used to swap into previous 12” combos I’ve owned (there’s been a few!) and I always preferred it...no experience with the 10”, though. This is actually the first 10” combo I’ve owned. Actually, that’s a lie...it’s the first 10” I’ve wanted to hang on to; I very briefly owned a Marshall Class 5, but sold it a day later![/QUOTE
Thanks for creating this thread!
I put a 12” Greenback in my 20C.
It really breathes! Anyone have experience with the volume dropping randomly (a lot) while playing? After shutting it down it comes back ok. Still under warranty so that’s good. Any advice would be appreciated!!
Happy 2021 everyone!