Theft at Fretted Americana

• Thread starter Nuke93
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Nuke93

Reaction score
Not sure if anybody posted this info on MF yet but Fretted Americana guitar shop just had about 130 guitars stolen recently. These are all either special or antique guitars and none were exactly inexpensive. There is a list of the items taken posted throughout various web sites.

strat59

Reaction score
His prices are rather high........... if you can't sell em, claim the insurance :naughty:

MaxFrames

Reaction score
That is the problem with being famed. That shop gained much visibility on the web thanks to the PhilX show, and apparently someone made 1+1 and tried their hands at it.
Sorry to hear that anyway.

shredless

Reaction score
How would you even sell stuff like that?

The Ozzk

Reaction score
How can you steal 130 guitars just like that? I think there is more to this story. You don't take 130 in the back of your truck. you need some sort of moving truck.

Someone must have seen something.

Inside job? :hmm:

Redstone

Reaction score
How can you steal 130 guitars just like that? I think there is more to this story. You don't take 130 in the back of your truck. you need some sort of moving truck.

Someone must have seen something.

Inside job? :hmm:

Some guys stole 50+ guitars from a tiny store not long from me, about a year ago. I wouldn't have even guessed that they even had 50 guitars in the store.

Ricochet

Reaction score
Sounds like a couple of dumbasses(with a truck). 130 guitars would take some 'professional' planning if just for the logistics part. On the other hand, Fretted Americana must have an extensive database documenting each and every guitar with pics from the serial, down to the last nick. Every knowledgable buyer, I mean one that is willing to pay big bucks for a good guitar, also knows FA, and is liable to call the cops on them, times 130.

kamran

Reaction score
I remember reading about a guitar thief getting arrested after stealing axes from a few different stores, when they caught him in the act know how he was stealing them? He was putting the neck down one pant leg and hiding the body against his own body under a large jacket. who would have thought that plan would work multiple times?

chadd

Reaction score
Every knowledgable buyer, I mean one that is willing to pay big bucks for a good guitar, also knows FA, and is liable to call the cops on them, times 130.
Not everyone is as honest as you seem to think. Especially if they are getting a deal or are able to secure a piece that they have been wanting for a while.

Strateuphoria

Reaction score
This is bad, all those guitars are vintage and rare pieces.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eQz31kWiH8]Chappers & Capt Lee in Los Angeles - Part Three: The 1956 Fender Esquire - YouTube[/ame]
Chappers shows you how to get in...

strat59

Reaction score
Fretted Americana would have state of the art security....... unless PhilX forgot to turn it on when leaving .

Seriously the owner is a wealthy Vintage Book dealer. He wouldn't scrimp on installing the best security. Definitely an in the know job.

Anyone check with the Harrisons of Vintage & Rare UK :naughty:
Well known handlers of Stolen Vintage Guitars.

Those will disappear into (Very) pivate collections never to be seen again. Unless it was staged for insurance ?

chuckharmonjr

In Memorandum
Reaction score
About as far south in Alabama as you can go withou
Fretted Americana would have state of the art security....... unless PhilX forgot to turn it on when leaving .

Seriously the owner is a wealthy Vintage Book dealer. He wouldn't scrimp on installing the best security. Definitely an in the know job.

Anyone check with the Harrisons of Vintage & Rare UK :naughty:
Well known handlers of Stolen Vintage Guitars.

Those will disappear into (Very) pivate collections never to be seen again. Unless it was staged for insurance ?

or both

Barfly

Expert bottle opener.
Reaction score
it's a shame. I hate that there are so many thieves out there ripping people off.