The Official Marshall Studio Classic Thread Sc20

• Thread starter scozz
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

coolidge56

Reaction score
The guitar string 'tick' is NOT an issue with the SC20H. I repeated the test with my Mesa TC-50, same guitar string 'tick' apparently its my electric personality. Mesa TC-50 effects loop tested good though, no pops when turning it on or off, no pops when turning the pedal on/off. Also tested the electrical outlet for ground fault, hot/neutral reverse etc. tested good.

Del Rei

Reaction score
The guitar string 'tick' is NOT an issue with the SC20H. I repeated the test with my Mesa TC-50, same guitar string 'tick' apparently its my electric personality. Mesa TC-50 effects loop tested good though, no pops when turning it on or off, no pops when turning the pedal on/off. Also tested the electrical outlet for ground fault, hot/neutral reverse etc. tested good.
I would suggest that about the tick issue. Looks like an electricity situation.

For the pop.... well... that’s the good side for those who can not buy these gear when it’s released. Maybe when I get a chance to buy it, they will have fixed the pop.
:/

doc mckenna

Reaction score
"The are only 4 in the entire state of California with Guitar Centers. Hollywood and Fountain Valley had one each. Don't know who else. I grabbed Fountain Valleys."

tenor.png

:D we wont see any for a month!
LAmusic has them and its a steal when you consider exchange (though this amp is super pricey compared to my Traynors) 1499CAD free delivery. I will wait it out to see some more reviews and any technical errors. I have major GAS for it though. Can't link to it because I am a longtime lurker but new member.
Now I just have to decide if I want plexi or JCM800 tones.

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
LAmusic has them and its a steal when you consider exchange (though this amp is super pricey compared to my Traynors) 1499CAD free delivery. I will wait it out to see some more reviews and any technical errors. I have major GAS for it though. Can't link to it because I am a longtime lurker but new member.
Thanks! There may be some duty and customs involved. I'm not sure. I'll wait till the local Long and McQuade gets them in to look. Sometimes the prices are very good. I got my Lzzy Hale Explorer last year for $2249 CDN at my dealer. They are currently 2299 US at Sam Ash.

I'm betting they will be 1499 CDN once they arrive.

rich88uk

Reaction score
Bit concerning that there is 3 of us with the pop issue. Will let you know what happens tomorrow when my replacement comes.

Tech wise, does anyone know what may be causing it?

rich88uk

Reaction score
Normally I'd say stray dc voltage leaking through... but it shouldn't affect buffered fx, only true bypass ones...

Most of my FX are true bypass. Ill have to try my old ibanez cs9 again from the 80s I think that is buffered. In layman terms if it is dc voltage leaking through, how is that resolved

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
Well disappointing, I have the effects loop POP plus see #4 below, guitar strings mini pop like something electrical is discharging.

Setup 1 - Amp and Voodoo Labs power supply plugged into a Furman Power Supply plugged into the wall outlet.

1. Loud POP when I press the effects loop on/off switch, Pedal off.
2. Loud POP when I press the effects loop on/off switch, Pedal On.
3. Pops when I turned the effects loop switch on and again when I turn it off.
4. Loud POP when I turn the pedal on, and again when I turn the pedal off.
5. Electrical 'tick' mini pop when I touch the guitar strings. Tried two different guitars, both are brand new Fender Americans.

Setup 2 - I unplugged the Furman, other amps, plugged the SC20H directly into the wall outlet. Plugged a 9vdc wall wart into the same outlet.

6. No change, same pops and the guitar string tick above.
7. Removed the pedal and cords, nothing plugged into the effects loop jack, same issues above.
That does suck bro, but welcome to the forum! Cheers Mitch

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
LAmusic has them and its a steal when you consider exchange (though this amp is super pricey compared to my Traynors) 1499CAD free delivery. I will wait it out to see some more reviews and any technical errors. I have major GAS for it though. Can't link to it because I am a longtime lurker but new member
Welcome to the forum

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really sad to have these random issues with 2 models in a row. At least the issues with the DSL made me wait to see what they had at NAMM, and result in me getting a SC20.

Yeah me too! I hesitated on the Dsl20 also because of the issues we kept hearing about. Well to be honest, that was one reason, NAMM was another.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
In case any of you mini 800 guys wondered?
I have the Studio Vintage and my loop is fine. No pops, no level changes. I put a jumper cable in loop and can't hear a discernable difference either on or off.

That’s exactly how my Studio Classic operates!

That brings me to a question. Have there been any Studio Vintage owners that have these issues?

We now know that @Michael Roe s’ Vintage is in good working order, what about the others?

Anyone hear/see/read about Studio Vintage owners having these problems?

Last edited:

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
That’s exactly how my Studio Classic operates!

That brings me to a question. Have there been any Studio Vintage owners that have these issues?

We now know that @Michael Roe s’ Vintage is in good working order, what about the others?

Anyone hear/see/read about Studio Vintage owners having these problems?

An interesting thing to check, if anyone with both amps were ambitious enough, would be to open them up and see if the loop board is the same in both amps. My guess is that both amps use the same loop PCB.

doc mckenna

Reaction score
Some more video clips:

I saw the Phil one yesterday and it is pretty close to the jube. The SV20 seems to have a little more beef to my ears than the SC20, just not the same gain. Great marshall tones all around. I am going to run my OCD into my Bassmaster tonight and see how close I can get tone wise. Never actually done it.

Great riffs on the second clip, makes me lean toward the classic.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My guess is that both amps use the same loop PCB.

You would think that right? I mean Marshall designed the effects loop of both of these amps independent of the originals,...Jcm 800 and the Plexi,....

....I mean neither of those original amps had effects loop so there’s nothing to re-issue like other features of these amps.