• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

The Official Marshall Studio Vintage Thread Sv20h

• Thread starter Michael Roe
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Andy79

Reaction score
I was lucky enough to get a SV20H through the GC website this weekend and it arrived yesterday.

Everything said absolutely rings true...particularly the LOUDNESS. I can play pretty loud at home, but I do need to attenuate this. I went the JHS route, and I'm actually pleased.

With a Les Paul my sound clips sound very close in gain level to most others (youtube clips) when not using an OD pedal in front of the amp. At some point, I will open-it-up and see what I'm missing.

The 1-watters are the only thing that got me close to what I have today. This is a great series!

Having the SC and SV stacks next to each other looks the absolute dogs bollocks! Great practice space.

FleshOnGear

Harmonic Hermit
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just got the Fryette PS2 yesterday. Most of my amps are in a small room and getting them in their operating range for best response would cause me to go deaf!
First thing I did was test the PP2 w/ the SV20. Mind you, up till now I'd been setting the SV20 clean and using pedals, which is cool but I'm always trying to dial out the highs due to the Bright Cap in the amp.
Anyway, it's a real pleasure to be able to get the Volume (s) up around noon to 3:00 and not get blown out of the room. It actually, IMO becomes a different amp (then the way I was previously using it) The Tone knobs are less super-sensitive, easier to blend the Channel Volumes. Also, the touch sensitivity between your fingers on the guitar and the amp response is very addictive. I was testing/ playing w/ no OD pedals, just seeing what the amp can do. It's freekin' awesome!
Another plus is I don't have to use the SV20's Effects Loop. I can run delay/ reverb thru the PS2.

PS, The PS2 also worked excellent w/ the SC20 and the Origin 50. All amps really shined finally being able to get their volumes up without getting my ears killed.

136464643_10224731823986944_4265496957220564439_n.jpg
Glad the PS2 is working out for you! Do us a favor, will you? Please start a thread about the Sound City in Other Amps. I’d love to hear all about that one.

Biff Maloy

Reaction score
Thanks @copilot great post ! Tbh I'm quite tempted to get a PS2,to me the load/reamp idea is much more appealing than using an attenuator, especially for my use case.

I'm with you on that. I have a Bad Cat Unleash, has an on/off switch that is not dependable i need to fix, but i like having that extra asset to go much bigger than the SV20H can put out if needed. Plus, time based effects post amp really sounds great in that spot in the signal. It's sorta like having a wet/dry without the additional amp needed. The effects seem seperate from the amp tone. I used it in the past with my 50th Anniversary Marshalls.

Biff Maloy

Reaction score
I just ordered an SV20H in white........:cheers:
I already have a V Type (which I love) in my DSL40cr, gonna try something different for the 112 cab I am going to use with the SV..........Any input appreciated!

Those white ones look great.

I like my Heritage G12H55hz in a single with my SV20H. I don't have this one yet but i have a good feeling about a Ruby Alnico for a permanent place in that open back 1x12.

Also, for 5 watt use, i use my Heritage G12M20. 96db speaker which sounds very good and also cuts a little volume off.

5stringsdown

Reaction score
Those white ones look great.

I like my Heritage G12H55hz in a single with my SV20H. I don't have this one yet but i have a good feeling about a Ruby Alnico for a permanent place in that open back 1x12.

Also, for 5 watt use, i use my Heritage G12M20. 96db speaker which sounds very good and also cuts a little volume off.
Thanks Bill!

mojodelic

Reaction score
I've come full circle- last week I got an SC20C- I really wanted to make the mini JCM800 work. It didn't (too much gain) so I got an ORI20C- nice amp but just not "it". Today I finally got what I've wanted all along, an SV20C.

Not my first rodeo, two Blackstars, a tweed Bjr & a homemade 5F1 that I built during the covid shutdown last year. I've also owned a '65 BFDR (the real thing, not a reissue) a Twin and a Super Six from the 70's.

This is by far the best amp I've ever owned! The Origin & Studio Classic are great amps; I just seem to bond with this one. Next will be a vol pot in the loop & of course the obligatory jump cable. I already have an SD1. One surprising revelation- my Helix LT sounds amazing with this amp (I know it's not supposed to), whatever.

Thanks for all the previous posts, I've learned a lot from all of you.

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
I've come full circle- last week I got an SC20C- I really wanted to make the mini JCM800 work. It didn't (too much gain) so I got an ORI20C- nice amp but just not "it". Today I finally got what I've wanted all along, an SV20C.

Not my first rodeo, two Blackstars, a tweed Bjr & a homemade 5F1 that I built during the covid shutdown last year. I've also owned a '65 BFDR (the real thing, not a reissue) a Twin and a Super Six from the 70's.

This is by far the best amp I've ever owned! The Origin & Studio Classic are great amps; I just seem to bond with this one. Next will be a vol pot in the loop & of course the obligatory jump cable. I already have an SD1. One surprising revelation- my Helix LT sounds amazing with this amp (I know it's not supposed to), whatever.

Welcome to the forum
HNAD glad you got your tone sorted.
Cheers
Mitch

G the wildman

Reaction score
I just ordered a Spark Boost to Play with through my SV. It was as cheap as chips so just hit the button.

I don't need it but hey I don't need 4 amplifiers either.

My Spark Boost arrived today. It is currently back in its box as I don't need it in my music room. But what a great clean boost with a few subtle extras if needed. It will defo be coming to music group with me post Covid. Perfect for a lead boost that does not change one's tone as so many Overdrive pedals do.

Verdict: a very good purchase.

Last edited:

tce63

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Spark Boost arrived today. It is currently back in its box as I don't need it in my music room. But what a great clean boost with a few subtle extras if needed. It will defo be coming to music group with me post Covid. Perfect for a lead boost that does not change one's tone as so many Overdrive pedals do.

Verdict: a very good purchase.

I have 2 of them as you may know, the only pedals I need and a HOF

Last edited:

FleshOnGear

Harmonic Hermit
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

Glad you love it! I’ve been getting the best tones I’ve ever had out of mine!