The Official Marshall Origin 20 Thread...

• Thread starter Joe_Easy
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a Marshall 50C for a few months. I haven't used it much and in the last few months it has only been at home in one room.

When I recently turned it back on, I noticed that it has a strange humming noise that it didn't do before.

I thought it might be from having it off for months (maybe damp or something), so I left it on without plugging in the guitar for an hour or two or so, but the hum remained the same.

I guess it has to do with the valves.

I put the amp away again and now, a few weeks later, when I have looked at it again, I have noticed that around the power switch there is a stain or perhaps the top gold foil has disintegrated ...View attachment 85115
Welcome to the forum not sure what would do that, mine are the 50H’s, and there is a slight hum when I power up, but my volume is always at zero on power up.
Cheers
Mitch

ST035

Reaction score
I have a question for you Origin users - is it safe to change the power mode while the amp is ON but with master volume and gain down to zero?

The manual says, if I remember correctly that you should change the power mode before powering up the amp, but some Youtuber testers have done it with their volume still up and nothing happened apart from an audible "pop" sound... what would you recommend me do?

steveb63

Reaction score
I have a question for you Origin users - is it safe to change the power mode while the amp is ON but with master volume and gain down to zero?

The manual says, if I remember correctly that you should change the power mode before powering up the amp, but some Youtuber testers have done it with their volume still up and nothing happened apart from an audible "pop" sound... what would you recommend me do?
I've seen that same thing.

I believe I'll just follow Marshall's guidelines on this one........

Edgar Frog

Reaction score
Holy crap I don't even remember seeing that in the manuel! I just recently did it a couple different times without even thinking! I even did it at volume. No pops or anything just heard the volume increase and decrease on each setting. What damage is it supposed to cause for I know if I did anything bad? Never did it before recently and wont do it again. I always have master and gain all the way down while powering up and down I clearly remember that in the manuel but always did that with any amp. I always keep guitar volumes at zero as well before unplugging/plugging in.

Last edited:

OriginOfTheSpecies

Reaction score
The manual says, if I remember correctly that you should change the power mode before powering up the amp

I can't see that in my manual. I flick between power settings all the time, with master up and all.

Should probably contact marshall of you have doubts. They got back to me pretty quick when I wanted to check I could run it without load.

Last edited:

Edgar Frog

Reaction score
I can't see that in my manual. I flick between power settings all the time, with master up and all.

Should probably contact marshall of you have doubts. They got back to me pretty quick when I wanted to check I could run it without load.

I checked mine again and on the very front page towards the bottom in small writing where it tells you the power up procedure it mentions selecting a power setting in the steps before powering it on. It mentions it as a step but there is no warning at all about doing it while it's on.

Here is a response I pulled from Marshall support from their website answering the question if it's safe to select settings while it's powered on.

"Regarding your ORI50, you can select between power outputs with the amplifier on, but it is not recommended to keep switching up and down the power output rapidly when playing.

Kind Regards

Marshall Support"

ST035

Reaction score
Okay, so I have to share an interesting situation which happened today in the studio . I was supposed to record rhythm guitars (double track) , guitar intro and solo - of course.

I own Origin 50c. Squier Stratocaster with Di Marzio Hs-3 in the bridge and neck positions, Boss NS-2 and Boss SD-1.

At rehearsals a month ago, I recorded a video and posted it all over Origin threads here.
The amp was in 5 watt mode, master on 10, tilt on 10, gain on 8, mids a hair above 8, bass 8, treble 6, presence 4. SD-1 was : level max, tone a hair over 12 o'clock, and DRIVE max. And it worked well... or so I thought.

Today at the studio me and two engineers were trying to find the sweet spot and to make the sound both natural and USEFUL. Because of the soundproof room, I turned the amp on 50w mode settings, I kept EQ exactly like I stated above, and I kept SD-1 settings the same.
And I got "brown sound", Van Halen type. Which is something I dislike. I hate distortion , even if it's natural. There was much more gain and overcompression. So, one of the engineers suggested that I should try lowering DRIVE setting on my SD-1 to 12 o'clock and then it was OK, it sounded like overdrive just a bit rougher overdrive. So I recorded rhythm guitars and it was okay.

But, when it came to the solo part - everything fell apart. I just couldn't get clarity and note separation I sought. At first I thought it was the problem with me, tension, insecurity, "this is just not my day, I guess". But when I played the solo, with my volume pot on guitar turned off, basically "unplugged", it came out clean and okay.
So we wasted another hour of me trying to pick very difficulty sequences trying to mute it etc.
But nothing worked.

Then another, very young engineer came to relieve those two older guys and at some point he was like "maybe the problem is in the booster". And then it clicked to me - I lowered DRIVE knob to 9 o'clock and voila - everything was perfect, I had sustain, I had overdrive sound/color, the note separation was there....

From this I learned the following > The higher the wattage mode, the more tubes will naturally distort , so you have to compensate with the pedal (ie, back the drive knob on SD-1 in my case). We even tried to put DRIVE knob at zero (which is how everyone uses it , but with JCM 800 and that amp has A WAY MORE gain than the Origin) and NOTHING happened. No sustain, no edge, nothing... but when I put it back at 9 o'clock, I got that good sound back.

Now, I am a bit afraid that I might have to redo rhythm guitars tomorrow with these newly found settings (which worked) on SD-1. But it's okay. Been playing for almost 6 hours straight, with a few 10 minute breaks for coffee, smokes, etc. Also, it seems that ... I SPEED AT NIGHT, since the best takes of solos and intros were captured at around half past 11 pm.

have a good one, good people, cheers,
Scott Noricsson of LA Sunset

OriginOfTheSpecies

Reaction score
Has anyone tried KT77s or 6ca7's in their Origin 20's? (Or know if it is possible?)

Something I wouldn't mind experimenting...

RCM 800

Reaction score
Has anyone tried KT77s or 6ca7's in their Origin 20's? (Or know if it is possible?)

no man I dont even fully understand how the cathode bias works so havent experimented. Please follow up if you do.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

I've got JJ 6CA7'S in my ORI50.

Both KT77's and 6CA7's can be used in EL34 amps. They will bias up the same. Meaning the bias resistor in your amp has the range to bias those tubes because they are within the bias range of an EL34 tube and have the same pin outs.

Last edited:

Johnny 99

Reaction score

The 20 watt Origin is cathode biased and will accept any octal tube. KT77s and 6CA7s are basically direct replacements for EL34s. I have had success with both 6L6s and KT66s. I would like to try 6V6s, as I believe they would run closer to their usual voltages and may provide a more noticeable difference.

Note- KT66s are big tubes. In order to get them in the head the retainer clips must be removed. They barely cleared the top of the headshell when I installed them....

Time Traveler

Reaction score
In your opinions , for home using , which is the best setting volume and gain whit Origin 20h for using pedals Overdrive, fuzz and treble booster ? For sounds cranch or distortion.

Latest posts