The Recording Thread

• Thread starter blues_n_cues
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

blues_n_cues

VIP Member
Reaction score
testing Mixcraft 8 Beta & it's got a lot of nice new features.

just a few-
VST3 Support
* MP4 Video Load & Render!
* Performance Panel Record To Slot
* Support for sidechaining plug-ins
* Audio Control of plug-in parameters
* Unlimited nesting of submixes
* Selection & Linking of multiple tracks
* A powerful new sound engine with full plug-in delay compensation on all track types
* Improved, customizable mixer
* Integrated file browser
* Search and use tens of thousands of free sounds from freesound.org
* Mix Stems feature for mixing a project down to individual tracks
* Record all plug-in automation
* Transmit MIDI clock/sync
* View effects list directly in track view
* Ctrl-Solo, Ctrl-Mute to exclusively mute or solo a track
* Auto-quantize MIDI recording option

the PRO version will have a lot of new stuff too but that's not quite ready yet.

blues_n_cues

VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds great man, you may make a convert outta me yet :cheers:

the new layout (using 2 monitors)-
Mixcraft%208%20screen%20shot_zpshnhryh8q.jpg

blues_n_cues

VIP Member
Reaction score
once again.. this should have been it's own section years ago.........
you can't even rewind SC plays..
anyway........
guitarists- double track your tracks live. there is no other way to make them sound bigger. it just takes practice.. same w/ vocals.. Mick Jagger & Ozzy got it.. nope... delaying,offseting digitally... NOPE..... the only thing on the face of the Earth to make your tracks & leads sound fatter is to double track them manually & be good with it. it takes practice & with home studios doesn't cost a lot to learn your own off-the-cuff leads the second time.
take my word for it or listen to my songs.. and if ya don't believe me.. Randy Rhoads did it even better because tape was more expensive & he hasd less time... (that ain't really true-lol)

Frodebro

Reaction score
anyway........
guitarists- double track your tracks live. there is no other way to make them sound bigger. it just takes practice.. same w/ vocals.. Mick Jagger & Ozzy got it.. nope... delaying,offseting digitally... NOPE..... the only thing on the face of the Earth to make your tracks & leads sound fatter is to double track them manually & be good with it. it takes practice & with home studios doesn't cost a lot to learn your own off-the-cuff leads the second time.
take my word for it or listen to my songs.. and if ya don't believe me.. Randy Rhoads did it even better because tape was more expensive & he hasd less time... (that ain't really true-lol)

I almost always use a Telecaster with a cleaner tone when double (or triple) tracking, it really adds to the overall sound.

JimiRules

Reaction score
testing Mixcraft 8 Beta & it's got a lot of nice new features.

just a few-
VST3 Support
* MP4 Video Load & Render!
* Performance Panel Record To Slot
* Support for sidechaining plug-ins
* Audio Control of plug-in parameters
* Unlimited nesting of submixes
* Selection & Linking of multiple tracks
* A powerful new sound engine with full plug-in delay compensation on all track types
* Improved, customizable mixer
* Integrated file browser
* Search and use tens of thousands of free sounds from freesound.org
* Mix Stems feature for mixing a project down to individual tracks
* Record all plug-in automation
* Transmit MIDI clock/sync
* View effects list directly in track view
* Ctrl-Solo, Ctrl-Mute to exclusively mute or solo a track
* Auto-quantize MIDI recording option

the PRO version will have a lot of new stuff too but that's not quite ready yet.

That sounds great. Is it possible to upgrade from Mixcraft 6 to 8 when it comes out, or do you have to have 7 in order to upgrade to 8?

Coronado

Reaction score
this one always kicks my a**........
the vocals are basically scratch but the fact that it's KRK 8's @ 35% volume w/ a 10% treble reduxtion and great treatment is vibrating my 15x25 room..........

I really dig this Blues... Vocals are great, love the bass. Got a very cool feel to it!!!

Cthulhu

Reaction score
Reamping Question:

I have a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2. I know I need a reamper in order to successfully reamp, but do I still need a DI box in between my guitar and 2i2, or can I plug my guitar directly into my 2i2? I guess to put it simply, does my 2i2 eliminate the need for the DI box?

JimiRules

Reaction score
the new layout (using 2 monitors)-
Mixcraft%208%20screen%20shot_zpshnhryh8q.jpg
anyway........

