The Official Marshall Studio Classic Thread Sc20

• Thread starter scozz
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Moony

Reaction score
To me, the SC head sounded much better thru the two cabinets loaded with 12s than the combo thru the 10.

In the GAK music video I felt the other way round - I liked the sound of the combo better there:

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
Yea Long & McQuade finally have them on their site.

$1500 CAD for a single channel, 20 watt head or, $1700 for the 10" combo

I "Like" Marshall, but i'm not paying that.

I should add, mainly cause I am still in honeymoon with the 5150 III 50 watt head I got last fall. If I hadn't bought it, I would really be considering these new Studio heads, but still, the 5150 was $1300, and imho the full package. Marshall did great with this line, but imho, the asking price is just too much for what it is.
Our other guitarist uses a 5150 III (50 watt). It sounds good, but more like a Jubilee, more lower mids focused (IMO). I use an Axe Fx II and the JCM800 amp model. Everyone says I sound "trebley", when sound checking, then when we play as a band, they complain they can't hear the other guitarist.:shrug:

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
Our other guitarist uses a 5150 III (50 watt). It sounds good, but more like a Jubilee, more lower mids focused (IMO). I use an Axe Fx II and the JCM800 amp model. Everyone says I sound "trebley", when sound checking, then when we play as a band, they complain they can't hear the other guitarist.:shrug:
Just as I had said in another thread, for what it worth my grandson and his buddies where having a little jam one day and I sat in, for a short song, the other guitarist running through my grandsons rig couldn’t hear him self, we had set volume to match, and kept turning up till he could, and was drowning the drums! He could not figure it out, all in the eq baby! Cheers Mitch

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
Just as I had said in another thread, for what it worth my grandson and his buddies where having a little jam one day and I sat in, for a short song, the other guitarist running through my grandsons rig couldn’t hear him self, we had set volume to match, and kept turning up till he could, and was drowning the drums! He could not figure it out, all in the eq baby! Cheers Mitch
Exactly, I had the other Guitarist max his Treble, with Presence fairly high, and still couldn't hear is lead (we trade off on lead). He's got a few boost pedals, which help, but seems he's always trying to overcome the amps core tone.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m really struggling with myself on whether I should send my SC head back because of the lower volume in the loop issue.

It really doesn’t bother me as far as tone or volume go, because I’m a at home player, and this thing sounds great! This amps got plenty of volume for my needs, in fact the lower volume thing might be beneficial to me.

But on the other hand I’ve spent a lot of money on this amp and I want my amp to be right,....not have some kind of defect so to speak.

Any suggestions?

rich88uk

Reaction score
I’m really struggling with myself on whether I should send my SC head back because of the lower volume in the loop issue.

It really doesn’t bother me as far as tone or volume go, because I’m a at home player, and this thing sounds great! This amps got plenty of volume for my needs, in fact the lower volume thing might be beneficial to me.

But on the other hand I’ve spent a lot of money on this amp and I want my amp to be right,....not have some kind of defect so to speak.

Any suggestions?

They will all be the same. Marshall have confirmed to me over the phone volume drop is normal

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I'm not trying to scare you, but there were well known issues with the 6505MH, too.
When the amp overheats it shuts its volume down. You can find discussions about that on the Sevenstring forum.
Maybe Peavey has fixed that already, I don't know.
I spoke to Peavey and they fixed the problem 3 years ago. Its not an overheating problem, the device that triggers the TSI LED needs to have its value increased, they have a part to fix it. So on any old ones if run in 1 and 5 watt modes and played loud and long durations can cause a false alarm and shut the amp down. So either play it at 20 watts or replace F104 and F105 with part number 30250313. Doesn't sound so bad to me now...

Bloodrock

Reaction score

Any suggestions?

I’d return it for another or return it and wait a bit until they get the bugs worked out. If you’re not completely happy now, you won’t be later if you keep it

Moony

Reaction score

Honestly, if there are already a few of these amps out there, which have that issue, I think, that's due to it's design - and I don't believe, that there are different SC20 versions with different circuits around for this brand new release.
I rather believe, that some people may notice that more than others. And of course it will be influenced by the volume of the amp and the sort of pedals, you use.

Moony

Reaction score
I spoke to Peavey and they fixed the problem 3 years ago. Its not an overheating problem, the device that triggers the TSI LED needs to have its value increased, they have a part to fix it. So on any old ones if run in 1 and 5 watt modes and played loud and long durations can cause a false alarm and shut the amp down. So either play it at 20 watts or replace F104 and F105 with part number 30250313. Doesn't sound so bad to me now...

Thanks for getting back to this!
I wasn't up to date with this topic, just had that back in my mind and thought, it doesn't hurt to tell you that's better to get more information about that issue before buying.
So have fun with your 6505MH, it's a cool amp!

Kutt

Reaction score
How is it “normal “ when not all the amps do it?

Marshall calls it "normal". It seems the truth of the matter is that it's a byproduct of the design. In their eyes, because they all do it, it's deemed "normal". Wordsmithing.

All of those Takata vehicle air bags can eject fragments and maim you. Is that "normal" because they all do it?

FWIW I ordered one this week. I've read that a buffered pedal in the loop does not induce the volume drop. If that's the case I may be able to live with it as a BOSS DD-7 is my preferred pedal of choice in a loop.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
They will all be the same. Marshall have confirmed to me over the phone volume drop is normal

Oh, I didn’t know that. I sent them an email but I haven’t heard back from them yet.

May I ask you what exactly they said or anything else they said.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
FWIW I ordered one this week. I've read that a buffered pedal in the loop does not induce the volume drop. If that's the case I may be able to live with it as a BOSS DD-7 is my preferred pedal of choice in a loop.

I read that too, but how does one know what pedals are buffered and ones that are not?

Kutt

Reaction score
I read that too, but how does one know what pedals are buffered and ones that are not?

You'd have to research it ahead of time or test it for yourself I suppose. All BOSS pedals are buffered, so I'm rolling the dice and will find out soon enough how it'll behave.

Moony

Reaction score
Any suggestions?

So if these "effect loop issues" are "normal" I wouldn't send the amp back to get a new one, especially if you like the sound of that particular one, that you've already got.
There are always some tolerances of the parts (tubes, pots, caps...) so that no SC20 will sound 100,0% exactly the same as the next one. If you get a new one, maybe it will have a bad sounding tube or whatever. Wouldn't risk that, if it was my amp.