The Official Marshall Origin 20 Thread...

• Thread starter Joe_Easy
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Usually run on low watt mode with master anywhere between 7 to 10 and gain around 6-8
I missed this in the OP.
You might be fighting a losing battle playing in low power mode though, it's noticeably more mushy and fizzy than the mid/high setting.
Agreed. I run mine on 20w at any volume.
At low volume I use the amp boost, up the gain on the SD-1, and give the GE-7 a high/low "V" shape with some boost.
As the volume goes up, I turn the amp boost off, lower the SD-1 gain, and flatten out the GE-7 as the amp gain takes over and opens up.

natethegreat978

Reaction score
Thank you for the advice everyone, think my next step is going to be grabbing a GE-7 first, then maybe an SD-1. I'll try the mid power setting with a bit of drive dialed in on the Soul Food or SD-1 (so far when I turn on the Soul Food, I've been using it as a clean-ish boost with level maxed and drive near-zero)

Georgiatec

VIP Member
Reaction score
Just picked up an Origin 20H cheapish (£225). Stock JJ's and Shuguang went in the parts drawer and fitted a pair of vintage RFT EL34's, RFT ECC83 in v1, 60's Valvo (Mullard) in v2 and a Sovtek 12AX7LPS in v3. It was pretty harsh sounding with all the original tubes, but a whole lot better now. Completely different animal to the Ori 5c I have transplanted into a 1 x 12 cab.
Will be a worthy back up to the SV20 when gigs open up again.
full

Last edited:

GarethWP

Reaction score
Thought I would re-awaken this thread with an update....... so my Origin 20 HR .........Definitely improved by playing through 2 Greenbacks instead of the pair of 70/80s I started with, but I was still not getting even close to edge of breakup with the amp as it was stock...no not even cranked, yeah putting a BD2 or a SD1 or even a DS1 ( they were presents I asked for TS or soul food) got it there, and don't get me wrong I love the tones I'm getting ......but I wanted more. So I rolled the Tubes first I swapped the stock 12ax7s (marshall) for some Tung-Sols with a balanced one over nearest the power amp tubes and yeah Im there I can now get that edge of breakup tone with the master and gain both on 7. wooohoo. so heck I thought what can I get if I roll the EL34s so in went a matched pair of Tung-Sols in the power amp stage......and nah sounds beautiful full thick and creamy but definitely cleaner again so back in with the stock Marshall EL34s and I'm pretty happy now this sounds really good now at all volumes in every power stage and both my SSS Strat and LP. But I'm still wondering what else I can get with some more tube rolling cos it definitely with absolutely no doubt makes big differences to this amp. Still think I might need a DSL though or an SC or even SV

Thanks everyone and keep on rocking

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thought I would re-awaken this thread with an update....... so my Origin 20 HR .........Definitely improved by playing through 2 Greenbacks instead of the pair of 70/80s I started with, but I was still not getting even close to edge of breakup with the amp as it was stock...no not even cranked, yeah putting a BD2 or a SD1 or even a DS1 ( they were presents I asked for TS or soul food) got it there, and don't get me wrong I love the tones I'm getting ......but I wanted more. So I rolled the Tubes first I swapped the stock 12ax7s (marshall) for some Tung-Sols with a balanced one over nearest the power amp tubes and yeah Im there I can now get that edge of breakup tone with the master and gain both on 7. wooohoo. so heck I thought what can I get if I roll the EL34s so in went a matched pair of Tung-Sols in the power amp stage......and nah sounds beautiful full thick and creamy but definitely cleaner again so back in with the stock Marshall EL34s and I'm pretty happy now this sounds really good now at all volumes in every power stage and both my SSS Strat and LP. But I'm still wondering what else I can get with some more tube rolling cos it definitely with absolutely no doubt makes big differences to this amp. Still think I might need a DSL though or an SC or even SV

Thanks everyone and keep on rocking

A few of us have put the JJ E34L's in the power tubes.
Consensus is that they add some noticeable growl.
If you missed this recent thread, give it a read.
E34L in Origin20 | MarshallForum.com
I've also put JJ ECC803S's in mine - matched set in V1 & V2, balanced one in V3 PI.

