Thinking of an EVH 5150 III

• Thread starter kermitz
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

kermitz

Reaction score
So i went to my local shop and tried a few amps. There was this white EVH 5150 III half stack there. This thing looked great in white. I plugged into it and wow. Channel 1 was really clean, channel 2 was nice and crunchy and channel 3 was insane...plenty of high gain and sustain. I really like this amp. I've researched it a bit online and it's got good reviews. Has anyone got any opinions of this amp?

12barjunkie

Reaction score
I tried out one of those at the Sweetwater gear fest last summer. Awesome amp! I read somewhere about a couple issues they had at first, but I'm sure they've worked out any bugs by now. There's a whole lotta tubes in that sucker, like 12 or 13 total!

joe web

Reaction score
i prefer channel 2 on this amp. really love that raw crunchsound.
channel 3 has plenty of gain, which is cool for solos, but to me it would be nicer if it still had that rawness of channel 2.
overall a good sounding amp, for sure.
i´m thinking of the new 5150III mini amp....gonna go to check it out within the next two weeks or so.

you should take a look at the peavey 6534+ as well. it has an improved clean channel, a cool crunch mode and the lead channel is brutal.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACqmSjl7QWc[/ame]

kermitz

Reaction score
I'll have to check that Peavy out. I too am interested in the 50W EVH III, the shop said that they should be getting a few in next month.

joe web

Reaction score
Id rather have a EVH logo than a Peavy logo ...... :) Its all about the logos man....

i know what you mean...my preference would be an old 5150II - but they are hard to find used.
the 6534+ sounds different from the new 5150III

tresmarshallz

Reaction score
Regarding the tone on that peavey 6534+ in the video.... from my experience tones like in that video cut through a band mix with all the ferocity of a wet noodle.
Really, how could a tone that bass heavy and scooped cut through a loud mix with drums and bass guitar?

RazorDave

Reaction score
Ive been playing one for about 2 years. Its a great amp. Tons of power, headroom, and gain. I just finished recording with my band about a month ago. It should be out soon. Heres a clip of just some crap I do on the side. The new recording coming out sounds way better than this clip, but you can hear it anyway.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2KkTZX-zso]RazorDave - The Goonies theme / Fratelli's chase Metal / Rock ( Razor Dave ) - YouTube[/ame]

Drewby

Reaction score
I got to try a Peavey 5150 recently, the fuckin thing blew me away. Tone for days. It's my favorite head(behind a 2204 and a JMP)

carrots

Reaction score
Id rather have a EVH logo than a Peavy logo ...... :) Its all about the logos man....

EVH is owned by Fender now. I would be interested in seeing the new EVH guitar. I dig my Marshall to much to consider anything but.

Strateuphoria

Reaction score
evh50.jpg

Anyone try these new small box 50 heads? the reviews say it has the EVH brown sound on channel two, I would have to try one out for myself before I believe that.

rjtm

Reaction score
Heres a song with that tone:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WfQ-hV3WtA]Van Halen - Tattoo - YouTube[/ame]

(tattoo- the new VH song)

emitch.sr

Reaction score
I'm glad most of the chorus maybe all of it is out of Eds tone.
I could not stand the van hagar tone. It sounded like there was an apple IIe computer (like the one from my elementary school in 1988) in his effects chain.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twcK2T6aeXY[/ame]

:D

Strateuphoria

Reaction score
these new 50watt heads are alot cheaper aswell, I see the prices here £800 available from March.