The Official Marshall Studio Vintage Thread Sv20h

• Thread starter Michael Roe
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Peter Foulk

Reaction score
Hi All, I'm new to the forum and new to the SV20c... and I'm hoping you can advise. I've been avoiding pulling the trigger on one of these until I picked one up in a sweet deal last week. This is my dream amp... with some flaws. Firstly, it's hellu-loud! Which of course is a good thing unless your playing at home. I found a volume pedal in the fx loop did a great job of keeping things sensible, so I've bought a dedicated little fx loop attenuator box to do the job of a master volume.
This isn't just a home practice amp. I will be using it in a eyewateringly loud rock band both for rehearsals and gigs.
I plugged the amp into a greenback loaded cab I have, and it just sounded awesome. The stock speaker sounds very boxy in comparison. Okay, it's brand new and stiff, but I'm wondering if you guys can tell me if it breaks in nicely, or it stays sounding boxy? It doesn't sound bad, but compared to the 12" loaded Greenback, it's missing a lot of beef and spread. I've considered upgrading it to an Eminence RF10c - Red Fang Ceramic (very efficient, supposed to sound a bit more like a 12") or even an Alnico Gold. Then I saw that some of you are chucking a 12" speaker in there. I really didn't think there would be room. Your advice on getting the best out f here would be much appreciated! Cheers! P

Last edited:

tce63

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can´t tell you about the SV20C, I have the SV20H with SV212C, and in the beginning the speakers didn´t sound great, but after +30 Hours it start singing, sounds fantastic now.
And :welcome: to the forum, a great place

Last edited:

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi All, I'm new to the forum and new to the SV20c... and I'm hoping you can advise. I've been avoiding pulling the trigger on one of these until I picked one up in a sweet deal last week. This is my dream amp... with some flaws. Firstly, it's hellu-loud! Which of course is a good thing unless your playing at home. I found a volume pedal in the fx loop did a great job of keeping things sensible, so I've bought a dedicated little fx loop attenuator box to do the job of a master volume.
This isn't just a home practice amp. I will be using it in a eyewateringly loud rock band both for rehearsals and gigs.
I plugged the amp into a greenback loaded cab I have, and it just sounded awesome. The stock speaker sounds very boxy in comparison. Okay, it's brand new and stiff, but I'm wondering if you guys can tell me if it breaks in nicely, or it stays sounding boxy? It doesn't sound bad, but compared to the 12" loaded Greenback, it's missing a lot of beef and spread. I've considered upgrading it to an Eminence RF10c - Red Fang Ceramic (very efficient, supposed to sound a bit more like a 12") or even an Alnico Gold. Then I saw that some of you are chucking a 12" speaker in there. I really didn't think there would be room. Your advice on getting the best out f here would be much appreciated! Cheers! P
Welcome to the forum .
You are going to love this place.
And congratulations on your new amp!!
Mitch

ken361

Reaction score
I think mine sounds better over time, put Tungsol power tubes in it gave it a nice crunch. Combos can sound different like warm or brighter depends where im playing.

Peter Foulk

Reaction score
A shout out to Lazy Bear effects for the little attenuator I bought off eBay for peanuts. Run in the effects loop it's brilliant for taming the Studio Vintage for home volumes, and the tone is still most pleasing! I know, I know, why by a non-master volume amp and then run a master volume in the loop. I don't have a rational answer for that, but I just love that plexi tone!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200121-001646_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20200121-001646_eBay.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 17

ken361

Reaction score
A shout out to Lazy Bear effects for the little attenuator I bought off eBay for peanuts. Run in the effects loop it's brilliant for taming the Studio Vintage for home volumes, and the tone is still most pleasing! I know, I know, why by a non-master volume amp and then run a master volume in the loop. I don't have a rational answer for that, but I just love that plexi tone!
Using a quality patch helps some when jumping the channels, bought a Livewire Elite guitar cable it sounds good I like it better then my Mogami by some. Fender Hendrix cable is good also ! I though mine was going out making some noise but maybe it was my EVH guitar.

LavaLord

Reaction score
marshallstudiovintagem5ky9.jpg

LavaLord

Reaction score
Woops that post got away from me.
I got some new pre-amp tubes that I want to try out. I found this photo on another forum and would like someone to set me straight. As I look at the 12AX7,s is V1 on the left moving down to V3 the shielded tube on the right? Or the other way around?

lp1987x

Reaction score
Woops that post got away from me.
I got some new pre-amp tubes that I want to try out. I found this photo on another forum and would like someone to set me straight. As I look at the 12AX7,s is V1 on the left moving down to V3 the shielded tube on the right? Or the other way around?

V1 has the shield, V3 is the phase inverter tube, and is closest to the power tubes.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I got one too I have a JHS volume box in the loop, its an absolute must for home play and works very well. :yesway:

LavaLord

Reaction score
V1 has the shield, V3 is the phase inverter tube, and is closest to the power tubes.
Thank you sir! Seams obvious now but I had a momentary laps of clarity.
I'm going to try this set of tubes recommended to me by Doug's Tubes.
A pair of RubyEL34BSTR's, Mullard CV4004, Sovtek12AX7WC and a Ruby12AX7AC7HG
I just installed a Scumback M75-PVC and a J75-PVC in my little Mesa Stiletto 2x12 cabinet. They sound awesome with the SV20H.
I should be ready to make some noise now.

G the wildman

Reaction score
Another tone/boost question that you real musicians might be able to help a fledgling with.

When Izzy moves from chorus to verse playing Sweet Child O Mine do you guys that cover that hit a transparent boost, overdrive or just hit those strings harder and let the SV to the work.

Look forward to your valued help as always.

Thank you.

G

WellBurnTheSky

Reaction score
Izzy used Mesas in GnR, so there is that.
But you can easily go from clean-ish to crunch on the SV with switching from a single coil to a humbucker. Or roll off/on the volume knob and hit strings softer/harder to achieve that. This actually is one of the things I love about this amp, it cleans up with controls and right hand dynamics amazingly.

trovador

Reaction score
Izzy used Mesas in GnR, so there is that.
But you can easily go from clean-ish to crunch on the SV with switching from a single coil to a humbucker. Or roll off/on the volume knob and hit strings softer/harder to achieve that. This actually is one of the things I love about this amp, it cleans up with controls and right hand dynamics amazingly.
Yup, volume know is your friend. Having a quality volume pot with an even sweep makes this amp very versatile. In some cases, depending on the music that you play, you don't even need a booster.

And yes, this amp is also sensitive to picking and strumming dynamics.