The Official Marshall Origin 20 Thread...

• Thread starter Joe_Easy
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
In your opinions , for home using , which is the best setting volume and gain whit Origin 20h for using pedals Overdrive, fuzz and treble booster ? For sounds cranch or distortion.
Welcome to the forum
To answer your question mine are loud , 50 H and I play them at live gig volume from what we did in the early 80’s, I think that to play them quietly you would have to use a couple of pedals stacked into the front of the amp, on the lowest power setting.
But I have never tried this approach.
Give it a shot.
Cheers
Mitch

RCM 800

Reaction score
In your opinions , for home using , which is the best setting volume and gain whit Origin 20h for using pedals Overdrive, fuzz and treble booster ? For sounds cranch or distortion.
Not saying this is the best way but this is how Im setup now. I have everything at about noon except the gain is cranked. I dont use the built in boost. Base tone is clean if you play soft and mildly distorted if you really thwack it. I have my GE7 set with a slight mid hump and a slight gain boost for AC/DC kinda gain. Run a TS on top of that for full distortion. Im currently running 2 TS's one set cleaner than the other just for different levels of gain. I use the low power setting when playing alone and mid (mostly mid) or full for playing with the band.

Time Traveler

Reaction score
Has anyone played a fuzz tonebender with Marshall origin 20 ? It would be better on clean or crunch amp?

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has anyone played a fuzz tonebender with Marshall origin 20 ? It would be better on clean or crunch amp?

Man fuzzes are really tricky. And who has the money to explore much?

Try both. It really depends on the fuzz circuit. So it's pedal dependant. The only thing I can say for sure is less amp gain usually better.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have the Origin 50H. I find hair on its distortion already. Mix knowing the amp can get a natural fuzz at higher gain levels.

RCM 800

Reaction score
Only fuzz Ive tried that works on mine is the JHS Bender. I run my amp on the edge of breakup and most pedals I tried didnt sound right with it. I imagine if you were to run the amp straight clean like with the master maxed and use the gain as a volume others might work better but I wanted a fuzz that works with my base tone.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only fuzz Ive tried that works on mine is the JHS Bender. I run my amp on the edge of breakup and most pedals I tried didnt sound right with it. I imagine if you were to run the amp straight clean like with the master maxed and use the gain as a volume others might work better but I wanted a fuzz that works with my base tone.

So far I have not been able to find a fuzz that works as I want with one amp let alone others. My biggest gear struggle.:facepalm:

Scottz

Reaction score
Quick question not really addressed in the manual - is it ok to switch power levels while the amp is on or should you turn it off to change the power level? Thanks

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quick question not really addressed in the manual - is it ok to switch power levels while the amp is on or should you turn it off to change the power level? Thanks

Here's a quote from earlier in this thread referencing the manual & online support Q&A:

I checked mine again and on the very front page towards the bottom in small writing where it tells you the power up procedure it mentions selecting a power setting in the steps before powering it on. It mentions it as a step but there is no warning at all about doing it while it's on.

Here is a response I pulled from Marshall support from their website answering the question if it's safe to select settings while it's powered on.

"Regarding your ORI50, you can select between power outputs with the amplifier on, but it is not recommended to keep switching up and down the power output rapidly when playing.

Kind Regards

Marshall Support"

NotSure

Reaction score
So far I have not been able to find a fuzz that works as I want with one amp let alone others. My biggest gear struggle.:facepalm:
I would suggest the Univox Superfuzz (the orange/blue circuit). There are plenty of clones of those available in many different price points, just make sure it's based on that specific circuit. I have a vintage fuzz/wah that has that circuit in it, and the sound through the Origin 20 is massive. Plus you have two tone options with a Superfuzz: mid-scooped for heavy tones, and mid-boost to cut through the mix. It's a great fuzz for any amp really, just stay away from the ones without the internal 10k bias trimmer. The Superfuzz can sound like dissonant garbage when the octave transistors aren't biased correctly. The early vintage ones were very hit and miss. The vintage Orange/Blue ones though are the real deal.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would suggest the Univox Superfuzz (the orange/blue circuit). There are plenty of clones of those available in many different price points, just make sure it's based on that specific circuit. I have a vintage fuzz/wah that has that circuit in it, and the sound through the Origin 20 is massive. Plus you have two tone options with a Superfuzz: mid-scooped for heavy tones, and mid-boost to cut through the mix. It's a great fuzz for any amp really, just stay away from the ones without the internal 10k bias trimmer. The Superfuzz can sound like dissonant garbage when the octave transistors aren't biased correctly. The early vintage ones were very hit and miss. The vintage Orange/Blue ones though are the real deal.
I had one of those blue and orange Univox Fuzz pedals back in the 70s. I recall buying it at a Sam Ash in White Plains NY for $35 brand new. Man that was a big pedal, (size wise).