We just started recording our next album and I tried manually double tracking. On our last one I just played the part once, cloned it on mixcraft and panned one left, one right and eq'd them a bit differently. I thought it sounded pretty good, but on this one after reading all over the net about manually double tracking I decided to give it a go. I also went with less gain. A lot less gain. I pretty much just plugged straight into my YJM, cranked it to where it was a bit broken up and beat the hell out of the guitar to crunch it up. No boost pedals, no nothing. I played it once, and then went back and overdubbed another go. When I listened to the track on my tascam I wasn't really happy. I thought the guitar sound was weak, but once I loaded it all into mixcraft, added some compression and EQ and panned them how I wanted them I couldn't believe how huge it sounded, and it sounded like I was using twice the gain than I actually was. I'm definitely a believer of this method.

blues_n_cues

VIP Member
Reaction score
We just started recording our next album and I tried manually double tracking. On our last one I just played the part once, cloned it on mixcraft and panned one left, one right and eq'd them a bit differently. I thought it sounded pretty good, but on this one after reading all over the net about manually double tracking I decided to give it a go. I also went with less gain. A lot less gain. I pretty much just plugged straight into my YJM, cranked it to where it was a bit broken up and beat the hell out of the guitar to crunch it up. No boost pedals, no nothing. I played it once, and then went back and overdubbed another go. When I listened to the track on my tascam I wasn't really happy. I thought the guitar sound was weak, but once I loaded it all into mixcraft, added some compression and EQ and panned them how I wanted them I couldn't believe how huge it sounded, and it sounded like I was using twice the gain than I actually was. I'm definitely a believer of this method.

the way I usually do it when using that method is to record the main track Stereo-main tone Left w/ a slightly longer delay on the right,then the "cleaner" track in the middle but back a bit in the mix. all of the above work & sound huge. that pedal listed above kinda just saves you time,but yeah,NOTHING done digitally or copy/paste will sound as big as manual double tracking because you can NEVER do the same part twice exactly the same.. there will be slight inflections & that's what makes it great.

JimiRules

Reaction score
the way I usually do it when using that method is to record the main track Stereo-main tone Left w/ a slightly longer delay on the right,then the "cleaner" track in the middle but back a bit in the mix. all of the above work & sound huge. that pedal listed above kinda just saves you time,but yeah,NOTHING done digitally or copy/paste will sound as big as manual double tracking because you can NEVER do the same part twice exactly the same.. there will be slight inflections & that's what makes it great.

I'll have to try putting a clean sound in the middle.

Not being able to play the part the exact same way was what always scared me away from doing it and what made me think the copy and paste method would be better, but like you said, the "imperfections" is what made the difference. Especially when you listen to the track with headphones.

Sound Of A Gun

Reaction score
Reamping Question:

I have a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2. I know I need a reamper in order to successfully reamp, but do I still need a DI box in between my guitar and 2i2, or can I plug my guitar directly into my 2i2? I guess to put it simply, does my 2i2 eliminate the need for the DI box?

Not sure if you sorted this out, but the instrument setting near your input on the interface turns it into a Hi-Z input by adding a 10db boost to the signal, so you shouldn't need a DI box.

Coronado

Reaction score

I find the same results - I will do 4 - 6 rhythm guitar tracks and pan 3 hard left, and 3 hard right (sometimes not quite all the way right and left). I noticed that individually, the track may have the right amount of gain. Mixed with other tracks, it tends to get a bit too muddy and thick. I pull back my gain quite a bit and try to shoot for a more well rounded tone than overall gain. It seems to help when blending the tracks. I also will use different amps and cabs (and guitars). The JCM800 with V30's and 75's are often a bit bright, and they seem to balance out nicely with the H30 from my Orange and DSL.

Blues is right on with the double tracking of leads (an idea he clued me in on a few years back). It really helps bring out your leads and helps them stand out. For my leads, I will do 2 tracks, both panned up the middle, with one being slightly more bright than the next. I often will turn off the delay and reverb when I do 2 lead tracks - sometimes for me, the delay and reverb almost bump into each other. I bet if I played them exactly in sync, I wouldn't have this problem. :D

Coronado

Reaction score
I'll have to try putting a clean sound in the middle.

Not being able to play the part the exact same way was what always scared me away from doing it and what made me think the copy and paste method would be better, but like you said, the "imperfections" is what made the difference. Especially when you listen to the track with headphones.

Right on!! Before Blues taught me this technique, I thought why not just copy the lead track? That will save time, AND it will be a perfect match! Unfortunately, it doesn't translate very well. You are so right - those slight differences help bring out that stereo sound, and gives it that cool sound. Who knew that playing an imperfect match would actually make it sound better?! :D :yesway: