Thoughts on the poplar body strat

• Thread starter X2203xman
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jaymz E

Reaction score
Gladly. It is due to the fact that you are running out of the more desired varieties due to over cutting. I worked in the lumber industry 20 years ago and poplar was crap wood then as it is now. The only reason places like lowes sell these poplar boards for more than oak is to give the "impression" of quality and make huge profit margins. There is so little fiborus content that they cant use it for paper, only for cerain mixtures otherwise its spruce and fir. They dont even use it for framing and it does grow large enough to cut 2 x 4's, 6's, and 8,s from.

I have dealt with this crap wood and it aint a guitar tone wood by any means. And basswood can come up and share second place. Junk.

I agree 100%

Ghostman

Reaction score
Gladly. It is due to the fact that you are running out of the more desired varieties due to over cutting. I worked in the lumber industry 20 years ago and poplar was crap wood then as it is now. The only reason places like lowes sell these poplar boards for more than oak is to give the "impression" of quality and make huge profit margins. There is so little fiborus content that they cant use it for paper, only for cerain mixtures otherwise its spruce and fir. They dont even use it for framing and it does grow large enough to cut 2 x 4's, 6's, and 8,s from.

I have dealt with this crap wood and it aint a guitar tone wood by any means. And basswood can come up and share second place. Junk.

Well whatever they are making out of Poplar, there is a thriving industry up here cutting the stuff. Incidentally, they are mostly sent over to Japan for whatever reason. Talked to a logging friend of mine today and we were discussing it. Apparently they can't get enough of the stuff.

anitoli

Reaction score
Ahh, but compared to other wood species what is the price point the Japanese are paying for it? I'd be willing to bet it's dirt cheap.

X2203xman

Reaction score
Again,all interesting points,most of wich,I agree with.I wouldn't even burn it in my stove,if my woods here weren't full of it.I guess I still will think of it semi-positive way,I can't deny that my two best strats were poplar.Then again,I'm burning a ton of beautifully grained, infested,ash,...sad but true.

blues_n_cues

VIP Member
Reaction score
poplar=:naughty:
0581.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

poeman33

Reaction score
My favourite body. The Ash body on my 2001 American Deluxe. You can look as hard as you want and you won't find a seam. And the sound...Aye Karumba. I don't care if a piece of poplar came from the garden of Eden. It won't sound like this.
DSC_0326.jpg

DSC_0327.jpg

SG~GUY

Reaction score
beautiful guitar,...makes me wonder why someone would paint a guitar with a nice grain in it in stead of just staining it

My favourite body. The Ash body on my 2001 American Deluxe. You can look as hard as you want and you won't find a seam. And the sound...Aye Karumba. I don't care if a piece of poplar came from the garden of Eden. It won't sound like this.
DSC_0326.jpg

DSC_0327.jpg

poeman33

Reaction score
Raven_Special_0712094combo.jpg

Manne's Raven Special- poplar over korina, maple neck with laminate core and resin fingerboard.
$3000 at Music Zoo

It looks nice. I think the high price is based on the uniqueness of it. It probably really is a "limited" guitar.

But I would personally never buy it. Resin fingerboard? To me that would be like putting my hands on a silicone boob :D It would make sense though if you sweat alot. It would probably be easier to clean.

SG~GUY

Reaction score
the "poplar" is vaneer, just for looks,..

hey!!! whats ya got against silicone boobs!,..after the break in,....there the best boobs available!!

66 galaxie

VIP Member
Reaction score
You pick. Epi uses more plys, but they are both veneers and don't affect the tone one whit. they do look nice sometimes, though.

I'm going to have to disagree here. The maple top on a LP is not a veneer, it is approx. 1/2" thick before carving.
A veneer is a very thin ( approx. 1/8" ) layer of (usually) decorative wood.

As far as tone... you can "bench race" all you want. (not directed at you personally)

anitoli

Reaction score
I'm going to have to disagree here. The maple top on a LP is not a veneer, it is approx. 1/2" thick before carving.
A veneer is a very thin ( approx. 1/8" ) layer of (usually) decorative wood.

As far as tone... you can "bench race" all you want. (not directed at you personally)

Galaxie, the maple cap on an LP is 5/8ths before carving. And it does make a difference.

SG~GUY

Reaction score
how many ply's in a silicone boob thou!!

I have seen some very nice "boob~vaneer"!!!

Salsg

Reaction score
hey!!! whats ya got against silicone boobs!,..after the break in,....there the best boobs available!!

Wow, they gotta have a break in? Like speakers?

So what's the quickest way to break them in? I can think of a couple of ways...........

Latest posts