Thinking of going stereo. How to proceed?

• Thread starter FleshOnGear
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
For now I'm going to try the micro pitch setting on my H90 before buying another pedal.
That H90 looks like a seriously cool piece of hardware.
If I had one, I wouldn't be screwing around with little TC pedals and ABY switches either.
But TBH, that's a price tag higher than most of my amps.... :rofl:

FleshOnGear

Harmonic Hermit
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
That H90 looks like a seriously cool piece of hardware.
If I had one, I wouldn't be screwing around with little TC pedals and ABY switches either.
But TBH, that's a price tag higher than most of my amps.... :rofl:
I got a pretty good deal on mine, but I hear you. I need to clear out a few pedals to make up for it.

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
For only twice the price of a Mimiq you can get a stereo ZOOM MS-70CDR, which has the Mimiq onboard (along with 140 other effects).

Last edited:

FleshOnGear

Harmonic Hermit
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just tried a stereo setup using my 5215, and it didn’t quite work out. The master volume on the 5215 is before its effects loop, so I wasn’t able to control the volume at all. The resulting sound pressure was problematic. I could just go into the input of an amp, but I don’t want the tone to be uncontrollably colored by a guitar preamp. Looks like I need to budget for a Pedal Baby.

knulp

Reaction score
Great idea,do it!

But go slow and do it once but do it right.

you won’t regret doing it once you hear reverb,delays and all time based effects like they are meant to be.

You won’t need to duplicate an heavy tube power amp,you need stereo for your effects and need to maintain the integrity of your main dry tone.

Best thing is a Suhr iso line out that takes the signal from the output stage of your amp.
This goes to the stereo processing.
Then you need a stereo power amp.
That doesn’t need to further modify the tone.
So it can be a light and cheap solid state quality one like the Palmer one.

This way you could use your pedals like you normally do and just add the stereo h90 in a wet dry way.

But since you have time based effects done by the h90 i don’t get why you still need the loop.

knulp

Reaction score
Obviously you need stereo in the cabs too..a cab for the main tone and two 1x12 for example for the wet stereo.

The simplest and lighter that I’ve done is with two 4x10:
I used two speakers in each cab for the dry and the other two in each cab for the wet.

As you can see you need a clear vision of what you are doing,how heavy you can tolerate and you need to simplify the wiring.

to help we would need details..cabs you have and cabs you would get ..your pedals..

Wet dry can be complex and requires careful design of the whole system

knulp

Reaction score
with a power station you can use the line out to send the signal to the h90 so you won’t even need the Suhr iso line.

You only need a stereo power amp like the Palmer macht and a stereo cabs arrangement

The Palmer is 200 watt for channel at 4 ohm and is sold at 209/300 quids and is a serious piece

JeffCooper

Reaction score
Ya, I have an opinion on this subject. :cool: First, this is a dangerous, slippery slope and in my opinion is addicting.

So as part of some trade deal in the late 80's, I acquired a pair of JCM800 2203's and a pair of matching slant 4x12's. I had a Roland SDE-1000, so after a while figured out that I could plug in to it and take outputs to both heads (left and right)

Then a DigiTech DSP128 came in to my life, before I knew it I had every MIDI and rack mount toy I could find. I'd had dozens of stomp boxes over the years, but never caught the bug. I've current got a Boss BCB case with a few pedals that I never use, but that sits next to my rack rig built around a Marshall 9200, JMP-1, JFX-1, TC GMajorII, Korg Tuner, Power Conditioner, yadayada.

The combo's are generally a cord and a guitar set up. Anyway, I kove my stereo rig. PS -Id love an eventide H9! I feel a trade coming on!!

Last edited:

FleshOnGear

Harmonic Hermit
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I picked up a used Pedal Baby to run the second channel. The PB gets good reviews and I like that it’s Class AB instead of D.

Tonally, the Pedal Baby is more mid focused than the Power Station. Even with the bass and treble boosted on the Pedal Baby, it has a certain forwardness in the mids, without a ton of depth. I don’t mean to say the PB sounds thin; it has depth, just not as much as the Power Station. This isn’t necessarily a bad thing. It’s a pleasing tone. Also, I might be hearing less bass coming from the PB because I still have my cabs stacked vertically, and the PB is wired to the top cabinet.

I tried a patch on the H90 with the micropitch algorithm, and the combination of the pitch shift, the depth of the Power Station, and the mids of the Pedal Baby made for a satisfyingly chewy guitar tone. I’m quite pleased with the effect. Now I just need to see what other stereo goodness I can achieve.

FleshOnGear

Harmonic Hermit
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMG_0135.jpeg
Here’s the meat of my stereo rig (none of the rest of it looks very photogenic right now). I only run one amp at a time into the Power Station, then split it into stereo from there. One output from my stereo pedals goes back to the Power Station, the other goes to the Pedal Baby. Today I tried my Pastfx Chorus Ensemble in stereo, and it sounded so rich.