The Official Marshall Studio Classic Thread Sc20

• Thread starter scozz
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

johan.b

Reaction score
So, is it switching the loop on/ off that's pops...
or is it the fx on/bypass that pops?... just trying to make sense. .because it doesn't... unless there is stray dc voltage present.

rich88uk

Reaction score
I don't think there is a pop when you turn the loop on, but there is a volume drop.

When you stomp on an effect to kick it in, it pops. Providing there is a pedal in the loop.

If you stomp on pedals which are plugged in the front, no pop

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I don't think there is a pop when you turn the loop on, but there is a volume drop.

When you stomp on an effect to kick it in, it pops. Providing there is a pedal in the loop.

If you stomp on pedals which are plugged in the front, no pop
^ this

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know you were disappointed with the Dsl20 @pedecamp because of the compression in the red channel. I understand because my Dsl1hr does the same thing to some degree, but I was able to overcome most of it.

I don’t know if you remember me telling you about changing out the V1 position 12AX7 in my Dsl1hr, to a 5751? But that alone did not solve the amount of compression. But what did make a world of difference in reducing the compression, along with the 5751, was having the gain knob set to 2 or 3, barely on.

With the gain set there and the volume dimed I’m getting a great AC/DC tone in the red channel. Now of course it’s only 1 watt so having the volume on 10 is not ear shattering.

With these settings I’m getting very close to the tone of my new Classic. I’m going to a/b them tonight.

Now I’m not suggesting this would work with the Dsl20, but it certainly might help. With less gain to begin with, (5751 tube), and a very low setting on the gain knob, I would think this might have a somewhat similar result.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok I’ve had a few more minutes with this amp and right now I’m thinking it’s a keeper. (I reserve the right to change my mind in the coming weeks!)

I’m impressed with how good this amp sounds at low volumes! This was a big concern for me being a at home player. This amp sounds great!! This is the tone I’ve had in my head for a while now, and I used to think the only way to get it was at searing high volumes, but that’s not the case.

I am equally impressed with the 5 watt mode,...it sounds great also! No way this is pentode/triode,...because there is virtually no loss of tone when using it! Maybe, MAYBE, a slight, (and I mean slight), loss of bottom end.

But nothing like the pentode/triode amps I’ve used in the past. They would typically sound like a large wool blanket covered the speaker.

If I have any complaint about this amp it would be it’s brightness, it’s a bright sounding amp imo. Other than that no complaints.

Also, it’s quiet, no noise whatsoever. Effects loops works great, no popping like @pedecamp experienced with his. I feel bad for him because he was disappointed with the Dsl20 he bought and now he has to return the Studio Classic he just got. That sucks when you’re excited about getting a new amp and then there’s something wrong with it. I’m sure the next one he gets will be perfect!!

Anyway that all I've got to say right now,....great little amp that sounds killer!!

Moony

Reaction score
If I have any complaint about this amp it would be it’s brightness, it’s a bright sounding amp imo. Other than that no complaints.

If I've seen that right, the caps of the tonestack are fitted on the small pcb with the pots - you could easily change the ceramic treble cap from the stock 470p to 390p - maybe that helps a bit with the brightness (additional maybe the 33k slope resistor to 39k). I don't think, that you'll lose much of the aggressive JCM800 roar then.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I know you were disappointed with the Dsl20 @pedecamp because of the compression in the red channel. I understand because my Dsl1hr does the same thing to some degree, but I was able to overcome most of it.

I don’t know if you remember me telling you about changing out the V1 position 12AX7 in my Dsl1hr, to a 5751? But that alone did not solve the amount of compression. But what did make a world of difference in reducing the compression, along with the 5751, was having the gain knob set to 2 or 3, barely on.

With the gain set there and the volume dimed I’m getting a great AC/DC tone in the red channel. Now of course it’s only 1 watt so having the volume on 10 is not ear shattering.

With these settings I’m getting very close to the tone of my new Classic. I’m going to a/b them tonight.

Now I’m not suggesting this would work with the Dsl20, but it certainly might help. With less gain to begin with, (5751 tube), and a very low setting on the gain knob, I would think this might have a somewhat similar result.
I had a DSL50 for a number of years and recognize the same compression in the new amps as the old. Its a DSL thing, thats how they were designed and alot of people like it that way, I just dont.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
If I've seen that right, the caps of the tonestack are fitted on the small pcb with the pots - you could easily change the ceramic treble cap from the stock 470p to 390p - maybe that helps a bit with the brightness (additional maybe the 33k slope resistor to 39k). I don't think, that you'll lose much of the aggressive JCM800 roar then.
Or turn the bass up LOL. You techies are funny, always wanna get a soldering iron involved even in a new amp LOL.