Thoughts on Nunos cheap shot at Slash?

• Thread starter Frank52387
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Lo-Tek

Reaction score
Wowsa. I kinda like Ted, he's a down to earth kinda bloke. Never cared for Tom. His playing is "something else", but it doesn't appeal to me. I'd have expected the two to be polar opposites of each other... must provide for some interesting banter when they grab a few cold ones!

I have a number of captions for that pic in my head... most of them unsuitable for this forum. Is it just me, or are you thinking what I'm thinking...? :naughty:

EDIT: Well, blow me down: https://boingboing.net/2022/12/15/why-tom-morello-and-ted-nugent-are-friends.html

Skip the cagefight, I'd love to quietly sip a beer and hear the two go at it verbally - that's gotta be a good laugh here and there! Shame the author paints Ted as a bit of a nutter and then finishes with this nugget "There should be no free speech for Fascism.". The author would be well advised to look up the definition of the word... :rofl:

Ah, screw it all. Where's my BLTTT sandwich...?

I'm sure I could come up with a few captions for the pic but my main point was that they seem like nice enough people- their eyes don't look dead to me.

Ted is freinds with Wayne Kramer (MC5) too- not surprising I suppose since they go way back. Those two would probably make for a more interesting conversation. Then again it's hard to imagine anyone having a conversation with Ted. He never shuts up. lol

I like Morello's playing. Particularly with Rage. Some of his other work less so.
RATM wrote some great riffs.
For originality: Morello > Nugent

If those guys are friends, everything they say publicly re: their political views are total bullshit.

Probably lots of BS... but people with differening opinions can still be friends.

PelliX

Reaction score
I'm sure I could come up with a few captions for the pic but my main point was that they seem like nice enough people- their eyes don't look dead to me.

Yeah, I don't see that either. Different people pick up on different things though. Dogs in my experience have better intuition that humans in general. :shrug:

Probably lots of BS... but people with differening opinions can still be friends.

Oh, absolutely. I love to sit down and "argue" with someone who has a completely different view on some topic - healthy debate.

PelliX

Reaction score
Nugent lives the life he advocates for.

Morello has a net worth of $40M, and has become part of the machine he claims to rage against.

RATM never stated *which* machine they were raging against. Something tells me it could well have been a photocopier or fax machine...

Though I think both your statements are dead on in all honesty.

jeffb

Reaction score
I used to have to schmooze with/help Ted at trade shows every year when I worked in the Hunting/Archery industry. This was the 90s into the early 2Ks.. He was much more of a type A personality back then and he was pretty tiresome to deal with.

He's mellowed out quite a bit in his old age. I'd probably get along better with him these days.

I don't have any kind words for Morello as a player or person. YMMV.

StrummerJoe

Reaction score
Both Bettencourt and Slash were at the apex of their influence 30 years ago. Slash (and Dave Grohl) are the A-listers for appearing on awards shows these days, and Nuno is a sideman who is trying to lend credibility to that role.

And with that, my give a shit is about zero.
PREACH IT!

TonalEuphoria

Reaction score
Regardless of whether Nuno or Slash reached their apex 30 years ago or not, there hasn't really been anyone new to replace them. Not that really stands out as much and has had major hit songs. Sure there are guys like Tosin and that moron who doesn't understand that bending is an actual technique. But their music is a particular instrumental type (particularly boring to me for the most part) and not very popular beyond that certain crowd. Nuno whether you like him or not is a guitar hero back then and now.

As his latest solo was talked heavily about recently and multiple interviews done. Slash is still Slash and guitar hero in his own right even though both their haydays were decades ago. They're still looked at so much now, because no one has come in to over shadow them and their music. And music today is so boring and new guitarists so cookie cutter unimpressive other than the techniques they ripped off of guys like Nuno and Slash. And it will be this way till someone does and things change.

Frodebro

Reaction score
Regardless of whether Nuno or Slash reached their apex 30 years ago or not, there hasn't really been anyone new to replace them. Not that really stands out as much and has had major hit songs. Sure there are guys like Tosin and that moron who doesn't understand that bending is an actual technique. But their music is a particular instrumental type (particularly boring to me for the most part) and not very popular beyond that certain crowd. Nuno whether you like him or not is a guitar hero back then and now.

As his latest solo was talked heavily about recently and multiple interviews done. Slash is still Slash and guitar hero in his own right even though both their haydays were decades ago. They're still looked at so much now, because no one has come in to over shadow them and their music. And music today is so boring and new guitarists so cookie cutter unimpressive other than the techniques they ripped off of guys like Nuno and Slash. And it will be this way till someone does and things change.

The music scene has changed considerably since the late eighties/early nineties. Guitar-based music (with solos) was mainstream back then, and it’s not anymore. Rappers are the new rock stars.

TonalEuphoria

Reaction score
The music scene has changed considerably since the late eighties/early nineties. Guitar-based music (with solos) was mainstream back then, and it’s not anymore. Rappers are the new rock stars.

I absolutely agree it has. I only meant it needs to change again from what it is now, (which is horrible) with new blood with real original talent and flare to take peoples view away from looking back at and listening to as much of the now older music and guitar heros.

On a side note, I hate rap. I've been asked to play guitar parts before on people's rap songs and I told them heeeeelllllll no.

:D

Im247frogs

Reaction score
Morello has a net worth of $40M
What a toolbag.
I actually don't really give a shit about RATM or Tom Morello. I did listen to the Battle Of Los Angeles twice, because I found the CD in the garbage. I was good after that. If I want to listen to someone political, I'll listen to old Megadeth.

TonalEuphoria

Reaction score
Pretty sure Slash couldn't play the solo in Rise.

I doubt he could play a quarter of the Extreme rhythms and solos. Even if he got it technically right, it wouldn't sound right. Like when a neo classical player plays blues and a blues player plays neo classical.

Lo-Tek

Reaction score
Nugent lives the life he advocates for.
Does he?
Back in the day he cheated on his wives and was well known to like under-age girls, including getting a girl's parents to sign over custodianship so he could legally bang her.
Not exactly a "good family man". I should think that is the exact definition of "groomer". lol

He's a hypocrite just like everyone else on the planet.

He claims to have no problem with gay people yet always rips gays and trans people.
Just another one of those guys that claims to love freedom - translation- he really means he loves his freedoms but everyone else can go away.

Funny how conservative leaning people so easily forget about his grooming and draft dodging.

TonalEuphoria

Reaction score
He's a hypocrite just like everyone else on the planet.

And that's the truth. Everyone has done something against what they may have stood for at one point or another. People are flawed to the core. It's all what we choose to do and why, and who the person looks to be. But the world is a twisted, messed up place with all forms of bullshit and people are forced to dig through it. It's the extremes of what they do that matter to me.
And what exactly that entails. I don't fault someone for cheating on their wife or getting drunk and doing something stupid as much as doing something traitous and betraying the country for example. One I may not like as much depending and look at them with less respect. The other I'd like to hang them by a short rope from a tall tree after using them as a piñata for a while.

Latest posts