The Official Marshall Origin 50 Thread

• Thread starter MarshallDog
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ColonelForbin

Reaction score
Overhauled my dual Origin 50 rig slightly recently; and stumbled into a most excellent way to use the Origin fx loops! Going with wet fx (mod/delay/verb) in the loop; and a volume pedal in the loop before the wet effects.

Since the Origin has a footswitch to turn on/off the fx loop; when running two of the heads into a pair of 1x12 creamback cabs; I found that leaving one fx loop on while turning the other off turns the volume pedal into a wet blend for the 2nd amp.

The path goes:
Gtr> pedalboard> amp1> fx loop send > volume pedal> wet effects (HX Stomp) > stereo out > Radial Shotgun (on top of amps) > both amps fx loop returns.

I realized the Origin fx loop SEND stays on when the fx loop is foot switched off.

Meaning; the 2nd amp gets regular wet signal controlled by the volume pedal.

I saved a copy of my main preset and changed the delays and verbs to mono; though I suppose could also collapse the stereo field at end of the HX chain with a mono block anyway to toggle between mono (wet/dry) and stereo.

As an aside to all that; the HX Stomp sounds pretty damn amazing paired with Origin.. The reverbs and delays are incredible; and that just barely scratches the surface what it can do.

Anway; here is how things are looking as of yesterday...

I still need to order another set of the big rubber feet! The meager little tiny feet they give you with Origin won't clear the carry handle of the cabs..

Cheers!

M1wfrvn.jpg

UlAGWrt.jpg

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
Curious wouldn’t you have to unplug the 16 ohm speaker and if so wouldn’t the wattage change.
Don’t quote me on this but matching ohm’s doesn’t change wattage if you have the combo the internal speaker is 16 ohm’s, and you want to use a 8 ohm’s cab , just unplug the internal speaker and plug your cab into the matching ohm’s jack, and if you are going to run 2 16 ohm cabs plug them both into the 2 8 ohm jacks. Cheers Mitch

tce63

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Curious wouldn’t you have to unplug the 16 ohm speaker and if so wouldn’t the wattage change.

He asked if "Can I install it and plug it into the 8 ohm output jack instead of using the 16 ohm output jack that the current stock speaker is plugged into? "

So i think he will be safe , or am I missing something ?

ColonelForbin

Reaction score
He asked if "Can I install it and plug it into the 8 ohm output jack instead of using the 16 ohm output jack that the current stock speaker is plugged into? "

So i think he will be safe , or am I missing something ?

The main issue with putting an 8ohm speaker in the combo; and also wanting to use a 16ohm extension cab at same time.

5.3 ohms load un evenly distributes power; much more to the 8ohm; less to the 16ohm.

I realized this recently at our jam spot; with my buddies Boogie combo and attempting to use my various cabs; all of which are 16ohms.. (Boogie combo speaker is 8ohms)

Work around for now is use the Boogie with my 1960a cab set to just one side with toggle set to stereo; really just dual mono 2x12 at 8ohms; paired with the 8ohm combo speaker; using the two 4 ohm taps.

So 8ohm speaker in a combo can be a bit of a PITA; if all yours cabs are 16ohms!

As the OP asked; I think you are fine just running the 1x12 8ohm speaker into the 8ohm tap..

Rooster-p

Reaction score
So I got the speaker outputs fixed under warranty. Now I can run two 16 ohm cabs if I want.

You’ll laugh your asses off! The fix is a 1.5” inch long piece of wire solder between 2 of the jack legs and a new sticker that goes on the back clearly showing what cab impedance to use and where to plug them it.

I have pics of the label installed, the Marshall tech note and the piece of wire they sent...very comical IMO but fixed.

Ill post the pics as soon as I can.

View attachment 53413

You can see the new sticker on the output jacks, the wire and the instructions...pretty simple.
You are definitely the man! I have the origin 20c and I've had it for about 6months and just got around to hooking a extension speaker to it to find out it didn't work. Well I went to the gear page forum and they have about 300 pages of trying to figure it out so I came here and joined, found your post on here and I'll be damned if you didn't save me a big pain in the arse. I broke out the trusty soldering station and had it fixed in 15 minutes. Works like a charm ( knock on wood) I thank you very much sir, you saved me a trip to sweetwater. Good man.

MarshallDog

Reaction score
You are definitely the man! I have the origin 20c and I've had it for about 6months and just got around to hooking a extension speaker to it to find out it didn't work. Well I went to the gear page forum and they have about 300 pages of trying to figure it out so I came here and joined, found your post on here and I'll be damned if you didn't save me a big pain in the arse. I broke out the trusty soldering station and had it fixed in 15 minutes. Works like a charm ( knock on wood) I thank you very much sir, you saved me a trip to sweetwater. Good man.

I am so glad I could help out!

And welcome to the Forum, hope to see you around here in the future!

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
:cheers: :welcome: To the forum. Cheers Mitch

Objector

Reaction score
Anyone aware of any decent covers for the 50c?
Not overly concerned with it looking fancy or anything,just a little protection when in and out of the car to band practice.

Thanks.

(Or I could just cobble something together of course)

unkhunter

Reaction score
Other than plugging multiple cabinets into my 50c, is there any way to tell if mine needs the output connection fix that others have needed?

Axis39

Reaction score
Other than plugging multiple cabinets into my 50c, is there any way to tell if mine needs the output connection fix that others have needed?

Look at the labels on the speaker outs. I believe, if it has two 8 ohm outs, it needs to be fixed.

You can also reach out to Marshall and they'll help you through your serial number.

unkhunter

Reaction score
Bear with me as I continue with questions. Does anyone know of a vertical 212 16 ohm cab that would fit under a 50c? The Marshall one is 8 ohms and wider than other available cabs and I want to be able to run the speaker in the combo as well as an extension cab and have them fit.

assaf110

Reaction score
No, AFAIK all current production vertical 212 cabs are 8 Ohms. Also, the 50c is wider then the cabs.