I’ve seen a couple on Reverb for like $1500 asking price!

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had one of those blue and orange Univox Fuzz pedals back in the 70s. I recall buying it at a Sam Ash in White Plains NY for $35 brand new. Man that was a big pedal, (size wise).

I’ve seen a couple on Reverb for like $1500 asking price!

:shock:

Yeah I'll just roll back my tone knob instead.

natethegreat978

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've overall been a happy Origin 20H owner the past 9 months or so, mostly play hard 70's/80's rock (Van Halen, Guns N Roses, AC/DC). I am trying to figure out options to tame the brightness a bit, and maybe fill in a bit of low end/low mids, and add a touch more gain as well but without getting a wooly/mushy tone. I haven't found a combination of settings on the amp or my guitars tone knobs that quite gets what I'm after. Scanning these forums and others, I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed with potential options!

What I have:
- Origin 20 H, running through a 1x12 EVH closed back cab with G12H30 celestion. Usually run on low watt mode with master anywhere between 7 to 10 and gain around 6-8
- Fender fat strat with dimarzio air zone humbucker, also have an epiphone 59' les paul with gibson burstbuckers
- EHX soul food used as a boost in front of the amp when needed. Boss RV-6 in the loop for reverb.

What I'm considering:
- Boss SD-1 (have seen multiple people recommend this as a boost into the front of the origin 20, not sure how much of a difference I'll see compared to the Soul Food, but hey it's only $40-50)
- Swapping preamp tubes
- Swapping in a Greenback speaker
- Get an EQ pedal (in front of amp, or in effects loop?)
- Going crazy and saving up for a 4x12 cab

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
- Boss SD-1 (have seen multiple people recommend this as a boost into the front of the origin 20, not sure how much of a difference I'll see compared to the Soul Food, but hey it's only $40-50)
Yes. SD-1 + Marshall = Yeah buddy!
- Swapping preamp tubes
Possible? - I put in 3 JJ803 and it added a little growl on straight in & cranked.
Yes. GE-7 or MXR 10 ~ IN THE LOOP.
Well, maybe a 2x12 - a pair of Vintage30s hit the spot for me.

AND, :welcome: to the forum!

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've overall been a happy Origin 20H owner the past 9 months or so, mostly play hard 70's/80's rock (Van Halen, Guns N Roses, AC/DC). I am trying to figure out options to tame the brightness a bit, and maybe fill in a bit of low end/low mids, and add a touch more gain as well but without getting a wooly/mushy tone. I haven't found a combination of settings on the amp or my guitars tone knobs that quite gets what I'm after. Scanning these forums and others, I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed with potential options!

What I have:
- Origin 20 H, running through a 1x12 EVH closed back cab with G12H30 celestion. Usually run on low watt mode with master anywhere between 7 to 10 and gain around 6-8
- Fender fat strat with dimarzio air zone humbucker, also have an epiphone 59' les paul with gibson burstbuckers
- EHX soul food used as a boost in front of the amp when needed. Boss RV-6 in the loop for reverb.

What I'm considering:
- Swapping preamp tubes

Circuit wise the amp gets whooly. You have a great OD pedal already. I use mine with a 412 GB cab. I'm using a Breakdown pedal with my 50 watter. I've found a happy place without the mush. Still a hint of whooly which I don't mind. I have other amps that aren't whooly. I actually like how old school unpolished it sounds. Especially with my EVH 412. I can't play quietly. Just FYI.

I did put a 12AY7 in V1. Definitely helps with any bottom mush. But that's me. I like to wrestle my amp when I play. Plenty of saturation...Just clearer.

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

What I have:

What I'm considering:
- Swapping preamp tubes
Welcome to the forum
It’s already been said before me, SD1, MXR10 band eq, and your dialing in just became far broader than just the amp and guitar.
I am also an owner of the Origin 50H
Cheers
Mitch

OriginOfTheSpecies

Reaction score
- Swapping preamp tubes

Possible? - I put in 3 JJ803 and it added a little growl on straight in & cranked

+1 for the long plate JJ. Did seem to add a bit more low-mid growl and also mesh better with OD's than other preamp tubes I tried.
You might be fighting a losing battle playing in low power mode though, it's noticeably more mushy and fizzy than the mid/high setting.