Things that people don't tell you before you have a kid

• Thread starter What?
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

nortiks

Reaction score
When they are two or three, it feels like it will take 50 years to get them off to college.
When they go off to college, it feels like it was only 5 years ago that they were two or three.

What?

Reaction score
From what I hear it's totally worth it, but I wouldn't know.

I spent my younger years kidless, and I'm glad that I did so. I got to do a lot of exploring of this and that. Looking back, I also wasted too much time. I recognize too that virtually all parents I know who had kids in their younger years are ignorant to so many things because of so much time being spent raising their kids. Now that my kid is here I wouldn't give her up for anything. And I will probably regret getting less time with her as she gets older due to waiting so long. I wouldn't recommend to anyone waiting until your 40's to have a kid, but then again, I'm glad that I did.

nortiks

Reaction score
I spent my younger years kidless, and I'm glad that I did so. I got to do a lot of exploring of this and that. Looking back, I also wasted too much time. I recognize too that virtually all parents I know who had kids in their younger years are ignorant to so many things because of so much time being spent raising their kids. Now that my kid is here I wouldn't give her up for anything. And I will probably regret getting less time with her as she gets older due to waiting so long. I wouldn't recommend to anyone waiting until your 40's to have a kid, but then again, I'm glad that I did.
Same here, lol I was 50 for my first and like you, glad I waited. Kids got a much better dad than would have happened if I did all of that "on time". But you're right about the flip side of having less time with them going forward...gotta make every day count.

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
That's truly awesome, man. I'm 56 (almost 57) and I figure that ship has sailed for me.