• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Tips on how to cut thru on a solo

• Thread starter Force235
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Force235

Reaction score
Lately it seems I'm struggling to really cut thru during solos, it seems like I just need a boost in output, I've tried different pedals etc, what do you guys use, any setting tips, pedals, trying to make it as simple as possible, so as not to complicate it all. Thanks

Kladen

Reaction score
Either a clean boost in the loop or some kind of boost or drive, which lets you turn up the mids and turn down the bass :)

bulldozer1984

Everybody's Favorite Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
You need a volume boost in the FX loop. An EQ is best as you can boost the lower to upper mids which are the most important frequencies.. Also, ensure that you're not using too much overdrive.
The more distorted the sound, the harder it is to cut through..

ampmadscientist

Reaction score
Lately it seems I'm struggling to really cut thru during solos, it seems like I just need a boost in output, I've tried different pedals etc, what do you guys use, any setting tips, pedals, trying to make it as simple as possible, so as not to complicate it all. Thanks

How to cut thru on a solo:
Mad-Max-Fury-Road-Guitar-Player-Doof-Warrior.jpg

newplayeroldguy

Reaction score
And...thats just like having a large pizzia that has 10 slices and asking them to cut it into 12 pieces because you now get two more slices and its a bigger pie:scratch:

which is exactly why that scene is so funny- it still makes me laugh, of course, I'm easily amused- so maybe it's just me

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
Which amp? I assume the JTM? Boost in loop. With the 6100s, set lead channel higher volume and a bit more mid / high. Real easy with that one.

SirArcsAlot

Reaction score
IME the only time I've had difficulty cutting through while soloing is playing with a drummer with poor dynamics. I dunno why, but it seems that a lot of drummers will increase the intensity of their beats, usually adding cymbals and open hi hats during solos.

The rest of your band should be dropping in intensity during your solo, as it's your solo, not theirs.

plexilespaul

Reaction score
Which amp? I assume the JTM? Boost in loop. With the 6100s, set lead channel higher volume and a bit more mid / high. Real easy with that one.

the 6100 was THE amp to cut through the mix while doing a solo. something with the upper mids on the lead channel let alone volume ...i really enjoyed that amp while i had it.

blues_n_cues

VIP Member
Reaction score
the 6100 was THE amp to cut through the mix while doing a solo. something with the upper mids on the lead channel let alone volume ...i really enjoyed that amp while i had it.

not to argue but depending,it's all about placement too.:yesway:

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/rlc-ltd/just-riffage[/SC]

Dmann

Reaction score
I prefer a single parametric EQ bump of 3 dB @ 700hz with a Q of 2.0.

I've found that simply turning up louder does not "cut" but instead bury's your band mates and disconnects you from the mix.

roycaster

Reaction score
“Tips on how to cut through?” I am the wall of sound the bass and drums are worrying about. I don’t play with the guitar volume on full, that way I can always just reach down and turn all the way up if I need to…

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
Yes, placement is important so you can hear yourself but with a 3 channel amp, a boost in gain, mid /high and /or volume should be more than plenty.