Thoughts on the poplar body strat

• Thread starter X2203xman
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SG~GUY

Reaction score
I think it's critical we stay on topic of this post!

BOOBS!!

-break in is the fun part-

-well,..one of the fun parts!-

-pfffffffffff! I like all the parts-

SG~GUY

Reaction score
is swamp poplar,..poplar that's been in the bottom of the swamp?

like that crazy s.o.b. on "axe men"!!!.....who makes his living swimming in the Louisiana bu-you with gattors!!...digging up 100 year old logs and making big bucks off um?

-(due to lack of oxygen, the logs in the swamp don't rot in the swamp)-

well that's the word on the street...

BOOBIES!!!

wooo whoooo!!!

I bet silicone don't rot in the swamp either!!

duncan11

Reaction score
Poplar is complete and utter shit. Low density, soft, easily cracked, junk wood. The ONLY reason it is used is because it cheap. You cant even give this shit away to lumber companies or paper companies, they dont want it.
The tree is an oversized weed. It wont even last a year on the ground and it completely rots away.

My question is, if poplar is so good for bodies, why dont they use it for necks?

yeah but unbeknownst to you, I secretly planted a whole field of poplar trees in madagascar. So when I harvest them, I'll sell them as 'exotic tone wood' yeah they'll be plain tops but for the plain top/grain fans, soon they'll jump aboard my madagascarain poplar tops! :D

I only have one poplar guitar, it's my 1994 shit strat. It's an utter POS but it is MY pos. It's the first guitar that I bought fully and totally that I had no help in getting. It was gigged for 17yrs, all the upgrades done on it were done by me. I know it's poplar, and the only reason it's still surviving on this planet to this day 21 yrs later is the solid neutronium laced polyurethane laquer which is harder than a diamond protecting it. That guitar has been dropped, dinged, banged and there are only a few tiny dimple dings. I often think that this guitar was indeed poplar sawdust glued together and then poly'd up and painted white to look nice.

Worthless as it is, i'll never part with it.

X2203xman

Reaction score
yeah but unbeknownst to you, I secretly planted a whole field of poplar trees in madagascar. So when I harvest them, I'll sell them as 'exotic tone wood' yeah they'll be plain tops but for the plain top/grain fans, soon they'll jump aboard my madagascarain poplar tops! :D

I only have one poplar guitar, it's my 1994 shit strat. It's an utter POS but it is MY pos. It's the first guitar that I bought fully and totally that I had no help in getting. It was gigged for 17yrs, all the upgrades done on it were done by me. I know it's poplar, and the only reason it's still surviving on this planet to this day 21 yrs later is the solid neutronium laced polyurethane laquer which is harder than a diamond protecting it. That guitar has been dropped, dinged, banged and there are only a few tiny dimple dings. I often think that this guitar was indeed poplar sawdust glued together and then poly'd up and painted white to look nice.

Worthless as it is, i'll never part with it.
:lol: Well put.I'm surprised Fender didn't just inject foam into that candy coating.Fender does make one bullet-proof finish.

scat7s

VIP Member
Reaction score
most epi's use poplar for their caps with a maple veneer for the LP models.

like someone said...b/c its cheap and plentiful.

ive owned one basswood guitar that im aware of. for a long time it was fine. sounded great....I was playing mesa boogie/high gain/flat out.

later on in life when I dialed back the gain for a more "classic" range of tones/gain....that same guitar fell pitifully short on tone compared to my other guitars that were constructed with real wood. :naughty: sorry, I mean more traditional tone woods.

just sayin...that was my perception/experience.

Latest posts