• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

The two Guv'nor pedals

• Thread starter 357mag
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

357mag

Reaction score
I used to own and play through a GV-2 Guv'nor Plus which if I recall correctly sounded pretty good. I was totally unaware that there was a pedal just called The Guv'nor. Bigger and black. What is the difference between the two? Looks like the Guv'nor cost quite a bit more. Does one pedal have more gain or something or a smoother sound?

V-man

Reaction score
At a minimum, you have a rugged metal enclosure vs what I perceive is cheap plastic (road rugged vs questionable). Per my plastic Ibanez ST pedal experience (vs their TS9/808), the switch was more dodgey and had SMD construction making it harder to repair replace or modify internal components. The Guv’nor also has an FX loop to stack other dirt or loop delay/mod fX.

As for compelling differences in sound, I couldn’t tell you, but Guv’nors sold for high dollars while discontinued w no reissue and the GV-2 was pretty much always regarded as a cheap pedal

Trelwheen

Delicious AND Satisfying
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
The big black ones are reissues of the original big black ones introduced in the 1990s.

I've got an original first run DriveMaster and a reissue. (They're VERY similar to the Guv'nor, some say identical.) The reissue is a bit brighter, has a harder feel and a touch more drive than the original. I've heard others say the same when comparing the old versus new Guv'nor. I prefer the original version by a good margin.

I never tried the little brass colored version that came out several years ago. From what I read, the consensus seemed to be that the original was preferable.

I absolutely love my old first run DriveMaster, scratchy pots and all. It sounds fantastic going into my '78 JMP 2203 and it can take the amp from classic rock to melt-your-face screaming leads and heavy metal rhythm thickness. It's like having two foot switchable channels. I don't think it's a stretch to say that one would achieve the same results with the Guv'nor.

If I were shopping for any of the big black versions of the Guv'nor or DriveMaster today I'd find an original "made in UK" example in good shape. (The first run included ones made in UK and later made in Korea)

JohnH

Reaction score
The Guv'nor II was a good pedal. It has a very strong metal case, not plastic. It is True Bypass. It does not have SMD components (not that there's anything wrong if it did).

The G II has circuitry very closely based on the original design, plus an extra deep boost at the end. But, there one or two components where the design looses a little 'edge' in its tone compared to the original. This can be fixed DIY however.

The current reissue is based entirely on the original.

FleshOnGear

Harmonic Hermit
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Guv'nor II was a good pedal. It has a very strong metal case, not plastic. It is True Bypass. It does not have SMD components (not that there's anything wrong if it did).

The G II has circuitry very closely based on the original design, plus an extra deep boost at the end. But, there one or two components where the design looses a little 'edge' in its tone compared to the original. This can be fixed DIY however.

The current reissue is based entirely on the original.
I used to own a G2, and I thought it was a fine pedal. I wish I could say I’ve ever played an original, but I never thought there was anything wrong with the G2.