The Official Marshall Origin 50 Thread

• Thread starter MarshallDog
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score

A quick Origin clip of both of my 50H’s
No amp boost, no overdrive pedal, gain at 8 volume at 4,
Presence 10
Treble 8
Mids 8
Bass 5
The 2 full stacks are MG cabs.
The white one has 2 greenbacks in it
The top cab on the right has 2 eminence golds in it, the bottom B cabs are stock, and I have a 3210 lead 100 mosfet pushing those 2 cabs,
I am using the MXR10 band eq to push both Origins, and FX send to the front of the mosfet on the clean channel.
The origins are on half power mode.
I could feel the bass response with my feet, loud enough for all my neighbors to hear it as well..
Cheers
Mitch

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
i bet your neighbors love you, i know mine would....lol.
Last Tuesday night I had to listen to a very loud Mariachi music till 3:30 am
So my once in a while loud and proud Marshall amps are nothing, as long as I keep it at an hour or so.
Otherwise they would come over and ask me to turn down, and I would oblige.
Cheers

jhue73

Reaction score
you are a good neighbor then. if someone around here played loud music at 3:30am on a week day the law would probably be called or there would be a fight or my wife may shoot someone.....lol...and we live in the country, my nearest neighbor is probably 200 yards away.

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
you are a good neighbor then. if someone around here played loud music at 3:30am on a week day the law would probably be called or there would be a fight or my wife may shoot someone.....lol...and we live in the country, my nearest neighbor is probably 200 yards away.
Well I did want to fire them up at 6:00 am and give them a minute or so, but I didn’t want to be late for work!!

idw357

Reaction score
As an ex Fender advocate, that Marshall sound will just get better and better. I recently put a Celestion Red Back into a Hot Rod closed back extension cab for when I don't need twin twelves. When paired with the Ori50 it sounds excellent.

Steeptimber

Reaction score
I have a 50C with a g12m-65, mullard tubes biased to 32.5, running new JJs in v1-3.

These are dial settings, not clockface settings. Running my LP (50s wiring) in 10 watt mode, I get a clean sound up to about 5 gain, 5 MV. Beyond that I get breakup, whether its pre or power by increasing either the gain or MV. The amp doesn't get louder much beyond MV 8. The power section changes noticeably when you go from 7-8. The volume jumps and gets noticeably louder. The amp sounds more open running the MV higher than the pre. Pre clipping and MV clipping can sound quite similar to my ears, but the MV sounds more open and less fizzy. But not enough pre and a ton of MV sounds really thin and hollow.

Anyone know how to tighten up sound when with moderate gain levels? I get the level of gain I want easily, and I can dial out the fizz, but gain is just somewhat loose / not as tight compared to the gain in a plexi, like the SV20.

Last edited:

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 50C with a g12m-65, mullard tubes biased to 32.5, running new JJs in v1-3.

These are dial settings, not clockface settings. Running my LP (50s wiring) in 10 watt mode, I get a clean sound up to about 5 gain, 5 MV. Beyond that I get breakup, whether its pre or power by increasing either the gain or MV. The amp doesn't get louder much beyond MV 8. The power section changes noticeably when you go from 7-8. The volume jumps and gets noticeably louder. The amp sounds more open running the MV higher than the pre. Pre clipping and MV clipping can sound quite similar to my ears, but the MV sounds more open and less fizzy. But not enough pre and a ton of MV sounds really thin and hollow.

Anyone know how to tighten up sound when with moderate gain levels? I get the level of gain I want easily, and I can dial out the fizz, but gain is just somewhat loose / not as tight compared to the gain in a plexi, like the SV20.

Hard to compare my 50H with the combo as I have it going into a 412 loaded with GB's. But I was getting some hair and loose bottom at first.

I did 2 things. Put a 12AY7 in V1 and boost mildly with a Breakdown OD. I run mine at full power. MV about 3pm and gain from 2 to 3pm. Sometimes I add the amps own boost.

It sounds way better to me now than going straight in. More Plexi like with the lower gain tube in V1 which is where I like to be and I have more overall gain available. Plenty. If I want clean I roll back guitar volume.

ucnick

Reaction score
Good tips!
I'm finally going to be able to gig mine next Wed night at a winery in Morgan Hill. After 15 or 16 months. I bought the amp a few months ago and have been messing with it and waiting for a gig to use it. Finally.... the opportunity!

I did a test run last night using my pedalboard in 4CM running the amp into a not very broken in DV Mark neoclassic 112 plus, which is a largish 1x12 with closed back.

I ran at mid power setting, master at half, gain at half, and it was really loud. Great tip about running the gain up and volume down to thicken it up, just have to balance that with clean headroom.

Rig sounds great here, cannot wait to gig it!

Alestir

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I just sold my older rig which was a DSL40C (speaker unplugged) played through an Egnater Tourmaster 2x12. I kept the DSL on clean and ran a Wampler Pinnacle for dirt. Sounded pretty good, but a bit flubby on the low end. Might have been the Wampler? Not sure!

Anyway, I wanted a change and went with the Origin 50H through a Mesa Boogie 4x12. The dirt pedal I am using is a Friedman BE-OD. It sounds decent enough, but compared to my old rig it just sounds thin and raspy. Any ideas?

I would think this thing would be punchy and warm which the old rig had plenty of. I've been tinkering with the volume cranked, gain to taste, etc. Is the DSL just that much more warm and thick compared to the Origin? I am baffled honestly!

Thanks for any help

Alestir

Reaction score
Try an EQ or a BBE Maximizer(in the loop). Should get you some thump back in the signal.

Thanks for the reply. I have a MXR 10 band EQ that should be here in a few days. Maybe that will fix it up!

Could it possibly be the V30's in the Boogie cab that are the culprit? I had Creambacks in the Egnater cab.

I can't imagine that being an issue, but maybe?

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I have a MXR 10 band EQ that should be here in a few days. Maybe that will fix it up!

Could it possibly be the V30's in the Boogie cab that are the culprit? I had Creambacks in the Egnater cab.

I can't imagine that being an issue, but maybe?
The speakers make a huge difference with the Origin , and the MXR10 band eq will liven it up tremendously.
Cheers
Mitch

MarshallDog

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I just sold my older rig which was a DSL40C (speaker unplugged) played through an Egnater Tourmaster 2x12. I kept the DSL on clean and ran a Wampler Pinnacle for dirt. Sounded pretty good, but a bit flubby on the low end. Might have been the Wampler? Not sure!

Anyway, I wanted a change and went with the Origin 50H through a Mesa Boogie 4x12. The dirt pedal I am using is a Friedman BE-OD. It sounds decent enough, but compared to my old rig it just sounds thin and raspy. Any ideas?

I would think this thing would be punchy and warm which the old rig had plenty of. I've been tinkering with the volume cranked, gain to taste, etc. Is the DSL just that much more warm and thick compared to the Origin? I am baffled honestly!

Thanks for any help

Wow, I had a DSL and I now own and love an Origin! I would never ever think an Origin would be briter more ice picky than a DSL, seriously....????

Alestir

Reaction score
Wow, I had a DSL and I now own and love an Origin! I would never ever think an Origin would be briter more ice picky than a DSL, seriously....????

I know what i hear, and know what I like to hear. Its very thin. Maybe it isn't the Origin, but the Boogie cab?

Del Rei

Reaction score
@Mitchell Pearrow
Always good to see your videos, man!! :D

@ucnick
That’s good news, man!!
Hope you get even more in love with your amp!!! \o/
I’m still waiting for my next gig. Here in Brazil the vaccines are a bit slower…. But can’t wait to go on a gig again!!

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
@Mitchell Pearrow
Always good to see your videos, man!! :D

@ucnick
That’s good news, man!!
Hope you get even more in love with your amp!!! \o/
I’m still waiting for my next gig. Here in Brazil the vaccines are a bit slower…. But can’t wait to go on a gig again!!
Thank ya bro.
I am one of your subscribers.
And the compliment goes a long way buddy.
Cheers
Mitch

Alestir

Reaction score

MarshallDog

Reaction score