GarethWP

Reaction score
Thank you @fitz288 I will be having a go with some JJs and some Sovteks in the near future I have to say that I have read so much about these amps and watched so many YT vids and a lot is contradictory and especially with the videos not my experience with my ORI20 that I almost didn't care what tubes I tried first. I was really hoping for more from the Tungsol EL34s though. I had read that thread on the
I will try the E34ls and 803s too soon and again thanks I love the sharing of ideas that we have here on this forum

Last edited:

Georgiatec

VIP Member
Reaction score
Quick update on my amp three weeks into owning it. Despite Marshall's miss-leading on line manuals and stupid 8 ohm output set up I managed to get away with not blowing the O/T. Although it did smell like I was cooking kippers in my studio. :erk:
This is no master volume amp. You cannot get good overdriven tones with the master low and the gain on full....it just sounds quiet and flat. The master and the gain seem to work like two volume controls and both need to be around 3/4 or above before the amp gives up the goods. I'm currently using Tung Sol new production EL34's, ECC83's are vintage RFT in v1, Vintage I63 Mullard in v2 and a Sovtek 12ax7LPS in v3.
The amp sounds the best for recording in mid power mode where it produces good focused tone. low power mode is there for folk noodling in their bedrooms, but sounds crap. Full power mode is a bit unruly for my taste. The amp starts to sound a little dazed and confused....but not in a Led Zep kind of way.
This amp is nowhere near the SV20 for quality of tone. The SV20, pretty much, nails the Plexi tone in a lower wattage amp. The Origin 20h, while sounding completely acceptable is not in the same league tone-wise....nor for the money would you expect it to be.
It is loads of fun however and does have that characteristic Marshall bark albiet a little hoarse.
:rock:

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
With my 50 watter I thought I'd try something different and something closer to a plexi like attack. Putting a 12AY7 in V1 lowers gain but the tone and attack is vintage.

I always play loud so for this amp having pre and power section up is key like a lot of you have found. The other thing is being able to have the amp boost mix better with the 12AY7 doing it's thing.

Next thing I do is add just a bit of boost with my Breakdown OD. I love the mix I'm getting but just as important is the old school feel. Which has really got me enamoured with this Marshall.

The 2 final ingredients are my 412 GB'D cab plus my EC1000 equipped Fishmen Fluence Classic Core actives. I've got PAF, hot rodded and SC pups all in one and they are all good. This guitar kills through the ORI. Just what it needed.

Course I never would expect any player to do anything other that what sounds good to them. Isn't it great when we dial in our tonez?:eddie::agreed:

Msharky67

Reaction score
Would you still get the Origin20h if you wanted the SV20h or couldn't afford it. I didn't want to get flamed posting a new thread. My birthday is next week. I am almost swing for the Origin again. I can't do the SV20 at this time. No price is worth that much. Its on my bucket list but someday I will have one. I want an honest opinion from those who have both.

Georgiatec

VIP Member
Reaction score
Would you still get the Origin20h if you wanted the SV20h or couldn't afford it. I didn't want to get flamed posting a new thread. My birthday is next week. I am almost swing for the Origin again. I can't do the SV20 at this time. No price is worth that much. Its on my bucket list but someday I will have one. I want an honest opinion from those who have both.
The Origin 20 is great for the price....but the SV20 is in a different league.
I bought the Origin as back up for my SV20 and it is just that. It will never be my 1st choice, but if the SV20 ever fails the Origin will do the gig just fine.
Mid power mode is good for loud home playing, but low power mode is pretty lame.

Georgiatec

VIP Member
Reaction score
With my 50 watter I thought I'd try something different and something closer to a plexi like attack. Putting a 12AY7 in V1 lowers gain but the tone and attack is vintage.

I always play loud so for this amp having pre and power section up is key like a lot of you have found. The other thing is being able to have the amp boost mix better with the 12AY7 doing it's thing.

Next thing I do is add just a bit of boost with my Breakdown OD. I love the mix I'm getting but just as important is the old school feel. Which has really got me enamoured with this Marshall.

