This JCM-1 will make me play better

• Thread starter Goes211
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Goes211

Reaction score
Just got a JCM-1H and I'm really loving it. I've got it going into a Sour Mash 2x12 with WGS Veteran 30s. It's very full and plenty loud (too loud, really) for my apartment.

Lots of talk here about whether or not it sounds like a "real" JCM 800. I can't say for sure as I don't have an 800 to A/B with the JCM-1. But I can tell you for sure one huge similarity between the big 800 and the JCM-1. It will really test your playing. Any sloppiness in your technique will be magnified by this little guy. I remember the same thing from the 800 when I played on one years ago. Turning up the gain will not save you! Missed or flubbed notes will not be disguised.

So as I continue to play through the JCM-1 at home for practice, it's going to make me be a more disciplined guitarist. Or, I'll just continue to sound like a sloppy mess - but with great tone. LOL

Bluez_Freak

Reaction score
It's such a great amp!

I just got mine yesterday morning and I could not stop playing power chords all night yesterday!!

The Jubilee mode sounds a bit more 'generic' and compressed but the normal JCM mode is awesome even if it has less gain.

Make sure to try the JCM mode with a decent overdrive pedal (I tried mine with the Hardwire Tube OD) to push the preamp straight into 80s metal. This is sooooooo Judas Priest / Ozzy sounding... :dude:

fast98dodge

Reaction score
I don't need an overdrive pedal to get killer Priest tones... I just plug straight in and dime the gain and volume and I'm there... I play along to the US Festival '83 and Priest Live and it nails the tone...

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Dont know if it will help you play better but you will definitely play more :)

Congrats on the NAD!

Stringjunkie

Reaction score
It's a great amp, I am using a reaper with mine and I love it. Actually I'm now using a green beret and I put the reaper with my DSL1.