The Official Marshall Origin 50 Thread

• Thread starter MarshallDog
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dmann

Reaction score
I think that midnight 60 speaker is going to sound glorious, can't wait to hear it broken in and pushed.

Gratz on the new amps guys, nice looking amps!

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
Isn't the cabinet just deeper to allow clearance for the transformers and tubes?

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I'll let you know when I get mine!!

Looking forward to you getting yours! I called my local GC and they have an Origin5 coming in on the floor in the next week or two, I'll be all over that for a demo! :yesway:

Just noticed on the back of the combo has a cubby looks pretty cool for carrying your stuff. :yesway: :yesway:

Last edited:

BanditPanda

Reaction score
I think that midnight 60 speaker is going to sound glorious, can't wait to hear it broken in and pushed.

Gratz on the new amps guys, nice looking amps!

Mojotone comments :
" The G12-60 is a custom made Celestion speaker that's very similar to a Vintage 30. Our opinion is the G12-60 is slightly warmer/darker than a stock Vintage 30 Guitar Speaker. The G12-60 has excellent low end response with smooth top end sparkle. Some of our staff members have said "this speaker sounds like a Vintage 30 that has been nicely broken in."

BanditPanda

Reaction score
Jeebus Dawg you must be home by now!! At least drop a line to let us know how it smells! ( the new amp )
BP

MarshallDog

Reaction score
Well, I have it. The Brown Gorillas really beat the sh-t out of the box to the point I figured it was damaged. I pointed it out to the UPS Manager. He said if damaged, just have Sweetwater file a claim, they wont dispute it.

The Bad...

So I get it home and open her up and all looks well, amazing I must say for the condition of the box.

I power her up and plug in, two chords later a BIG POP and it goes almost silent, WTF! I cycle through the Power Reduction setting, nothing. I'm getting pissed about now. I cycle power and its back to full volume. I play a few chords and I hear that crackly mystical sound coming from behind the chords but it then goes away. I played it rather hard for 30 minutes, seems OK.

Then, I noticed on the edge of the faceplate near the Tolex (8) small scuff marks that only Marshall could have done during production...errr! So now I am livid. I call Sweetwater, explain everything to them. Although its probably just a loose tube or a bad tube due the fall it took, I am not replacing them and dealing with this crap and the scuff marks. I have had bad luck with my DSL 40C and Astoria Custom so I am not taking chances, its going back. Of course they are out of stock with more due in on the 22nd. So I can use this one til then and they will open and inspect the next one for cosmetic flaws and will give it a quick test play.

The Good...

The amp sounds really awesome with my LPS. Amazing, very Plexish. The Power Reduction sounds great also. I mean I am please, and the tubes and speaker is not even broken in yet. I had the gain on 6-7, takes pedals great. I cant wait to play it more.

I would really love to put the Tube Store 7025 pres in her an the Mullard EL34s along with putting the G12M-65 Creamback in it I have. It will only get better but I am not opening her up.

I'll play he more later but I really like it. IMO, the tone is between a Plexi and a JMP maybe leaning a bit more towards the Plexi. I really like it based on the 30 minutes I played it.

Georgiatec

VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the flaw in on line shopping is getting things to your door in one piece. Ok you can return but who wants to keep pissing around like that? I would say there is a big gap in the market for "TLC courier company". I would sack any bozo that has stuff he/she delivered returned because of damage.
On a positive note it sounds like the amp is a winner.....a good one, obviously.

BanditPanda

Reaction score
Aside from the "bad" the "good" is really good to hear.
If the first impression sound is a cross between a JMP and a plexi then that should be awesome. I really dig the JMP 50 so a mix with the plexi tone should be incredible !
Sorry to here about the damages caused in shipping though. Wouldn't ya know it!
Keep playing her though and let us know more.
BP
p.s. Make sure to take pictures of the box it was shipped in and the marks on the amp etc.,. Even if UPS says SW won't dispute it you do want to have pictures of the damages.
p.s.s. Make sure to give the G12-60 a good chance and break in period before swapping out right away. It just may be perfect for that amp ?

Last edited:

MarshallDog

Reaction score
Aside from the "bad" the "good" is really good to hear.
If the first impression sound is a cross between a JMP and a plexi then that should be awesome. I really dig the JMP 50 so a mix with the plexi tone should be incredible !
Sorry to here about the damages caused in shipping though. Wouldn't ya know it!
Keep playing her though and let us know more.
BP
p.s. Make sure to take pictures of the box it was shipped in and the marks on the amp etc.,. Even if UPS says SW won't dispute it you do want to have pictures of the damages.
p.s.s. Make sure to give the G12-60 a good chance and break in period before swapping out right away. It just may be perfect for that amp ?

I was just playing it a bit more and at lower volumes but crank it and I get that a scratchy crackly under tone. Its either a bad pre or power tube. I may try some different tubes while Im waiting for the replacement. I can swap these and then reinstall the bad ones once the new amp comes in with no one knowing!!!

Reaction score
I was just playing it a bit more and at lower volumes but crank it and I get that a scratchy crackly under tone. Its either a bad pre or power tube. I may try some different tubes while Im waiting for the replacement. I can swap these and then reinstall the bad ones once the new amp comes in with no one knowing!!!
that's what I would do, and I know sweetwater would care either..

JLBIII

Reaction score
The amp sounds really awesome with my LPS. Amazing, very Plexish. The Power Reduction sounds great also.

I'll play he more later but I really like it. IMO, the tone is between a Plexi and a JMP maybe leaning a bit more towards the Plexi. I really like it based on the 30 minutes I played it.

I have to laugh. FedEx truck left an hour ago. Just sent my bass player a txt saying the exact same thing about the tone. I have the 50 watt origin head running thru an early JCM 800 4 x 12" cab. 1 watt is a bit louder than I thought it would be. So far, all good. Looking forward to putting more time on it.

BanditPanda

Reaction score
And we're looking forward to your thoughts after putting in more time.
BP

Latest posts