This time I bought a Marshall 4x12 1960 cab

• Thread starter GibsonKramer
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

GibsonKramer

Reaction score
Once I grabbed the JCM1H, I wasn't happy with the little 1x10 cabs anymore. For whatever reason, they sound like dog poo with the 1 watt tube heads.

I bought a single Recto that sounded better in the store, than at home. However, I quickly discovered it is a perfect match for the Egnater.

I decided to quit dicking around, and just get a 4x12. I had some extra money left over this month, after bills and savings deposits, so WTH? Plus, as much money is in those heads, I want a nice cab.

Yesterday, I made a couple stops. Almost scored a fair condition 1960A. But, the idiots burned out the mono/stereo board, because they didn't look at the ohms, while showing another potential buyer. Instead of getting into a bidding war, for a now faulty cab... I helped the guy talk the price down.

He walked out of there with the G12-75T loaded 1960A for $250. The repair part, is $40 from Marshall.

I had a line on a couple cabs (A and B) off Craig's List and one on eBay (local), but the guy sold the A cab and was still working on stripping and refinishing the B. He was selling "as is" for $200 and I was highly tempted, but hesitant. He started sweetening the pot, offered to finish the rest of the work, and deliver for $300.

About this time, I walk into the little, local music store, that has everything you won't find at GC... there's sitting a Marshall 4x12 cab. But, something was off. I take a closer look. "1960 Vintage?", was the brass plate. Had him pull the back board, and staring at (4) Celestion Vintage 30. SCORE!

So I brought home a 2001 1960AV loaded with V30s for $575. Probably could have got it a little cheaper. But, I knew what it was worth, he offered it for a fair price, so I knocked $25 off his offer to avoid haggling and making him think too hard how much those Celestions were worth. :slash:

I think I did pretty well, considering what I've priced them at, most in far worse condition. I've seen better deals, but I think we both got a fair shake.

20151031_145146_RichtoneHDR_zps3r4umma2.jpg

20151031_144923_RichtoneHDR_zpsbfapajs6.jpg

The dings and rips on tolex. Grill has one small snag in it.

20151031_145101_RichtoneHDR_zpsffhwuacy.jpg

20151031_145116_RichtoneHDR_zpsso6vrnc8.jpg

20151031_145204_RichtoneHDR_zpshm27pmk2.jpg

20151031_145217_RichtoneHDR_zpseybsqyof.jpg

I wonder if I have enough yet? Though I still want either the JTM1H, or JVM1H. I figured the JMP would sound best... the JCM is so close to so many tones I want, though.

Amazing how big and loud 1 watt can be, running through a 280 watt 4x12 cab (don't hate! haha). It ceases to be "bedroom levels" at that point. :lol:

20151031_152435.png_zpsu4nnrgjs.jpeg

dreyn77

Reaction score
Wow! impressive!
hope you have some great times with them.

dash8311

Reaction score
I much preferred my JMP1H through the 4x12. Nice score.

Keep an eye out for a G12M 4x12, the JMP sounds great through it also.

soundboy57

Reaction score
Nice collection! Great cabs.
I will just throw out that I couldn't get $400 for a as new condition
1960AV with the cover, so I parted it out and ended up with $450 within the last two years..

Thing is, if it sounds great, and it's a keeper, who cares. Play it and enjoy it...not that much money difference to lose any sleep over.

Congrats:D

GibsonKramer

Reaction score
All depends on where you live. Most people won't ship something this big, and if they do... tack on a minimum of $100 extra. A Marshall cab, won't last long, around here. Way too many working musicians. Then throw in the people like me, just chasing something, they're finally able to seek.

There's like 3 used Marshall cabs, not in a GC within 150 miles of me. You'll find a plethora of MDF stuff, and other brands. But, Marshall don't last long around here, or they're trashed.

Heck, had that guy offered me the B-52 cab for under $150, I would have came home with that. He thought I was a dick... And I KNEW he was, when he wanted $200 for it.

I was led to this cab. :D

soundboy57

Reaction score
Yes, you are right on. They are great sounding cabs, too.

gjohnson

Reaction score
You know your gonna have to get a head that fits that cab! You need a big one to go w/all those tiny ones.:thumb:

GibsonKramer

Reaction score
Once I move out of this place, sometime next year. Yeah... I'll get something that will push it a bit more.

Standing in front of it, you can tell it's not really pushing any air. Those cones, aren't getting a workout. And of course, it only sounds better, the harder you push it. I'd hate to have that much untapped potential, for too long.

People would be shocked how loud 1 watt, through a 4×12 is, however. And how good it sounds! Worth every penny. Especially considering how much money, and how many modeling amps I went through, trying to recreate what I ultimately ended up with.

Latest posts