The Official Marshall Studio Classic Thread Sc20

• Thread starter scozz
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

bad565ss

Reaction score
I don't see what the big deal is with the small volume drop in through the loop. If it isn't on a foot switch
you'll never deal with it while actually playing, right? Unless it's an actual parts failure or defect I wouldn't
care. I'd play the crap out of it hard until the return window is coming up and make a decision then but the loop as it stands ( as long as it worked ) wouldn't bother me if the amp is still running good.

Moony

Reaction score
I don't see what the big deal is with the small volume drop in through the loop. If it isn't on a foot switch
you'll never deal with it while actually playing, right?

But if you go to the amp and switch on the loop and forget to adjust the volume knob while playing your solo? :scratch:

Just kiddin' ;):D

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
Yeah if the loop is always left on, what's the difference?? If it's turned off I would think it isn't mid gig. Use a buffered pedal for the pop and adjust volume knob accordingly when loop is on.
The Jubilee series loses a touch of volume when tne rhythm clip is engaged. This is not footswitchable. So compensate and play.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
you'll never deal with it while actually playing, right? Unless it's an actual parts failure or defect I wouldn't
care. I'd play the crap out of it hard until the return window is coming up and make a decision then but the loop as it stands ( as long as it worked ) wouldn't bother me if the amp is still running good.

Yeah, I tend to agree with this!

atarilovesyou

Reaction score
I'm not specifically used to Marshall prices, but I'm used to electronic devices' prices, and that's what an amp basically is. It's an electronic product just like a TV, a Hifi-System or a Playstation.

I'm not really sure whether comparing a 20W amp to a 100W amp is legit, because the bigger part of the retail price is not in the electronic parts. I wouldn't be suprised if the production cost of both amps were roughly the same, as long as both amps are being produced in the same facility. I don't believe one can expect a 20W amp to be significantly cheaper just because of lower wattage, while everything else in and around the product costs basically the same.

I've read from some amp designers that smaller heads don't cost much less than a larger head, for some of the reasons you mentioned. I don't agree completely, but let's just leave it at that. Pointless to discuss it when nobody really knows.

What I do know for 100% fact is what I already experienced: a brand new, taxes in JVM 410H head cost me 1600 CDN in 2010, and now they cost almost $2400 without taxes. These new 20 watters cost more here in Canada than what I paid for the flagship Marshall. Labour costs don't explain it, nor does inflation or parts or any other reason I can think of. It just 'is'. Marshall was, arguably, even more popular then than it is now. So I find it tough to pony up the cash for one of these smaller amps knowing what I paid for my 100 watt.

At the end of the day, you're paying for Marshall tone and no matter how they slice it, it's gonna cost ya. Unless you go for their imported stuff, or used. I'm going to go used for these 20 watters once the action dies down a bit.

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
just realized, havnt used a loop in a long time
just realized, havnt used a loop in a long time
Shit I only used it once on my origin just to see if it worked, it did, and I proceeded to do what what I have done with the 40c’s, and use the send to feed another amp, but then that is how I use them! Cheers Mitch

Solid State

Reaction score
At the end of the day, you're paying for Marshall tone and no matter how they slice it, it's gonna cost ya. Unless you go for their imported stuff, or used. I'm going to go used for these 20 watters once the action dies down a bit.

Used mini Jubes are holding their price so these probably will as well. Still, if you catch one of these tin foil hat wearing "teh l00p issuez!" folks on a day when he's feeling particularly victimized by his horrendously poppy pedals, you may get one for next to nothing. I'm not saying stalk forums looking for complainers, but..you know...stalk forums. Follow the complainers.

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
It's not a big deal, if it doesn't concern the user. Some users are more particular about these things than others (I happen to be one of those users). That's really all there is to it, if the user is not satisfied, they should return it, if they are, keep it.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Thanks for getting back to this!
I wasn't up to date with this topic, just had that back in my mind and thought, it doesn't hurt to tell you that's better to get more information about that issue before buying.
So have fun with your 6505MH, it's a cool amp!
Got the Peavey, so far so good, I'll post about it somewhere else.

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
I was playing around with the SC20 a little more today. I find that there are some pretty cool tones when running the master volume fairly high (or maxed), and using the preamp gain as the overall volume control. The amp seems much more sensitive to picking dynamics this way (IMO).

Len

Reaction score
I was playing around with the SC20 a little more today. I find that there are some pretty cool tones when running the master volume fairly high (or maxed), and using the preamp gain as the overall volume control. The amp seems much more sensitive to picking dynamics this way (IMO).
That’s how Billy Corgan of the Smashing Pumpkins used to run his Marshalls.

kustombob

Reaction score
I thought the SC20 had the best tone. The Bogner sound somewhat fizzy' The Geronimo sounded real close to the SC20 but I liked the SC20 best in those clips. Just a perfect classic rock tone. Their is super fine line between where a amp's distortion sounds warm and creamy or its fizzy.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Hmm, I'm wondering if Marshall will come out with a JCM8LF pedal? The "JCM 800 Loop Fixer" :)
A buffered pedal with a fixed built in volume boost.
What they need to do is get off their @$$ and make this right sooner than later. :pissed:

Len

Reaction score
What they need to do is get off their @$$ and make this right sooner than later. :pissed:
Have you considered that the loop was just designed for buffered pedals? Like Soldano loops are designed for certain impedance pedals? Just because it doesn’t work the way you want it to doesn’t mean it’s a design mistake.