The Official Marshall Origin 20 Thread...

• Thread starter Joe_Easy
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got a question: Just brought home a OR20 head. I don't have a cab for it yet, but I do have an 4 ohm cabinet. Any issue with using it with some restraint on max levels?
:welcome: to the forum.
Do not use the 4ohm cab with this amp.
It's not a matter of volume like using a low rated speaker wattage.
The ohm mis-match can damage both the speaker and the amp.
Get a 16ohm or 8ohm speaker cab.
What exactly is this 4ohm cab?

bander

Reaction score
:welcome: to the forum.
Do not use the 4ohm cab with this amp.
It's not a matter of volume like using a low rated speaker wattage.
The ohm mis-match can damage both the speaker and the amp.
Get a 16ohm or 8ohm speaker cab.
What exactly is this 4ohm cab?
Narrow panel extension with a E130-4. I use it with a 5e3 sometimes. Different, I know.

bander

Reaction score
Welcome to the Marshall Forum @bander.

l’ll defer to @fitz288 here of course, he owns the amp I don’t.

I just wanted to mention that if your Marshall doesn’t have a 4ohm output option, (like the one in the pic below), you cannot use a 4ohm cab

Thanks and gotcha. In the Fender world, running a 4 ohm cab on an 8 ohm amp/supply is an accepted practice, with a lot of testimony by long time users, even if Fender won't endorse it. I'm thinking Marshall's are a tighter design, and at greater risk. I'm in no rush, I've got plenty of 8 ohm combo's that I can rig as a cab. And, I'll step up my shopping for a 2x12, not an unpleasant task.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is the 4ohm cab u have just for use with other amps or just for the origin 20h?
Im no expert but ill comment anyway, if this is a spare cab either 4x12 or 2x12 is it not possible to wire it to make it 8ohm (2x12) 0r 16ohm (4x12)?
Just a idea
http://www.colomar.com/Shavano/2x12wiring.html
http://www.colomar.com/Shavano/4x12wiring.html
That cab is a single 4 ohm speaker (JBL) extension cab for a Fender combo.
If you had two of them, you could series wire to 8ohm.
O20H output transformer can do 1x16ohm, 2x16ohm, or 1x8ohm.
20201225_085408.jpg

Markfresh

Reaction score
Oh ok no probs for some reason when @bander mentioned looking for a 2x12 i thought the 4ohm cab may have been multi speaker :( .
Also i have the same head , glad yours has come with the fixed sticker on it aswell .

Last edited:

GarethWP

Reaction score
Got a question: Just brought home a OR20 head. I don't have a cab for it yet, but I do have an 4 ohm cabinet. Any issue with using it with some restraint on max levels?
Hello and welcome
I'm not a speaker/amp expert and definitely not an electrician my understanding of speaker and amp loadings is basic at best. But from what I do know, my advice would definitely be hold fire and get an 8ohm or 16 ohm cab and DON'T plug a 4 ohm cab into your new ORI 20 h even at restrained levels. If you don't kill a transformer it certainly won't sound it's best as these amps like most valve amps need a lack of restraint to sound good. But I actually think that a 4 ohm cab is going to cause problems to an 8/16 ohm rated amp. I am sure someone with more knowledge will back me up if I'm correct or tell me I'm wrong soon.
But hello and welcome to the forum I am sure you will love your Origin.

Last edited:

mspart

Reaction score
I am getting my first ever amp head today, an Origin 20. I'm pretty stoked about it. I have been doing a lot of reading and listening and think this should be a good fit. I'm not much of a player but always wanted a head and cab. Got the cab with 2 V-30s and now will have the head. I'm pretty stoked about it.

Cab is 8 ohm and Origin 20 has an 8 ohm output. So that should work fine. I know my ohms from my nomes. ha ha

mspart

Last edited:

mspart

Reaction score
Hello and welcome
I'm not a speaker/amp expert and definitely not an electrician my understanding of speaker and amp loadings is basic at best. But from what I do know, my advice would definitely be hold fire and get an 8ohm or 16 ohm cab and DON'T plug a 4 ohm cab into your new ORI 20 h even at restrained levels. If you don't kill a transformer it certainly won't sound it's best as these amps like most valve amps need a lack of restraint to sound good. But I actually think that a 4 ohm cab is going to cause problems to an 8/16 ohm rated amp. I am sure someone with more knowledge will back me up if I'm correct or tell me I'm wrong soon.
But hello and welcome to the forum I am sure you will love your Origin.

Correctomundo! No 4 ohm into the Origin 20. Bad juju. You could rewire the 4 ohm cab with two 8 ohm speakers in series to make it a 16 ohm cab. That would work. Right now the two speakers are in parallel to make a 4 ohm cab. No good.

mspart

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
I am getting my first ever amp head today, an Origin 20. I'm pretty stoked about it. I have been doing a lot of reading and listening and think this should be a good fit. I'm not much of a player but always wanted a head and cab. Got the cab with 2 V-30s and now will have the head. I'm pretty stoked about it.

Cab is 8 ohm and Origin 20 has an 8 ohm output. So that should work fine. I know my ohms from my nomes. ha ha

mspart
:cheers:
:welcome:
To the forum
Congratulations on your new Origin head and cab , I do believe you are going to love it...
Cheers
Mitch

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
WELCOME TO THE FORUM
you have already got your answer about the no go on a 4 ohm load, please enjoy your new amp with the correct matching cab , and speaker cable !!
Cheers
Mitch

bander

Reaction score
Hey thanks everyone. I forgot I've got a 412 that has been a work bench for several years, I'll drop some speakers in, probably wired for 8 ohm. Might be my Saturday morning project.

Maggot Brain

Reaction score
DUUUUDES!!!

I can't get over how awesome my Origin 20 sounds with E34Ls and recently put a hot Electro Harmonix 12AX7 in the PI and it just sounds glorious! It is 100% old school Marshall and truly sounds and feels like some of the 70s JMPs I've played.

With the E34L and the hot EH 12AX7 I am getting stingy hot crunch n grind gain with the volume at 5 (noon). It just gets hotter more gain and crunch with compression past 5 and on 10 it is roaring KaranG.

I swapped the stock EL34s and 12AX7 PI back in just to compare and the amp seemed very anemic, I am very surprised how "dull" the amp sounds stock imho and I loved it upon first playing it but after going this route there is no going back. I put the E34Ls and EH back in and my God what a difference... The Origin is FIRE with these tubes! I highly recommend anyone looking for more gain and distortion to swap in E34Ls, I find my EH 12AX7 adds more harmonic depth... it's a magic combo for me.

Latest posts