The 2 final ingredients are my 412 GB'D cab plus my EC1000 equipped Fishmen Fluence Classic Core actives. I've got PAF, hot rodded and SC pups all in one and they are all good. This guitar kills through the ORI. Just what it needed.

Course I never would expect any player to do anything other that what sounds good to them. Isn't it great when we dial in our tonez?:eddie::agreed:
I think the 50w will be better. Fixed bias and more voltage on the plates is what will make the amp sound better. I think the EL34's in the 20w aren't quite in their sweet spot....which is strange 'coz in the SV20 they most definitely are.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the 50w will be better. Fixed bias and more voltage on the plates is what will make the amp sound better. I think the EL34's in the 20w aren't quite in their sweet spot....which is strange 'coz in the SV20 they most definitely are.

I agree. The added thump from the Iron always gets a certain sound and feel.

I love my SC. But it is a shadow of its big bruther. I knew that and am happy with the shadow.

I love the 50 but I sure as hell wouldn't mind a 100 watt version. In fact I'd jump on it. The 50 is jus beginning to give thump. Where I start to get randy.:lol:

Last edited:

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't have an SV20H for comparison, and I have never wanted one at that price, but I have the Origin20H and love it.
And I've spent a lot of ching on pedals, and tubes, and speakers, to get it where I'm really digging it.
You've had 2 and returned them.
The O20H amp hasn't changed (other than price increases), have your expectations changed?
I think you should wait for the SV20H, buying a substitute is just going to delay you getting what you really want.

GarethWP

Reaction score
Hello and I have to be honest I don't have both and my only amp is the Origin 20h(and one tiny other make one) but for what it's worth I will pass on my thoughts on this........yes I love my Origin ....but ....... only after a lot of fiddling and rolling tubes and certainly more to go.....I won't be getting rid of it now. Here's another But....but if I could go back and do it again I would buy the DSL20 head instead if I could afford double the money I would definitely be considering the SC20 or the SV20 but on a budget I think that the DSL gives a good range of tone from cleans to dirty where as "my" Origin is pretty much clean unless I turn the master and the Gain up high and then it is loud..... very loud even on the lowest 0.5 W setting. The Origin does take pedals exceptionally well. And therefore does achieve a really versatile range of tones .....here's another but....but you do need the pedals or at least be able to crank it to get there. ....... I hope that this helps. Personally I would say go find somewhere to compare them though.

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
Hello and I have to be honest I don't have both and my only amp is the Origin 20h(and one tiny other make one) but for what it's worth I will pass on my thoughts on this........yes I love my Origin ....but ....... only after a lot of fiddling and rolling tubes and certainly more to go.....I won't be getting rid of it now. Here's another But....but if I could go back and do it again I would buy the DSL20 head instead if I could afford double the money I would definitely be considering the SC20 or the SV20 but on a budget I think that the DSL gives a good range of tone from cleans to dirty where as "my" Origin is pretty much clean unless I turn the master and the Gain up high and then it is loud..... very loud even on the lowest 0.5 W setting. The Origin does take pedals exceptionally well. And therefore does achieve a really versatile range of tones .....here's another but....but you do need the pedals or at least be able to crank it to get there. ....... I hope that this helps. Personally I would say go find somewhere to compare them though.
I agree, and I do have the Dsl40c’s as well, so both bases covered here, on a budget..
Cheers

GarethWP

Reaction score
I do have another thought ..... and that is the Origin20h has made me dig inside the amp. I have swapped out speakers I've swapped out valves I've swapped them back again oh and the I've swapped em all again.......I have bought pedals and then bought some more......ha ha ha I can't play my guitars any better but I know a lot more about my amplifier my cab and guitar pedals than I did before. I also have a much better Idea of
" my tone" than I would have.....wow I love my Origin...it's not the perfect amp and I would not swap .....I'd buy more amps but I would not part with it. Happy playing everyone

bander

Reaction score
Got a question: Just brought home a OR20 head. I don't have a cab for it yet, but I do have an 4 ohm cabinet. Any issue with using it with some restraint on max levels?